Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

Very pretty, and congrats to the perceptive who thought it was an Adams all along...

Now.  How much?

To be honest, it doesn't fit with my current layout or any future plans but I'll be keeping a closer eye on Oxford from now on!

Ah yes, the most important question....

I notice that the spec includes sprung buffers (Bachmann reckon these add £15 to the price), full cab detail and DCC Ready - but I'm pretty sure that anyone who wants an Adams Radial for their layout would buy one even if these features hadn't been included (at a lower price,of course) - who really needs DCC Ready anyway? - I'd estimate that over 50% of layouts I see at shows are still analogue (for analogue users the manufacturer's cost of fitting a DCC socket and blanking plug is an unnecessary expense) - and how difficult can it be to solder four wires in the right places - it should be sufficient for the manufacturers to fit wired connections on the motor each side and leave it to the DCC user to do the rest!

So it seems to me that this is another attempt at entering the top-end well-detailed models market (yawn!) rather than producing more accessible models which less well-off enthusiasts can afford. I fear (though hope to be proved wrong of course) that in the fullness of time the question will be not so much "How much?" as "How much???!!???". :-(

• Like 1

I'm more interested in seeing how Oxfordrail develop their range than this particular announcement, as it will be interesting to see if they develop the range along the lines of their road vehicle models, covering roughly the 1930s to present day and covering a range of items from exotica to everyday run of the mill vehicles.  There remain some large areas of non-steam traction that haven't been covered yet.  Mind you, a LNWR 4-4-0 and some stock would be welcome too.

• RMweb Gold

Not my region or timescale, but a welcome development. Maybe we will see one or two of my hit-list items later.

I will be interested to see what they mean as to the programme for future releases, hopefully some correct period stock to go with the locos.

Perhaps Taff will enlighten us at the Toy Fair in February.

• RMweb Premium

I'll be interested to see how long before it appears in the shops.

While I can see the logic behind making an announcement, posting CAD renderings, and the updates on progress from China, part of me would quite gladly do without the protracted build up. I'd far rather hear that loco X is our next release, and it will be in your model shop in a fortnight. I'm not sure that knowing what's going on in the background for the couple of years gestation period adds any to my modelling pleasure, and I'm not sure how helpful it is to the manufacturers business of selling trains. For every 'over the moon'  there seems to be an equal and opposite 'if only they'd done a .....' and a whole chorus line of 'is it going to be the right livery', 'is it going to be the right variant','is it going to be the right number','will it have dcc sound as standard','will it have ....'.

It might be a bit optimistic to hope that Oxford can get a complex, high spec, working model out as quickly as they can a new die cast model, but I'll be intrigued to see if they can.

• Like 3

Hi all   Tad worried that there is no mention of 4mm/ft scale, I do hope they know what scale to use.    It would be nice to see the Lyme Regis coaches, even just one, as they often ran singly but the only problem with that is they would have to make a complete duplicate of Hornby's Maunsell underframe, very expensive unless they have some arrangement to co-operate. ...............................................................................

Regards all  adrianbs

I think I shall wait for a second opinion on this, but I believe that the Lyme Regis coaches were all built on 58ft underframes, whereas the Maunsell Restriction 4 underframe was for a 59ft long coach. Have I missed something?

PB

Hi Peter Bedding, Confucius he say "Never open mouth without check to see if foot fits" Dontapedalogy easily avoided by quick check about Maunsell Coach underframes. Restriction 0;1 & 4, first, second and third phase standard Maunsell coaches all built to 59ft BODY LENGTH on 58ft length chassis over headstocks. Non corridor stock = FLAT ends, Corridor stock = BOW ends. Pages 117 et seq in "An Illustrated History of Southern Coaches" by Mike King, indispensible book and friend, no commercial connection, not even free copy but live in hope after this plug. Incidentally some kits of these Lyme Regis coaches were/are incorrect as the Guards Duckets are staggered and not opposite, as I and others have found out to our cost, too late. Regards adrianbs

It might be a bit optimistic to hope that Oxford can get a complex, high spec, working model out as quickly as they can a new die cast model, but I'll be intrigued to see if they can.

Quoted:

"For some years the development team at 'Oxford' have been examining the possibilities of bringing their undoubted skills at producing accurate and detailed models to the varied and diverse world of the UK model railway market and have now decided that the time is right for them to launch their first model......

CEO Lyndon Davies explained. "I, along with my development team have been closely monitoring, for several years the interest in model railways especially in the UK and now believe that the time is right for Oxford Rail to enter the market.

...... I am determined that Oxford Rail will be seen and judged on the integrity and the quality of our models that I, along with my team will be offering.

.......Oxford Rail wish it to be known that they are now open for business and it is the business of providing excellent quality models."

One might feel that Oxford are keen to plough their own furrow but before committing to anything they would at least have taken an example of an existing model that impressed them, showing it to their factory and asking the important questions regarding the capability of producing such an item at an acceptable retail price and profit margin within a reasonable time frame.

As ever, the choice of subject matter will down to personal preference but the statement has a confident ring to it and I remain optimistic.

RP

• RMweb Gold

I'll be interested to see how long before it appears in the shops.

