Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

What a wonderful project this is! The workmanship and attention to detail is stunning. Well done to all your group for their efforts.

Will you be running a "proper" timetable when exhibiting or running on an informal basis? A project like this would take masses of stock.

Regards

Martin

Ok......

Our Open day on July 25th will be our first full day's operating session and so we will be running a schedule of appropriate trains.

Depending on how that goes the group may develop that into running a proper timetable for use at future exhibitions ....

Why not come down and see how we get on?

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

Lovely work. I just found the thread today and it's been a pleasure reading through.

Will anyone be recording a video of the operating session? Or little parts of it perhaps? For those of us who cannot come see it in person.

Quentin

Lovely work. I just found the thread today and it's been a pleasure reading through.

Will anyone be recording a video of the operating session? Or little parts of it perhaps? For those of us who cannot come see it in person.

Quentin

Video? That's a bit hi-tech for a layout set in the 1920's isn't it? Maybe we could film something in 16mm B&W - would that do?

Seriously, that's a good idea, I'll put it forward to the group ......

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2

Quentin

Video team now formed and will be in action at the Open Day ... keep watching!

• Like 2

The Open Day is just over 48 hours away ... will we be ready in time?

Here is the latest batch of houses for Russell Road ..... I don't like to be critical but I think they lack detail and IMHO the colour is all wrong!

RussellRdroofsphotoKParkin_zps95445800.j

See you Saturday?

• Like 3

Looks like a very interesting new layout. I'll try and pop in to see it in the flesh on Saturday as I'm coming down your way from North London for another event.

Thanks for the RMweb postings. It's always good to see a new layout progress so well.

Peter

Sadly, one thing that seems to have escaped the attention to detail is the negative conductor rail in the pointwork (more so that the positive), parts of which would not only have had the collector shoes of a real train in short order but also look quite amateurish. Otherwise, it's very nice and will be interesting to see as it gets nearer completion.

Jim

Sadly, one thing that seems to have escaped the attention to detail is the negative conductor rail in the pointwork (more so that the positive), parts of which would not only have had the collector shoes of a real train in short order but also look quite amateurish. Otherwise, it's very nice and will be interesting to see as it gets nearer completion.

Jim

Surely there must be a more polite way of getting " your opinion " across.

Martyn.

Surely there must be a more polite way of getting " your opinion " across.

Martyn.

I can but comment as one who has been, and still is, involved in the design of conductor rail. Some of it is not just wrong, but very visibly so. There's no disguising it.

Jim

I can but comment as one who has been, and still is, involved in the design of conductor rail. Some of it is not just wrong, but very visibly so. There's no disguising it.

Jim

Quite so, but the "  look quite amateurish " remark, is not needed in " my opinion ".

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold

Jim

Interestingly comparing it with contemporaneous photos of the conductor rail arrangements at Addison Road some of it on the pointwork exactly matches what was there (although I don't know about rail height above running rail top).  Could well be of course that the way it is designed and constructed nowadays is a bit different from the way it was done 100 years ago but I'm no expert on either and can only compare pics of the model with those of the real thing and see exactly the same features in the same places in both.

Hi

Looks great overall. Love the proper LNWR levers with stirrup catch handles. Nice to see some historical electric stock represented too. Are there any plans for representing the District stock that was used on the shuttle to Earl's Court and the District shunting moves in connection with Lillie Bridge depot (LT) and the yards of scene to the South?

Interestingly comparing it with contemporaneous photos of the conductor rail arrangements at Addison Road some of it on the pointwork exactly matches what was there (although I don't know about rail height above running rail top).  Could well be of course that the way it is designed and constructed nowadays is a bit different from the way it was done 100 years ago but I'm no expert on either and can only compare pics of the model with those of the real thing and see exactly the same features in the same places in both.

The design of conductor rail equipment has changed very little over the last hundred years, save for the introduction of such things as plastic insulators and the disappearance of some of the odder rail sections, typically inverted channel, that were used on some of the original electrifications. Conductor rail is also extremely long lived and although it is getting to be a good half century since the heavy 150 lb/yd rail was introduced on the Southern Region, there is still a lot of the older 106 lb/yd rail in use on running lines.

