Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

That means nothing

What about Virgin - given the way Mr Branson loves to apply the brand to all sorts of things a ill-informed person might conclude he owns lots. In reality the only thing he has a sizeable stake in is the airline - in virtually every other instance Mr Branson is a minority stakeholder in the enterprise and all he brings to the table is the "Virgin" brand.

Thus it is quite possible for "Google" to have a presence in China - but with the majority shareholding as it were in the hands of their local Chinese partner and thus satisfying Chinese laws.

China is, lest you forget, is still officially a communist country still and the ruling party have been very careful to ensure that nothing else they do puts that status at risk. Therefore while the Chinese Government have successfully pursued a capitalist economic strategy over the past few decades and have, on the surface, been quite happy for Chinese citizens to adopt capitalist tendencies as regards lifestyle, this is conditional on the party still being able to keep control.

Thus while the country may well be open to international brands like Google, that is conditional on the international company entering into a partnership with a local Chinese company who have a majority shareholding in the project. Consequently the intentional outfit is unable to do anything in China that might upset the political situation and is especially true with media / internet companies - where allowing the likes of Google to operate freely could have disastrous results for the Communist party and their attempts to prevent dissent or discussions over democracy or human rights for example.

So when Oxford say 'they' own a factory in China it is quite likely that is not true in the strictest sense of the word. Oxford may well 'own' 49% of the factory or are part of a partnership that itself owns a factory dedicated to making Oxford products but as with all things in china such a facility is only possible because producing models for western consumers does not pose a threat* to the Communist party

* if Oxford wanted to produce model buses with "free Tibet" slogans all over them then its a sure bet that 'problems' would soon be found by the Chinese and Oxford would quite quickly find themselves without a factory unless they complied with Chinese sensibilities on the subject

I am well aware of what happens in China. I am, after all, married into a Chinese family.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Ahh I see - in which case I hope I did not cause any offence.

None, we are all pretty pragmatic about the good and bad of it.

OT:

For example, my wife's cousin studies here and you should see the difficulties we have getting the money out of China to pay her fees and living costs!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Rapido have recently opened a second dedicated factory in China, which may or may not be physically owned by them. I am surprised that we are concerned about "ownership" which takes many forms the world over. In manufacturing, retailing and distribution many companies rent, lease or otherwise operate buildings for their exclusive use. Exclusivity allows the determination of what goes on there, of course, in compliance with local laws and customs.

My understanding from Oxford is that the factory for design and manufacture of its Diecast and Rail ranges is for their exclusive use, and they also have local representation based in Hong Kong, which has produced commissioned Oxford Diecast Items specifically for the Hong Kong market. Whether they have a long term lease or other "ownership" arrangement should not impact on their management of the facility.

Edited by mikeharvey22

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

To prove it can be done I modified one of mine, moving the motor backwards to clear the space under the front of the boiler.

post-6821-0-35002600-1500120038_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-75018000-1500120036_thumb.jpg

Details here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-mostly-freelance-bodging-bench-improving-oxfords-adams-radial/page-25&do=findComment&comment=2781162

Maybe not a quick or simple mod, but do-able with a few tools and parts.

• Like 5

To prove it can be done I modified one of mine, moving the motor backwards to clear the space under the front of the boiler.

attachicon.gif18.JPG

attachicon.gif15.JPG

Details here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82968-niles-mostly-freelance-bodging-bench-improving-oxfords-adams-radial/page-25&do=findComment&comment=2781162

You have to wonder why they didn't do that in the first place - obsession with flywheels, I suppose!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You have to wonder why they didn't do that in the first place - obsession with flywheels, I suppose!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

In saying that, guess one would of fitted in the boiler on the other side of the motor, but the looks of things. Very strange indeed

• RMweb Gold

18.JPG

15.JPG

Details here:

Nice job, makes such an improvement to the looks.

Roy

Rapido have recently opened a second dedicated factory in China, which may or may not be physically owned by them. I am surprised that we are concerned about "ownership" which takes many forms the world over. In manufacturing, retailing and distribution many companies rent, lease or otherwise operate buildings for their exclusive use. Exclusivity allows the determination of what goes on there, of course, in compliance with local laws and customs.

My understanding from Oxford is that the factory for design and manufacture of its Diecast and Rail ranges is for their exclusive use, and they also have local representation based in Hong Kong, which has produced commissioned Oxford Diecast Items specifically for the Hong Kong market. Whether they have a long term lease or other "ownership" arrangement should not impact on their management of the facility.

