Steve's Caledonian loco work bench

His 51 P4 cyclops and my 49 P3 would have been almost mechanically identical the P3 being basically a test bed for the P4 some people have swapped out the 2.1lt P3 engine and gearbox for a up to 2.6lt P4 unit to give them more power and an overdrive gearbox for higher cruising speeds combine that with a Range Rover dif and you have a vehicle that is well able to keep up with modern traffic conditions. That's if you wanted to go down this path mine is a box standard 2.1lt with the original free wheel gearbox which is a handy device that once moving lets you change gear without the clutch.

If you've solely been driving it for a while I bet that makes for an occasionally interesting 'adjustment' when you have to drive a more modern vehicle...

D.

Let's just say the gearbox is a bit "agricultural" to say the least with no synchromesh on the lower gears and you tend to jump in it and try and change gear like a modern car. She soon complains and you soon get back into the old shift two three shift routeen pausing in neutral each way either going up or down the box.

Other than that it's not to hard to live with. The best thing I can compare it with is say a 1970s triumph 2000 with about the same size engine and power with about the same balance and feel to it

It also has a straight long legged foot well rather like a TR6 I once owned so even though it's 1940s it feels more 1960s in its driving manner. Great fun though.

• Like 1