Casting around the internet, I found several pictures of LNW conductor rail installations, including one of Addison Road itself. Interestingly, these all show asymmetrical splays, but for comparison, I have also included a picture of an LT negative splay - the engineering principles are exactly the same. The key point is that the divergence of the two conductor rails starts at the switch tips, ie they follow the two diverging track centrelines.

post-6524-0-00269200-1437843453.jpgpost-6524-0-33211900-1437843523.jpg

post-6524-0-21180200-1437843681.jpgpost-6524-0-73864600-1437844264.jpg

For comparison, I have also included an extract from a picture of the model, from which the extent of the difference should be all too apparent.

post-6524-0-99375300-1437844281.jpg

Regards,

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly one of the published Addison Road photos suggests that the section where the negative rail divides is shorter than the example you have shown although I think the angle of the view doesn't help.  There are a number of oddities showing up in the photos in Atkinson's book but they aren't dated and a  couple of them aren't easy to date although they seem fairly early in electrification terms (the first installation was in 1907 I believe, the LNWR arrived some years later and more lines were then electrified).  

I can certainly see what you mean in comparing the photos with more recent LT practice although I see practice was different at Watford on the LNWR/LMS line.

Sadly, one thing that seems to have escaped the attention to detail is the negative conductor rail in the pointwork (more so that the positive), parts of which would not only have had the collector shoes of a real train in short order. Otherwise, it's very nice and will be interesting to see as it gets nearer completion.

Jim

Hello Jim

Nice to hear from you after all these years. Thanks for your comments .... I have passed them on to the team .....

Paul

• Like 1

Our Open Day last Saturday was VERY successful .....

I am (I regret) a bit of an imposter as I don't model 7mm, I don't model British and I don't even live anywhere near Twickenham!

But, I did very much enjoy the Open Day and took several nice photos ... then left my camera behind! So more photos will be posted when I go back to club next week to collect it.

In the meantime here is a nice photo that was sent to me by Peter ....

post-4476-0-52982900-1437978963_thumb.jpg

And here is one of the Russell Road terrace ...... we'll need many more of these! Note each one has different curtains etc!

post-4476-0-04215800-1437978985_thumb.jpg

Lastly, if you are tempted to join TDMRC and join the Addison Road group then please note that the clubrooms are closed for refurbishment all through August, but we are holding a special meeting this Friday with a BBQ and the multi-gauge-running-track up so do come along and see us THIS FRIDAY........ otherwise we're back in business first Friday in September.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7

Hello Bill

Are you thinking of joining us ... our group has active members in Sussex and another in Woking and another in Boston, Mass, USA ...... so SE London is nothing!

All kind of membership options if you just want to support the project from afar .....

Our Open Day last Saturday was VERY successful .....

Lastly, if you are tempted to join TDMRC and join the Addison Road group then please note that the clubrooms are closed for refurbishment all through August, but we are holding a special meeting this Friday with a BBQ and the multi-gauge-running-track up so do come along and see us THIS FRIDAY.......

As the man shovelling the charcoal on Friday, can I ask that if any of you are planning to come along, please let me know, preferably with a PM by Thursay so that we can ensure adequate supplies, or conversley, saving me from an endless diet of burnt sausage for the next three months.

Thanks for all the positive contributions about this build, it's got some way to go but the team still have lots of enthusiasm for the project.

Regards

Steve W.

• Like 2

Some time back someone showed us a photo of an elephant on Addison Road station ... we we had to have a model of that!

This fantastic little cameo was not made by any of our members but the wife of the Leslie Bevis-Smith chairman of the MRC (Keen House). Leslie's wife, Carole, is an accomplished modeller ... as you can see ....note the individual spokes on the pram!

post-4476-0-18217900-1438770472_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-04424900-1438770153_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
Image addition
  • Like 10

Just to explain 'WHY' the elephant was on the platform ...

Bertram Mills Circus had a 'winter season' at Olympia from 1920-1966 and the prototype photo is a publicity stunt to announce the arrival of the circus in 1956.

In case you missed my edited post above, the exquisite  model was scratchbuilt by Carole Bevis-Smith of the MRC(Keen House) as a 'thank you' for the illustrated talk we gave at the MRC some time back.

A really BIG thank you to Carole!

• Like 2

Well, there's more to being a member of a club than just building layouts!

Photo # 1........TDMRC's annual summer BBQ was a great success this year .... as you can see!

post-4476-0-44436000-1438452687_thumb.jpg

Photo #2 ...... After the great success of the recent Addison Road Open Day, the Club committee discuss increasing the AR group's budget .... whilst cooking burgers! :jester:

post-4476-0-15017500-1438452937_thumb.jpg

But, returning to the Open Day ... did YOU attend?  If so, we would love some feedback please ... especially if it's positive!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

Hello again

Not much actual new Addison Road news this week as the club is now closed during August as our landlords (the scouts) are upgrading our clubrooms - hurrah!

But we have been busy producing a video of our recent Open Day ... we are so impressed with what we were able to produce with no budget, no practice and no preparation that we plan to make a new video over the next few months which will allow us to produce something even better as a permanent record of the club in 2015.

In the meantime here is our 2015 Open Day video .....

• Like 5