Chip resetting (CV8) stupid question....

F-UnitMad

Having bu99ered about with a Soundtraxx Tsunami I am considering resetting it to factory defaults, i.e. programming CV8 to 8 as per the instructions.

my dumb question is this; assuming the re-set is successful - it goes back to Address 3 etc, then I reprogram it again (change address etc) do I then have to go back to CV8 again & change it to something other than 8 (0 ??), to stop it from re-setting yet again, or can I leave it alone??

Hope that makes some sense??

Assuming the reset is CV8 enter a value of 8 (not all Decoders are!) then the decoder will revert to its as supplied defaults including address 3. It should not cause any loss of sounds.

Once reset, the decoder is normally reprogrammed to a new address number and any other CVs then set to the required values.

If you re entered a value of 8 in CV 8 again you would reset the decoder again back to defaults.

The Tsunami manual confirms that factory defaults reset is CV8 = 8.

Stupid question Part B is - does that reset the sounds to default as well as the main settings like address etc?? Can't find that little nugget of info in the manual !!

When I reset my Tsunami's everything went back to factory defaults.

So any changes to volumes, equaliser and horn type all went back to factory default.

If you want to make life easier you should think about a computer interface and use Decoder pro to read in settings after you have done them. Then after a reset you can put them all back from the stored info

DCC Concepts do a nice set of loco record cards-they are playing card size and come in a little plastic pack- on which you can record all the CV settings for your fleet.  Then if you have to reset the decoder you have something to refer back to.    You can get them from Gaugemaster, current price £5.95.  I have found these cards invaluable in the past.

Free software JMRI and a SPROG are an easy way of maintaining a record of loco CV values - without having to write them all down.

other interfaces can also be used, and other software, such as Rocrail,  also offers a similar facility

The advantages of using 'computer software' for CV programming is that they have usually accumulated a broad database of all decoders past and present and can identify the decoder inside a loco at the start of the test: then present rhe correct options for resetting or speed curve adjustments etc.

Look at CV8 the same as a push button reset on any piece of electronic hardware. Press it and it puts everything back to factory settings.

Hornby's TTS decoder goes a step further and you can also set CV8 to value 5 which only resets the sound variables.

Archived