DCC Concepts AD S8fx Solenoid Decoders

Agree. To power the two frogs of a crossover requires two relay poles, one for each frog which are opposite polarity.

I have a lot of crossovers and if I were starting again with the new decoder I would use one channel for the two solenoids of the crossover and then use the frog relay to drive an external relay to switch the two frogs. That way I would save on using the whole 2 channel unit to drive the two points of a crossover.

I can see the usefulness of one channel driving the two points at either end of a loop which do have the same polarity frog but even in n gauge my loops are so long that the points at either end are on different boards and so more suited to having separate decoders anyway.

Edited by davepallant

It is possible to work a number of the modules by a single push switch using a diode matrix.so it ought to be possible  to switch the entire lot at once to reset the frog polarity bits. Taking that further an electronic circuit that triggers a relay once at power on could be used instead of the push switch so automating the reset. 

• 2 weeks later...