Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

Apologies for lack of news from the Addison Road group - this thread relies on photos to add interest and much of progress lately has either been admin/planning or wiring - neither of which produce great photos!

Signalling has progressed however ..... and signals do produce good photos .....

Here is our first complete WORKING signal .... some detail inc rodding still to be added ..

post-4476-0-90872900-1426578487.jpg

And our tallest signal is under construction but its size is causing problems because we have to store the baseboards in a stack and distance between boards is tight!

post-4476-0-61130100-1426578383.jpg

Not all progress has been in signalling ............ paving has been extended too....

post-4476-0-64171600-1426578433.jpg

Oops! Hadn't realised that the photos would be so small!

Have just received some BIG NEWS for the next posting - keep watching!!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7

Well............. ermmm ........... if anyone wants to join and bring along some blue diesels I'm sure they will be welcomed with open arms!

Seriously, I think there may be some blue diesels somewhere in the group, but at a recent running session this was seen .....

D200_zpsecdd3246.jpg  ...

Big News?? Let me clarify ....

1. Have just received loads of photos of a MAJOR step forward with the layout .... all that recent planning has resulted in a major leap forward on the scenery front .... more next time.

2. ADDISON ROAD is to make its first ever public appearance as a RUNNING LAYOUT on July 25th - if you live within striking distance of SW London make a note of the date and come and see us in the flesh.

Now back to modelling !!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

OK .... things are moving on big time with the scenery now.

One of the biggest issues with any model display (not just model railways) is the backscene and the link between the 3D modelling and the 2D backscene.

Our resident computer expert, Grant, has been working on this issue virtually (pun intended!) from day one and recently he brought along some mock-ups to show us his progress....

At one end of the layout the tracks disappear under the Hammersmith Road Bridge ... Here is the basic first draft of the Hammersmith Road Bridge ......Keith's been working on this...............

HammersmithRdbridge02_zps6245de45.jpg

Grant has been busy printing off Kensington Crescent with forced perspective........this runs off the Hammersmith Road Bridge and curves into the backscene......

GrantatKensingtonCrescent_zps92ef5de2.jp

KensingtonCrescent07_zps435183a2.jpg

That Thorneycroft bus will need detailing - and weathering!

And two weeks later ........... Keith has added some more detail ..............

HammersmithRdbridge04_zps65547964.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7

You wanted BLUE DIESELS! We are giving you BLUE DIESELS! Well ONE at least!

SunnySouthSleeper013_zpsff54f09a.jpg

And we have one of these too...........

LSWRrailmotor014_zps134d4838.jpg

And if you want one of these .... we've got one of these as well!

Deangoods016_zps040e74cf.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's mid-May and all efforts are being made to launch the layout on an unsuspecting public at the club's OPEN DAY on July 25th - see RMweb diary.

So, quite a lot has been going on behind the scenes since we last posted.......... the extra add-on scenery only boards have meant a new mounting for the control panel behind the new backscene..........

ControlpanelmountedinR3_zpsfbbd3753.jpg

Brandon has cut down the baseboard bolts on his lathe ............. so setting up and taking down will be quicker now

Cutdownbolts_zpsb7d3f3f3.jpg

Clive has brought along his new Siphon H ...

SiphonH_zps18871c9e.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

What an excellent project this is and an example of what can be achieved when a group of like minded modellers just get on with it!  An object lesson to us all and surely this shows the benefits that come from being in a model railway club. I am in awe of the scale of realism and detail that has been incorporated so far. Surely this is going to be one of the stars of the future.

I hope very much to see this when it is unleashed on the public. Well done to you all.

Martin Long

Hello Martin

Thanks for your comments. Certainly such a project would be difficult outside a club and this project is a great advert for clubs in general and Twickenham MRC in particular. Core team members have taken the lead in various areas ... Grant in prototype research, Peter in technical developments, Pat in signalling, Keith and Steve in electrics, Ewen in track and Graham just makes things work properly............... a real team effort.

But 2016 sees a new challenge .......... the Addison Road team are taking the layout to its first outside exhibition ... and it's a BIG one!

May 6th 2016 will see us at the 2016 ALSRM 'READING SHOW' ................ but we'll need to enlarge the team in order to make that final push ........... so NEW MEMBERS welcome .... why not come along to our Open Day on July 25th and consider joining us!

Live too far away to contribute??? Don't believe it! One of our group members lives in Chicago, USA!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

It looks like your back scene shows a fictitious view of the east of the station?

Given the 3 layouts that I know of of Olympia, it's a pity that nobody has done the Exhibition Centre as a back scene. I guess I'll just have to do it myself one day! ;-)

Still, thanks for the blue diesel!

Guy

It looks like your back scene shows a fictitious view of the east of the station?

Given the 3 layouts that I know of of Olympia, it's a pity that nobody has done the Exhibition Centre as a back scene.

Guy

As promised, I have spoken Grant about this issue.

