Now I put the blame for this on Andy (uax6) as we throw ideas, dreams and wish lists at each other from time to time both of us having an interest in older pre grouping Scottish locos. Richard (Ben Alder) cant get away scot-free either as he keeps turning out his wonderful small Ben class conversions that I simply drool over and turn green with envy every time a new one appears. check out his latest Blog and you'll see what I mean http://www.rmweb.co....ok-at-the-bens/
My goodness he has a greater production rate than the Lochgorm works.
Any way after stitching my mates up lets get back to the maters in hand. As some of you know I work to a tight budget so I'm always looking at ways to keep costs down so tend to convert ready to run locos to get what I want.
So while swapping wish lists with Andy one day he read mine and came back to me with the comments "Nice list but a bit short on passenger locos" Well I guess it was a bit tank and freight loco heavy but knowing that Richard must have brought every spare T9 between here and Inverness I knew I would have to look at another affordable source for a supply of suitable 4-4-0s to convert (I mean have you seen the price of the Hornby T9 on ebay lately?) I came up with an idea which I felt had merit and Richard kindly let me have a spare wide cab T9 body to have a look at and see if my idea could be made to work, All this has come along at the same time as the announcement of the up and coming GBL T9 model giving a source of affordable bodies to hack around (do you really want to pay £100 plus for a Hornby T9 and then take a razor saw to it? I know I don't)
So I looked around for a RTR chassis that would fit the bill and came up with the Hornby B12 the later one with the new style smaller motor, OK its a 4-6-0 but in its favor it had a front bogie and the driving wheels size matched or was very close to the majority of Scottish 4-4-0, With the smaller motor driving the front main axle I felt one could remove the rear wheel set and cut the chassis back with out compromising the motor and hopefully with out the motor intruding into the cab too much So a B12 chassis was sourced from ebay for £12 plus p&p and was offered up to Richards T9 body to see if it would be a marriage from heaven or hell.
To aid with the conversion I also got a set of Hornby T9 connecting rods to help reposition the center axle these were less than £4 from good old ebay (I saw a set last week for only £2.40p so there cheap and plentiful) In the first picture is the B12 chassis as it came.
Next is the stripped chassis under my little pillar drill with a pilot hole drilled for the repositioned center now rear axle this was found using the combination of the T9 rods and a protractor, in this view you can see a line near the old rear axle hole which will be the cut point for the chassis.
The final picture in this post shows the chassis now cut back.
Hope your finding this interesting and it might help some of you with thinking about ways of motorizing the GBL T9 as although I'm making this to fit a Hornby body the general idea should be relevant for the GBL model as well. more to follow.
Edited by Londontram, 18 March 2016 - 05:58 .