Class 66 EWS 66111

leavesontheline

Am I missing something here?

Why would Hattons be listing 'more than 10' (i.e. new models rather than a one-off pre-owned example) of 32-725U which is labelled as a Limited Edition exclusive to Olivia's Trains?

Seems odd! Couldn't Olivia's Trains shift them? I'm actually in the market for a Bachmann EWS Class 66 at the moment but this does seem rather pricey - Limited Edition or otherwise! I actually picked up a brand new example of 66407 in DRS colours (32-731) for £67 from my local shop today so almost double this seems a little hard to swallow!

http://www.ehattons.com/88836/Bachmann_Branchline_32_725U_Class_66_Diesel_66111_in_EWS_livery_with_Highland_Rail_stag_Limited_edition/StockDetail.aspx 

Can anyone explain the significance of the Stag emblem to me and what this means in terms of where this loco operated in this livery (if anything)? Thanks...

• RMweb Gold

the stag emblem was put on by someone having a laugh i suspect

its the same as the one that used to be on the old highland 37s and 47s etc, i should imagine the reason this one got the stag is that it is RETB fitted for the scottish lines so will have spent a fair bit of time up there dedicated to whatever traffic it hauled in the RETB area, it is a widly travelled loco though, not just used exclusively up in scotland

i am going to invest in one of the Bachmann models soon as its one of the few EWS 66s ive driven for real on the welsh marches line, here it is in craven arms (with 66067 at the other end), the line was under possession btw so i wasnt going to get run over!!

DSCF4163.jpg

I guess it's one of the more individual EWS sheds, I wonder what the rrp would be if it's a standard release ?

From what I have read in the model railway press, DB Schenker have changed their licencing agreements for the EWS logos, this has resulted in the majority of Transfer and Decal makers to decide it is not commercially viable to produce EWS transfers and this on top of the rising costs being bourne by Bachmann and Hornby in producing the models have conspired to create a model that seems very expensive compared to how much it used to cost when the very first EWS 66s were produced in the glory days of when it cost circa 65-80 quid.

I think the shops deal with each other,   Olivias had Hattons class 28's  limited editions with sound fitted when they originally came out

JDM Models and R3sprays are selling the Olivias 66111 models also. probably works out better for them to spread them out over a wider net and get them sold quicker and recoup the heavy investments made by Olivias and Lord and butler to get Bachy to produce 66050 and 66111.

Hi everyone,

I had a good look at Olivias ltd edition 66111 today thanks to Colin and Mike at R3sprays at Bonnybridge show. It is very well done with the silver buffers, stag stickers and other markings that make this 66 that little bit different from the rest. I had been waiting for this one to join my fleet on Rannoch and I'm very impressed with the finished model. If you are going to the show tomorrow you can get them there.

Thanks

Mark

I guess it widens the target audience by distributing to other retailers - just not something I'd really seen before. This works providing the other retailers don't discount!

I also wonder if by the time the second retailer takes their cut (i.e. Hattons in this case) the original retailer/organisation who 'invested' (I don't really know how this works!) in the limited edition model, i.e. Olivia's Trains in this case, doesn't make as much on these sales as those through their own retail premises?

I see that Hattons are down to their last 66111 now!

I'm still tempted by one but it will take me time to 'build up' to spending this much on what is at the end of the day a fairly 'run of the mill' loco! Perhaps Father Christmas will be able to help me out! 

Yes, It's one of the Olivia's Limited Editions .

To add to the confusion Olivias are now selling the Lord and Butler Limited Edition 66050 'EWS Energy'!

Mal

.... and now Hattons have 66050 too!

http://www.ehattons.com/89484/Bachmann_Branchline_32_725X_Class_66_66050_EWS_Energy_in_EWS_livery_limited_edition_with_etched_nameplates/StockDetail.aspx 

I'm still tempted.........!

• RMweb Gold

But they are still available at Olivia's....

I've just ordered mine, kept resisting it but being as its one of 'my' locos thought it would be rude not to have one and i'd regret not getting one when they sell out

It can go with the rest of my 'pet' 66s which ive driven for real (mainly gbrf ones!)

Lord and Butler have some 66111 and some Garratts, at 1100 today...

66111's at Lord and Bulter or 66050's? Now I'm confused!!

Were you 'in store' or online - I completely failed to find the L&B website so ended up ordering 66050 from Hattons - my temptation eventually got the better of me!

66111's at Lord and Bulter or 66050's? Now I'm confused!!

Were you 'in store' or online - I completely failed to find the L&B website so ended up ordering 66050 from Hattons - my temptation eventually got the better of me!

The L&B website is still under construction. I had a conversation with Peter who hopes it will ready around the end of this month. It will also be a full e-commerce site so hopefully for those of us who live too far away to get there it will make buying from them much easier!

For clarification: Olivia's trains are selling Lord and Butler's class 66 as well as there own. Hattons were selling both but have since sold out of 66111 but still have 66050.

I've got both. And they're excellent models.

• RMweb Gold

I was in Lord and Butler's this am. They have some 66111 from Olivia's, some Garratts from Hatton's and some 66050 of their own. There has been a three way swap round of "exclusive" locos between the three establishments.

• RMweb Gold

mine arrived today from olivia's, lovely model but the body wasn't attached to the chassis, there were 3 screws tight in the chassis (1 missing) but none actually holding the body to it, not a huge problem as i have spare screws and i was chipping it anyway but not good for a £135 loco!

i suspect that it wasn't tested prior to dispatch or they would have noticed the body was completly loose

anyway, other than that i'm well made up with it, now do i get it weathered?

• RMweb Premium

anyway, other than that i'm well made up with it, now do i get it weathered?

Probably - yes........... complete with silver buffers.

Although here's a later pic, slightly cleaner and on a regular, local to me, duty. (66111 [my original, not an Olivia's Ltd Ed - ] will probably be on the JPA rake on Blackmill's last outing next weekend)

Cheers,

Mick

Archived