Firstly, the layout is built to be viewed from the Olympia side i.e. Olympia is behind the viewer. If we had built it from the other side Olympia would have been something over 2 feet high making operating from the back very difficult. We feel it would have also dominated the scene and taken the eye away from the railway.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Guy

As regards our backscene being fictitious, if you are referring to the terraced houses shown in the view of the SE corner that was in posting 29, this is a mock-up of Kensington Crescent which was completed in 1820 and demolished in the mid 1930s.

Between 1948 an d 1950 a large office block ... Charles House ... was built on the site which became HMRC's London Tax Office. This in-turn has recently been replaced by three large blocks of flats.

As our layout is (nominally) set just post Grouping we are modelling Kensington Cres .... obviously is it was set in BLUE diesel period it would be correct to have Charles House.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• 2 weeks later...

OK .... the modelling pace is quickening!  Our official 'launch' at our Open Day (July 25th) is fast approaching!

Work has concentrated on the main station building area .. fitting the new gas lamps that hang under the canopies..

post-4476-0-11265200-1433915932_thumb.jpg

More photos and news to be added later today ... come back later!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

Right we're back ... see previous posting!

The footbridge has been test fitted - just look at that detail!

post-4476-0-19804600-1433917068_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-76682700-1433917087_thumb.jpg

Not to mention a new signal .... so close to the baseboard edge that the arm overhangs the board!

post-4476-0-30612600-1433917107_thumb.jpg

Last but by no means least .... work has started on the Russell Road petrol station

post-4476-0-86206300-1433917124_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

The club in general and the Addison Road in particular are working away to prepare for TDMRC's Open Day on July 25th.... are YOU coming to see us?

Here's the latest on the footbridge - nice columns!

Footbridge-Addingthecolumns_zps9685b19d.

And some new posters around the gas station ....

Petrolstationandhoardings_zpsb9e648d1.jp

The station building continues to progress ....

DSCF7965_zpsf7bfbc11.jpg

And finally how about a close up of the track .....

DSCF7959_zps8fe7f437.jpg

• Like 9

Some cracking work there. 

Regarding the back scene, apologies, I'm not trolling, I'm just disappointed that with 3 layouts representing Olympia on the scene that nobody (yet!) has tackled the exhibition hall. I think this is architecturally much more interesting than Russell Road (as represented by yourselves and Loftus Road too).

I've just had a look at my 1916 map to see the position of Kensington Crescent. My apologies for describing this as "fictious" but Kensington Road is very straight at this point so you are definitely using artistic license to bend it to the north (but that's fine... it looks great!). Thank god the HMRC building has gone. I had to go there on occasion and it was a dull and dreary place!

Keep up the good work and hopefully I'll make it to your open day in July!

Guy

Last Friday (June 19th) saw some first draft mock-ups of the Russell Road houses which will form the backdrop to the layout. These are being reduced in size to 66% to help give perspective.

First is a real mock-up using the architectural plans as a basis - just glued to some old foam board.

post-4476-0-74186200-1435099540_thumb.jpg

Now here's the clever bit.......

Having photographed the real Russell Road houses and by using photoshop, Grant has re-created the houses as photo-realistic giant 'Superquick' style kits.

Here is the first pre-production one..... there was some discussions as to at what angle to pitch the roof, hence the two options put to the group. The shallower (incorrect) pitch actually looked better than the more accurate acute version. Note that the bay windows are not flat but 3d as are the steps. Each house will have different curtains and/or blinds.

post-4476-0-23519900-1435099494_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

..... I'm just disappointed that with 3 layouts representing Olympia on the scene that nobody (yet!) has tackled the exhibition hall. I think this is architecturally much more interesting ....

I'm sure Ron Heggs over in Spain (see the Manchester CLC threads) could probably knock this up in plasticard / styrene during his "spare" time....!

I'm sure Ron Heggs over in Spain (see the Manchester CLC threads) could probably knock this up in plasticard / styrene during his "spare" time....!

Not sure about that. There's already a storage of plasticard/plastrip and styrene, with his layout  :jester:

Regards

Returning to topic .............

The Addison Road group are looking to expand as the layout is currently being built by just five members .... plus one who lives in the USA!  The team will need to expand once the layout goes on the exhibition circuit as five is just not enough to operate the layout at a weekend show.

So .......... if you would like to be involved with this project ..... and be part of an active club (N, OO and G) which has a large library and a growing social aspect ... then please come along to our Open Day on July 25th ..... and bring some stock along to run!!

See our website www.tdmrc.org.uk

Two weeks to go to our 'launch' at the club Open Day and details keep being added to the layout ...

A trial fitting of the footbridge .... it has to be removable as it spans a baseboard join....

post-4476-0-07934300-1436710135_thumb.jpg

The foot bridge helps to hide the fact that the tracks converge onto the fiddle yard at the Willesden end of the layout ..

post-4476-0-18792300-1436710159_thumb.jpg

On another front the final chimneys have now been added............ made by our member John who lives in Boston, USA ....

post-4476-0-96839200-1436710179_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

What a wonderful project this is! The workmanship and attention to detail is stunning. Well done to all your group for their efforts.

Will you be running a "proper" timetable when exhibiting or running on an informal basis? A project like this would take masses of stock.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1