I seem to remember the Conservatives in particular, being very fond of telling us that "it didn't matter who owned <whatever it was at the time>". I could never understand this, because ownership bestows control of the asset in question. It allows the owner to take whatever share of the profit they deem reasonable: to make contracts and agreements without regard to the wishes or interests of any other interested party: to exercise effective control over manufacturing costs and suppliers.

Seems to me, that ownership matters a great deal, and the Chinese are well aware of this.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seems to me, that ownership matters a great deal, and the Chinese are well aware of this.

Depends what you own... aside employment and a factory, the Chinese tend not to care too much about intellectual property, when I was dealing over there, I was constantly asked about the "Chinese concession" to make consumption outside license for the domestic market, hence forth unregulated and goes everywhere.

Edited by adb968008

Depends what you own... aside employment and a factory, the Chinese tend not to care too much about intellectual property, when I was dealing over there, I was constantly asked about the "Chinese concession" to make consumption outside license for the domestic market, hence forth unregulated and goes everywhere.

Exactly. The Chinese know that if they have the tooling and the specifications, located in a country where you have no effective legal protection, they may do as they like - and do so.

Exactly. The Chinese know that if they have the tooling and the specifications, located in a country where you have no effective legal protection, they may do as they like - and do so.

Give them a break, they have a large proportion of the world's population to drag out of a peasant economy, and into the advantages of the developed world. Once they invent something new of the general utility of - oh - paper, gunpowder, magnetic compass, paper money  - then they will start to take an interest in intellectual property rights.

Or in plainer words: much of what we enjoy in the developed world was based on ideas and inventions long ago obtained gratis from elsewhere. Generosity with the results seems to me a moral duty.

Give them a break, they have a large proportion of the world's population to drag out of a peasant economy, and into the advantages of the developed world. Once they invent something new of the general utility of - oh - paper, gunpowder, magnetic compass, paper money  - then they will start to take an interest in intellectual property rights.

Or in plainer words: much of what we enjoy in the developed world was based on ideas and inventions long ago obtained gratis from elsewhere. Generosity with the results seems to me a moral duty.

... and there was me, thinking that the Western world achieved its great leap into prominence by inventing a few little things like, oh, I don't know... wrought iron, steel, mass production (first used for producing rigging blocks for ships), sea-going ships capable of regular long-distance travel, which were until that time unknown.

The Romans invented concrete. The British invented the steam engine and more importantly, made it work. The Germans, British and Americans developed deep mining techniques for coal and minerals.

• RMweb Gold

... and there was me, thinking that the Western world achieved its great leap into prominence by inventing a few little things like, oh, I don't know... wrought iron, steel, mass production (first used for producing rigging blocks for ships), sea-going ships capable of regular long-distance travel, which were until that time unknown.

The Romans invented concrete. The British invented the steam engine and more importantly, made it work. The Germans, British and Americans developed deep mining techniques for coal and minerals.

While, in 2017, China, this nation of rice-eating peasants, has managed to corner world manufacturing for most consumer durables and plenty of domestic precision items, like my i-phone, iPad and iMac. Who looks clever now? 

While, in 2017, China, this nation of rice-eating peasants, has managed to corner world manufacturing for most consumer durables and plenty of domestic precision items, like my i-phone, iPad and iMac. Who looks clever now? 

True - but is this not primarily a function of a massive population, an authoritarian state and a standard of living way below that in the consuming nations?

It can't last indefinitely, of course - the increasing expectations of the Chinese people are being, and will continue to be, met; with consequent reduction in margins.

Interesting times ahead!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 months later...

America spent most of the time up to about 1900 copying (without paying royalties) European copyrighted inventions/improvements.

It took a lot of pressure to get them to behave.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

My Tank loco has just developed a short, Running under DCC , Decoder is find, Checked that, Just shorts out even without the Blanking plate in. Very Strange. Have taken it apart and all that but can for the life figure this one out.

anyone have a similar occurence?

TIA

George

Thanks JS, Done all that, Nothing out of the Norm, Keeper plate taken off, Contacts ok, Not bared wires etc.  The Wires go straight to the Motor unless thats where the issue lies?

I'll have another look later today when I get home. It has not been Ran all that much either.

Well it looked like an extra bit of oil worked it way across the keeper plates and created the short. after mucking about with the loco it seems the Rear Wheel pick ups are pretty useless to with intermittent current getting through. I will have to work on improving that. It could of done with pick up on the bogie as well I reckon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...