Latest Bachmann weathered 16ton mineral wagons

Paul.Uni

Thanks also Paul. Didn't know that TMC were doing another weathered/rusted set from Bachmann, let alone 6 in the pack. Another 1 sold by TMC today. From the previous limited edition sets and the Bachmann main range versions, I've managed to get a rake of 20+ differently weathered steel bodied mineral wagons, that should complete my needs.

If anyone has pre-ordered the NCB set 37-236 from your local shop, you might want to check that they have been received. I checked with my 2 local shops, one of whom I'd ordered one set from, having seen them in stock with mail order retailers during last week, and neither had received them with last weeks Bachmann delivery. Both checked their Bachmann back order lists and found that Bachmann had made an error, not transferring last years order over. Both these shops have now had to re-order. 

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased the Bachmann 3 wagon set & on the strength of that also went a head & purchased the TMC 6 wagon set. On closer inspection I noticed that if you look at the wagons with the end discharge door positioned to the right, on the Bachmann 3 wagon set you can't see the brake rigging (as it's on the far side of the wagon), but on the TMC 6 wagon set you can see the brake rigging.

From a quick search of the net for pics of 16 ton mineral wagons, it would appear that the 3 wagon set have been assembled correctly, but the TMC set have had their tops put on the wrong way round ie turned through 180 degrees.

Can anyone confirm that I'm right before I go & alter the 6 TMC wagons?

Cheers, Mike C

Got a phone call from Kernow, saying that the following weathered mineral wagons are in stock.

37-235A triple pack in BR grey

37-236 triple pack NCB grey

37-253B singular in BR grey

Also The Model Centre have commissioned a six pack in BR grey. More info on http://www.themodelcentre.com/37-235Z/

£74.99???  :O

I think I will weather my own.

• Like 1

My various distressed acquisitions have now been picked up or arrived; I must say these are extremely convincing from normal viewing distance.  I only use this disclaimer because the real things had badly pock-marked and dinted sides which are nigh-impossible to replicate convincingly RTR, but by the same token I was seldom close-up and personal enough to really absorb that attribute.

As for £75 for 6 - that works out less than £13 each - which ain't bad for differently numbered wagons in rake quantities, admittedly I had some dosh earmarked for the type.

I

From a quick search of the net for pics of 16 ton mineral wagons, it would appear that the 3 wagon set have been assembled correctly, but the TMC set have had their tops put on the wrong way round ie turned through 180 degrees.

Can anyone confirm that I'm right before I go & alter the 6 TMC wagons?

Cheers, Mike C

Dear Mike

Yes, BR unrebuilt diag 108 minerals appear to have been amazingly standardised in the position of end door and brake rigging. Yes, the side with brakes showing should have the door to the left, TMC appear to be incorrect. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld

Paul

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have 2 of these and am happy with them, but they suffer from what is to my way of thinking a common fault in factory weathered RTR. the 'spray of brake block dust' syndrome.  I think that toning the wagons down further with a matt black wash over the factory weathering to indicate vehicles that spend their lives working in the coal trade improves them, and since I have to do this anyway to achieve the effect I want, will not be buying any more factory weathered ones.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Most of Bachmann's packs of weathered 16T minerals have been BR grey examples. I now have more than enough, but some BR brown or bauxite ones could find a use. Perhaps the soon to arrive 37-238 set of three will be followed in a few years by a weathered pack.

post-24481-0-54636400-1506957277_thumb.jpg

Most of Bachmann's packs of weathered 16T minerals have been BR grey examples. I now have more than enough, but some BR brown or bauxite ones could find a use. Perhaps the soon to arrive 37-238 set of three will be followed in a few years by a weathered pack.

Bachmann have done Weathered brown mineral wagons in the past, but quite a while ago, in fact back to navy blue box days.

They do not have rust patches however. Might be an idea to look out for them at shows etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...