While I can see the logic behind making an announcement, posting CAD renderings, and the updates on progress from China, part of me would quite gladly do without the protracted build up. I'd far rather hear that loco X is our next release, and it will be in your model shop in a fortnight. I'm not sure that knowing what's going on in the background for the couple of years gestation period adds any to my modelling pleasure, .

I tend to agree, Neil, the only caveat would be if it allowed me to make a choice as to whether to build the kit that's been in my Nutkin Store for years or flog it on E-Bay and wait for the RTR version. Heinous, yes, I know, proper modelling deferring to shopping, but there are times when it's easier to take the, er, easier route!  ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I tend to agree, Neil, the only caveat would be if it allowed me to make a choice as to whether to build the kit that's been in my Nutkin Store for years or flog it on E-Bay and wait for the RTR version. Heinous, yes, I know, proper modelling deferring to shopping, but there are times when it's easier to take the, er, easier route!  ;)

Ah but then the ideal time to find out about a new rtr model would be before the kit arrives in the Nutkin store and the Kernow purse has become less bulgy. Taking such economy of effort and fiscal prudence to it's logical extreme would dictate either advance knowledge of the major manufacturers rolling programme for the next twenty five years or stocking the Nutkin store on a 'just in time' basis. I'd advocate the latter as it's easier to control the personal procurement programme than to send out the Swagonian Stasi to infiltrate boardrooms and Chinese production facilities.

Regards, helpful of Aberllefenni

Rats! What are the symptoms of Lyme's disease?

Speaking as a follower of the Great Eastern, I'm delighted (and not just by being one of those who called it correctly here)!

Ok, William Adams did serve a stint as locomotive superintendent of the GER, but I've always had a soft spot for these locomotives which lasted well beyond their shelf-life on the Lyme Regis branch.  One of my favourite "locomotives outside my immediate sphere of interest", and an excellent choice for a new supplier.  I hope that there are no teething problems for them and wish Oxfordrail every success with this venture.

A popular model, and a dent in the plastic coming up for me (contracts permitting).

PS If you're reading this,, Lyndon Davies, another superannuated prototype - the GER T26 (LNER) has been suggested already - and gets a vote from me.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1

Ah yes, the most important question....

I notice that the spec includes sprung buffers (Bachmann reckon these add £15 to the price), full cab detail and DCC Ready - but I'm pretty sure that anyone who wants an Adams Radial for their layout would buy one even if these features hadn't been included (at a lower price,of course) - who really needs DCC Ready anyway? - I'd estimate that over 50% of layouts I see at shows are still analogue (for analogue users the manufacturer's cost of fitting a DCC socket and blanking plug is an unnecessary expense) - and how difficult can it be to solder four wires in the right places - it should be sufficient for the manufacturers to fit wired connections on the motor each side and leave it to the DCC user to do the rest!

So it seems to me that this is another attempt at entering the top-end well-detailed models market (yawn!) rather than producing more accessible models which less well-off enthusiasts can afford. I fear (though hope to be proved wrong of course) that in the fullness of time the question will be not so much "How much?" as "How much???!!???". :-(

Wait til you see RTR wireless control battery power in the next 5 years...Disruptive technology is the way of the future. And everyone better get used to it. 

I suspect that most non-DCC exhibition layouts are built by older modelers who are reluctant to invest in the newer disruptive technologies. 

I,ve been a fan of their military scale vehicles in recent times, made a change to British subjects instead of German ones done by others.

Can,t wait for details on this model, however I think Kernow was intending their own to be announced at Warley ( or it's the same model!).

• RMweb Gold

Ah but then the ideal time to find out about a new rtr model would be before the kit arrives in the Nutkin store and the Kernow purse has become less bulgy. Taking such economy of effort and fiscal prudence to it's logical extreme would dictate either advance knowledge of the major manufacturers rolling programme for the next twenty five years or stocking the Nutkin store on a 'just in time' basis. I'd advocate the latter as it's easier to control the personal procurement programme than to send out the Swagonian Stasi to infiltrate boardrooms and Chinese production facilities.

Regards, helpful of Aberllefenni

Thank you, O Helpful Person.

I am going to adopt your Theory of Model Railway Resource Procurement. Tomorrow, I will pop down to my local Ford Time Machine dealership and procure myself a second-hand (one careful lady owner) Tardis, and go back in time, and prevent myself from (a) buying all those kits and (b) developing any kind of interest in sausages.

Arsenal.

Wait til you see RTR wireless control battery power in the next 5 years...Disruptive technology is the way of the future. And everyone better get used to it. 

I suspect that most non-DCC exhibition layouts are built by older modelers who are reluctant to invest in the newer disruptive technologies.

I personally saw no point switching from plain analogue Cab control to DCC while DCC just controlled locos and their lights. But then came sound (and now cheap sound!), and I must admit I am really hooked by the extra dimension this adds.

DCC and cab control are perfectly compatible, helped a lot by DCC concepts for CDU units lights etc.

Think I,ll add sound to a Radial.

Not sure about battery power, they take up a lot of space and a loco motor still needs space for a decent motor to allow a loco to pull a rake of 10 coaches.

I have battery powered sound in one loco, and there exists battery powered light packs for coaches, but it is a real pain to change the batteries in these models and I would hate to do that across a large fleet.