New Ixion HO Loco Revealed - NSWGR Low-frame 32 Class

81A Oldoak

The Directors of Ixion Model Railways are pleased to announce that their next model will be the New South Wales Government Railways 32 Class 4-6-0 tender locomotive in HO (1:87) scale. This model will represent the class in it's original low-frame (P Class) configuration. This variation has only previously been available ready-to-run in limited-run hand-built unpainted brass, and that was in the last century!

Low%2Bframe%2B32%2Bclass%2Bblueprint%2Bf

These locomotives were the universal workhorses of the NSWGR, working suburban, mainline and branchline passenger, goods and mixed trains. One low-frame member of the class has been preserved - 3265, pictured below in its preserved maroon livery.

Maroon%2B3265%2Bcropped%2Bpaint%2Bdaubs.
The engines displayed many variations in their lifetime. The model will be paired with an ex-50 Class standard goods bogie tender. Whilst the computer-generated 3D drawings are still being finalised, we have asked the factory to look at the options of including both saturated and superheated versions, with both angled and curved running plates. Liveries are likely to include lined green, service black and the preserved maroon. More information will be available as we receive it from our factory. Delivery is expected sometime in the third or fourth quarter of 2015.

Your feedback would be welcomed. Email us at info@ixionmodels.com .

Phil Badger, Chris Klein and Lindsay O'Reilly
Directors,
Ixion Model Railways Ltd.
www.ixionmodels.com

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Dave that it looks a nice loco - but how common is that type of wheel arrangement - the first two sets of drivers are almost touching and the third set is some way back?

Sorry to say that this is one Ixion loco I won't be ordering - but that leads me to another question - now you have announced this, how long do we need to wait before we learn more about the next 7mm offering?

Actually, the short-long gaping is something that is quite common here in NSW.

A wonderful HO choice from Ixion. Having worked around 3265 a couple of times, I can say that it's a fantastic engine. All I can add is:

post-14921-0-55398000-1412597232_thumb.jpg

Well Phil, if you divert your Canberra trip to visit Thirlmere, you can see 3265 in the flesh (about a 2hr drive from Canberra)

I also hit agree on the basis of having to get one 'just because', and the engine being pretty. Having never met you, I can't comment either way!  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I can see Chaz having a few problems running your new loco on his Dock Green layout! I wasn't too far out with my guess of an Ivatt tank then ...

Not my scene but best wishes on your success with the new release.

• RMweb Premium

This is an HO project, but we are working with someone else on a new UK 0 Gauge standard gauge RTR steam loco.

There is some speculation about a new company OxfordRail in this topic (adverts in magazines and a blank website)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91184-oxfordrailcom-whats-all-this-about/

and there has been mention of Austrains having a new UK partner here ( post #33 page 2 proposed Kirtley 0-6-0 in 4mm )

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90695-austrains-british-venture/

Those two topics may be connected with each other and not involve Ixion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pure speculation on my part putting two and two together and probably guessing at the wrong answer . . . . in any case we'll know soon enough !

EDIT

In the time it took me to type that, some clever person has cracked the code on the 'blank' website and found it belongs to Oxford Diecast and they have a link to OxfordRail from their main website

There is some speculation about a new company OxfordRail in this topic (adverts in magazines and a blank website)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91184-oxfordrailcom-whats-all-this-about/

and there has been mention of Austrains having a new UK partner here ( post #33 page 2 proposed Kirtley 0-6-0 in 4mm )

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90695-austrains-british-venture/

Those two topics may be connected with each other and not involve Ixion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pure speculation on my part putting two and two together and probably guessing at the wrong answer . . . . in any case we'll know soon enough !

EDIT

In the time it took me to type that, some clever person has cracked the code on the 'blank' website and found it belongs to Oxford Diecast and they have a link to OxfordRail from their main website

Not them Mike. An announcement will be made by the principal when ready.

... how common is that type of wheel arrangement - the first two sets of drivers are almost touching and the third set is some way back? ...

Fairly common. The 'low frame' design particularly needs this layout to make enough space for the ashpan under the grate to fit between the axles.

Really interesting mix of design and styling features, influences from all around the world. And a great subject choice for a model; I could easily succumb in a weak moment, just because.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice interesting loco; I hope it sells well.

(Might I ask what couplers will be fitted.)

I wonder if it will tempt you to do 'proper H0' British at some time in the future.

(Not the mish-mash of sizing previously tried by certain manufacturers.)

"Nice interesting loco; I hope it sells well.

(Might I ask what couplers will be fitted.)"

The 32 Class, as do all RTR NSW HO scale locos now, will have Kadee knuckle couplers as standard. We are investigating ways to have hook draw gear also available for the front buffer beam. If the loco looks familiar to some eyes, that's because, as mentioned above, it was a variation on the Jones Goods loco of the Highland Railway.

"I wonder if it will tempt you to do 'proper H0' British at some time in the future.

(Not the mish-mash of sizing previously tried by certain manufacturers.)

"

Sorry to disappoint, but this does not foreshadow a range of UK locos in HO scale. The market for 1000 locos there simply does not exist; sadly, that horse bolted sometime in the 1930s...

Lindsay O'Reilly, Ixion Models.

Archived