7mm WR Garden Railway in the late 60's early 70's

lancer1027

OK progress report. Last one for a bit as im away for the next 6 days.

Track has been laid all the way from the lift out bridge to behind the greenhouse.

post-6779-0-82523800-1440095401.jpg

post-6779-0-73370300-1440095427.jpg

post-6779-0-09452700-1440095450.jpg

post-6779-0-08902100-1440095474.jpg

post-6779-0-69689000-1440095507.jpg

The next pic show the first point laid. This is the start of the middle bi -directional loop. I have laid the next four yard lengths of track after the point and the next point will be nexy. Unfortunately the next couple of boards still require roofing felt. This will be the next job as soon as i can get outside again.

post-6779-0-63143400-1440095819.jpg

Each of the main lines and the middle loop should be able to hod loco plus 8 x mk2's .

Rob

• Like 5

Hi Rob, 

Looking great,  what are you using to fasten the track down? I ask because I had read that you should only use non ferrous fixings in the Medite Tricoya - I plan to use small stainless screws in the sleeper ends when I get to it.

Thanks Rob. I have used stainless steel screws. But i have used brass pins. Cant think for the life of me that a tiny brass pin will affect my boards which have been fastened to 4"x2" using stainless steel screws then covered with roofing felt. I guess time will tell. The main thing is the fist part of the railway the boards have been out over a year and nothing has happened. Even the un touched pieces that i have left out are fine.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of a report more of n up date.

I returned home from my weekend trip to the Telford show this year and managed to get nearly all the points i needed for my garden railway. This was 2x LH , 1x RH and  Y point all second hand ranging from £5 - £30. 

So as soon as i have some time and the weather is dry i will be outside laying more track.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. I have used stainless steel screws. But i have used brass pins. Cant think for the life of me that a tiny brass pin will affect my boards which have been fastened to 4"x2" using stainless steel screws then covered with roofing felt. I guess time will tell. The main thing is the fist part of the railway the boards have been out over a year and nothing has happened. Even the un touched pieces that i have left out are fine.

Rob

Hi Rob, the brass pins are non ferrous too so they shouldn't be a problem either.

It was good to catch up with you and Phill at Telford.

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 1

Hi Rob, just caught up with your thread, sorry but I always forget about Rmweb and I hardly ever look on the other place these days either.. fab pics you've made a lot of progress.. hopefully you can sort the viaduct out.. great stuff anyway..

Ross ☺

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Progress on the railway has been slow of late due to work/family commitments etc.

However i have now got the viaduct arch moulding patterns done and with a bit of look hope to get into position ready for concrete this weekend. (weather permitting ).

These were two pieces of 4"x2" nailed together ontop of each other to create a 8"x2" piece.This was done twice for each arch . These were cut to the width of the gap between each pillars and an arc drawn and cut.

So i have 8x templates ( 2 per arch ). I still need to dress the top edge to get rid of any bumps etc. The top edge will be topped with some plastic sheet or whatever i can get cheap as they will be skipped once the viaduct is complete.

I will try and take some pics over the weekend so i can explain a little easier.

Rob

Progress on the railway has been slow of late due to work/family commitments etc.

However i have now got the viaduct arch moulding patterns done and with a bit of look hope to get into position ready for concrete this weekend. (weather permitting ).

These were two pieces of 4"x2" nailed together ontop of each other to create a 8"x2" piece.This was done twice for each arch . These were cut to the width of the gap between each pillars and an arc drawn and cut.

So i have 8x templates ( 2 per arch ). I still need to dress the top edge to get rid of any bumps etc. The top edge will be topped with some plastic sheet or whatever i can get cheap as they will be skipped once the viaduct is complete.

I will try and take some pics over the weekend so i can explain a little easier.

Rob

If you didn't know already it's worth getting hold of some mould oil to coat the shuttering to make it easier to strip out, and prevent damage to the green concrete when you take the timbers off.

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Cementone-Concrete-Mould-Oil-5L-365667/p/833642

I suspect even car engine oil would do a similar job.

Peter

If you didn't know already it's worth getting hold of some mould oil to coat the shuttering to make it easier to strip out, and prevent damage to the green concrete when you take the timbers off.

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Cementone-Concrete-Mould-Oil-5L-365667/p/833642

I suspect even car engine oil would do a similar job.

Peter

Thanks for the advise. I will look into that.

Rob

• 1 month later...

OK its been a while since i last posted anything. I've been having computer issues. I now have a google note book but struggling to re-size and post images.

So if this attempt works i may have sorted.

This is a pic of D1033 Western Trooper being tested on the newly laid track.

post-6779-0-38910500-1446970203.jpg

Rob

• Like 2

No Steve.

I have done a bit of modelling simply because no decorating has been done yet due to Lucy's life is in boxes and stored in the conservatory while her flat is being sorted. :scratchhead: . Had the pleasure of driving up to Glasgow and back a Wednesday night / early hours Thursday morning with only an hour break for loading the car the other week.

No Steve.

I have done a bit of modelling simply because no decorating has been done yet due to Lucy's life is in boxes and stored in the conservatory while her flat is being sorted. :scratchhead: . Had the pleasure of driving up to Glasgow and back a Wednesday night / early hours Thursday morning with only an hour break for loading the car the other week.

Oooo not good. My stuff is still in boxes in the garage !!. Might have a sort out this weekend, no footy or kids !! Lol

Steve

• 2 years later...

It's good to see a standard gauge layout in this scale that looks really convincing, with nice rolling stock and scale length trains.  The viaduct looks great - impressive concrete which is weathering nicely.  We look forward to more photos.  Have a good summer!

• 2 years later...