Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

There's ANOTHER line!!!

Where will it all end?  (Ok I know, mid-day Saturday, but its too, too much.......)

Still the same image, fog3.jpg

Froth, froth, froth away

Gently down the stream

Oxfordrail has done it again

Isn't it a scream!

*sigh* now they've got ME doing it.....

I'm still concerned that no one has adequately explained the laser beam hitting the side of the locomotive.

'War of the Worlds' describes a train wreck lying on it's side in Woking station, destroyed by the Martian heat ray. Woking was, in 1898, served by the LSWR.... Technically the heat ray is invisible apart from the visible effects on what it hits but hey-ho

There's also a bit later on referring to I think the GNR line with people trying to escape stood on the tender amongst the coal, and the engine running over people in it's path as it heads northwards from the starting point on the outskirts of London too

• Like 1

I think there will be universal derision when it turns out to be 4mm scale model figures of John Betjeman and other famous poets.

Oxford Diecast made a model of Ivo Peters' Bentley that could be posed in the landscape while he was off somewhere filming one's trains going by.

Therefore I won't deride a little Sir John Betjemin standing there admiring the architecture. Then again I should be mindful that he might be carrying "Friendly Bombs" left over from his trip to Slough.

RP

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmm - Betjeman's best known railway films must be Metroland (Metropolitan Railway) and John Betjeman Goes by Train (Great Eastern Railway).  So there's some more nice tenuous connections to froth over (though to my eye, the OxfordRail image looks more Midland &Great Northern...).

• Like 2

Once someone explains the laser beam, I'll stop caring.

Still the same image, fog3.jpg

Taking the image and the poetic imagery together; I think someone wants to shine a light through the mists of time.

Personally, I'm not too hung up on the relevance of the image but am intrigued as to what Oxford feel they can "bring to the party".

Only when they have enough product to fill a few pages of their catalogue will we really get the picture.

I hope their tag line "In Pursuit of Excellence" is a true statement of intent.

RP

Who is this man that I can't see.
Who is this man who lives in me?
His life was short and didn't last.
An engine driver from the past.

I wondered whether the "orphan son" could be a reference to William Bridges Adams (who invented the radial axle) and William Adams (whose name became associated with the use of the radial axle).  However, both Adamses lived to good ages (75 and 81) so the above stanza doesn't fit.

Massey Bromley (who succeeded William Adams on the GER) died young, in the accident at Penistone (let's see if that gets past the censoring software), his death leading to the suicide of Charles Sacré - but these were locomotive superintendents, not "engine drivers".

However I think I'm trying too hard to fit a pre-conception into a wrong-shaped keyhole (and mixing metaphors to boot).

• Like 1

Hi,

I suspect the secret will be out tomorrow, Friday, rather than having to wait till Saturday as the digital edition of BRM is tomorrow and it appears it will be in the news section, unless i've missinterpreted the post elsewhere from the Editor of BRM.

What a shame all the entertainment will be over!.

But then, the world being what it is, once the truth is public knowledge, we are bound to see much frothing over what they are producing will we not.

Looking forward to even more entertainment.

Regards

I think there will be universal derision when it turns out to be 4mm scale model figures of John Betjeman and other famous poets.

Now, a DCC Sound model of John Betjeman reciting selected quotes from "Metroland" would be ideal for a layout featuring Heljans "Sarah Siddons" and Bachmanns London Transport Pannier Tanks.  A pity that 4mm scale is a bit too small for effective animation.....

Looking forward to the Big Reveal!    :senile:

Hi All  The picture is credited to Lyndon Davies who may well be Welsh and might therefore be known as Taff. There is a Welsh songwriter/poet of that name if you Google it.

Bye  adrianbs

I would guess there's a lot of Welsh songwriter/poets who would go by the name of Taff  .  .  .  .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't read anything into the signature, the producer of the Oxford Diecast "Globe" newsletter is usually signed "Taff", and Lyndon Davies is is the owner of Oxford Diecast.

He goes by the name 'Taff Oxford' on Facebook.