Rob's 7mm WR workbench

lancer1027

Quick up-date.

Seats on the mk2 TSO being glued into position, which will leave the partitions around the toilet area and the centre partition. I will also start to make the tables.

D1033 Western Trooper is having its lights done. It has had its radio control equiptment fitted and tested but is running slow so may have had the wrong gearset fitted. This will be sorted hopefully by the weekend.

Rob

• Like 1

Today's progress report.

We will start with the Mk2's.

post-6779-0-10456200-1416048369.jpg

Here we have some more seats with their main colour on . These are for the last TSO ( of this rake ). Also are the corridor conection door ends which have had their first coat of green. These 8 are for the 2 x FK's and 2 x TSO's.

post-6779-0-49811900-1416048392.jpg

This is one of the TSO's with its main back to back seats glued into position. Just leaving the single pairs to be glued in once i have made the partitions ( hopefully later ).

I will paint all the headrests once all glued into position. I did try and paint the edge of the arm rests pale grey like they should be. But due to some of the casting not cast very good with armrests missing or only part cast painting them only highlighted the poor castings. So i have decided not to paint them and just paint the main colour with a different blue for the headrests.

This is my last Easybuild Mk1 that i have unbuilt. It is a TSO although not finished it doesnt need a lot doing to it. The most of the work is the end detail ie tell tale equipment , corridor conections etc. Once i have fitted the roof this will have its roof vents fitted and water pipes and filler points done then all painted. The bogies are nearly finished so can be fitted very soon.

post-6779-0-22973800-1416048468.jpg

Right onto Peak Number D23. This has just have its first coat of grey for the cab interior. A second will be applied once dry. This is so i can then add the cab lighting.

post-6779-0-11964700-1416048441.jpg

And finally for todays efforts we have D1018 Western Buccaneer . This is another of my JLTRT westerns. The bogies are ready to be fitted and will soon be going off to have its radio control equipment fitted.

One thing i have done to my westerns is make some  " window theatres" to install behind the body side windows. These have been made up of various bits of plastic and wire which have be painted. This isn't  totally accurate but i feel something needed to fill the window space. ( what are your thoughts )

These are some before fitting

post-6779-0-17431600-1416048704.jpg

post-6779-0-36839800-1416048725.jpg

From left to right..... engine No1 ,  boiler , engine No2

With a close up of one of the engines. Now when i first did these i wasn't totally sure but once fitted i was very supprised how effective they looked. So here are a couple of pics showing them fitted.

post-6779-0-05202600-1416048653.jpg

post-6779-0-47064100-1416048678.jpg

Plus a couple of the loco it's self.

post-6779-0-94040500-1416048495.jpg

post-6779-0-81677300-1416048520.jpg

I also have D1006 Western Stalwart which is finished but is dc and will be converted to radio control when money permits.

Rob

• Like 12

Thanks guys,

I have just glued in the cab lights using epoxy on the peak D23 ( just hope the soldered joints are ok ). This will be left over night and then painted over with light grey.

Also the fuel tank has now been glued to the ally floor and the motor apperture has been widened and tidied up. Tomorrows exercise  will be the tale light on either end. I have also prepared the headcode boxes ready for the 3mm warm white leds but i still need to get these.

The mk2's have the partitions marked out but need to be cut and filed.

I will hopefully take some more pics tomorrow.

Rob

Managed to take a few pics.

I have soldered the leds with wires and glued into the cab with epoxy both cab ends. These will now be painted light grey to blend it all in. Just noticed in the second pic a piece of fine plastic rod. Dont know how that got in there. But it has nothing to do with the wiring.

post-6779-0-99904000-1416135994.jpg

post-6779-0-10467500-1416136024.jpg

Next job is the headcode boxes and tale lights. None of these need resistors as they go to a lighting board which is conected to the radio control board. ( i dont understand it but the guy that installs it says what i need to do and not do so i go with the flow ).

I have opened up the motor apperture and glued the fuel tank into place.

post-6779-0-43791300-1416136050.jpg

post-6779-0-88492900-1416136072.jpg

post-6779-0-39719600-1416136101.jpg

And the last pic is the seating on the last TSO. This has just had the partition glued in. This will of course be painted to represent wooden panels. Also the headrests will get their coat of blue. I have started to mark and cut the plasticard ready to make the tables.

post-6779-0-28570500-1416136120.jpg

Rob

• Like 6

Yes it does look like that Jeff. Dont really know how it happened. Set and glued those 3 seats placed on the table to dry, checked to make sure still in the right place.

I then came back to them to do the other 3 and hey presto it had moved AND SET. I had to get the razor saw out and ease off. :stinker:  Not what i was looking for.

Rob

Managed to take a few pics.

I have soldered the leds with wires and glued into the cab with epoxy both cab ends. These will now be painted light grey to blend it all in. Just noticed in the second pic a piece of fine plastic rod. Dont know how that got in there. But it has nothing to do with the wiring.

attachicon.gifDSCN0721.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0722.JPG

Next job is the headcode boxes and tale lights. None of these need resistors as they go to a lighting board which is conected to the radio control board. ( i dont understand it but the guy that installs it says what i need to do and not do so i go with the flow ).

I have opened up the motor apperture and glued the fuel tank into place.

attachicon.gifDSCN0723.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0724.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0728.JPG

And the last pic is the seating on the last TSO. This has just had the partition glued in. This will of course be painted to represent wooden panels. Also the headrests will get their coat of blue. I have started to mark and cut the plasticard ready to make the tables.

attachicon.gifDSCN0729.JPG

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your modelling is not my era, but I admire your attention to detail and it really brings your models to life. It will be nice to finally see your rolling stock trundling around your garden.

ATB,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn, thanks for those kind words.

Yes i am really looking forward to "running trains " in the garden. I should be able to make quite a lot of progress next year. With luck, weather and health i should be able to get a complete circuit and even a second. Time will tell on the double track though.

I have now painted the second coat of light grey in the cabs of the peak, covering the wires. Next up i will solder the wires to the leds for the headcode boxes.

Rob

Edited by lancer1027
  • Like 1

I have just been doing some work on the peak cabs.

The Skytrex cab interior's are not right. The bulkhead if placed into the body would sit halfway through the cab door plus the seats are just lumps of resin with a back.

So i have been trawling the tinterwebbly for pics of class 45 cab interiors. After i came accross a couple that i could use i set about altering. First up was to razor saw the bulkhead off , extend the cab floor and re-position the bulkhead in the right place behind the cab door.

I have also removed the lumps of resin to be replaced with some scratch built seats that hopefully will look better. Of course putting cab lights in requires reasonable cab detail.

This is a pic of cab before and a pic of progress so far.

post-6779-0-26452300-1416161890.jpg

post-6779-0-28582000-1416161913.jpg

post-6779-0-09105100-1416162017.jpg

post-6779-0-67276100-1416162037.jpg

The black painted patch / area is the backing for the made dial plate.

post-6779-0-04641200-1416162062.jpg.

Obviously there is still quite a bit still to do plus the other end but at least it is a bit more progress.

Rob

• Like 6

Hi Martyn, thanks for those kind words.

Yes i am really looking forward to "running trains " in the garden. I should be able to make quite a lot of progress next year. With luck, weather and health i should be able to get a complete circuit and even a second. Time will tell on the double track though.

I have now painted the second coat of light grey in the cabs of the peak, covering the wires. Next up i will solder the wires to the leds for the headcode boxes.

Rob

Amen to that Rob, likewise here too!

ATVB

CME

Hi Delticfan,

Thanks for your comments much appreciated.

The Easybuild coaches are very nice to build. Straight forward and make up to be a nice model. Plus you get most of the detail bits in the kit apart from an interior.

Value for money my opinion is you cant beat them.

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the advice, I am also planning a garden railway so was on the lookout for a reasonably priced coach but not as basic as Kirk and not as expensive as jltrt. I like the variety of catering cars easybuild do, the only detail I don't like is end detail and gap to the roof but I'm sure this will not be too difficult to hide. Keep up the good work.

I have been working on the headcode boxes and wiring on peak D23 today. I will take some pics tomorrow in better light. Plus i want to make some more progress first.

The problem is when wiring im finding you cant remove the cab interior. So i will detail the cabs, glaze and then glue the cabs in so it makes it easier to do the wiring.

Rob

Bit of a progress report with pics. :no:

Here is the peak D23 . I have painted the inside of the split boxes black and the outside frame yellow prior to fitting the little boxes that hold the led's. These are square plastic section with a piece of 80thou as a backing with a 3mm hole drilled for the led to fit into. The other end will have clear plastic with the 2 characters glued onto and will then have a piece of clear over the top sandwiching the characters.

However the glue leaked around the characters so i have got to re-do. :beee:

post-6779-0-29983000-1416741840.jpg

post-6779-0-26613400-1416741866.jpg

I have also fitted and painted the new cab seats.

post-6779-0-81976500-1416741938.jpg

post-6779-0-60083700-1416741963.jpg

post-6779-0-90751100-1416741990.jpg

Rob

• Like 7