Draycott (Camp) Halt Sidings (7mm Finescale)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi,

The History:
Draycott Camp was named after a local farm (Draycott Farm) within the area of Draycott Foliat and a Halt was erected there, upon the west side of the line (ex M&SWJR) approx 1/2 mile from the Camp and approx. 1 mile South of Chiseldon Station, being opened on 1st December 1930. Rather bizzarley, unlike the local station (Chiseldon) at the time, the Halt had the luxury of electric lighting! In the first three years of its existence a 1000 tickets per year were sold.

As early as the First World War there was a Camp at Draycott and during the Second World War a US Base was set up on the opposite side of the road to Draycott. A Loop (and Sidings) were installed in 1943 so as to assist in the War effort and the considerable WD traffic that this line was well known for, these rail facilities held on - by the skin of their teeth - until the early 1970's, being used for general goods traffic, including, whenever possible (taking unloading and loading facilities - or lack of them - into account), agricultural machinery and the usual goods associated with such a rural locale. Due to financial constraints and declining traffic (at the end of WWII) Draycott Halt Sidings, or 'Dreycot' as t'was known to the locals, was never considered for 'formal facilities so as to cater for the transportation of livestock', although the occasional ex GWR Horsebox had been spied there, from, time to time, as has the odd cattle truck or two, one would presume for Draycott Farm and Sheppards Farm respectively. Chiseldon Station of course already catered for most types of local traffic, yet Draycott, was used, by those locals, in the immediate area (the farmers et al.) for many years after the war.

The Real History (In Brief):
Draycott Camp was indeed named after the local farm, Draycott Farm, yet was known as Chiseldon Camp by 1930 when the Halt was built. The Loop and a Siding was also added in 1943 so with the main 'facts', at least, I haven't strayed very far with my own fiction of the line - hopefully this gives more credibility to the layout.

The Model/Layout:
The model depicts a small corrugated Goods Shed and two sidings, with the tailend of the Head-Shunt also represented, the Loop being 'off stage' so to speak. This is a classic 'Inglenook' type 'shunting plank' and will provide somewhere to have some fun with 'shunting puzzles' and to test new stock whilst Down Ampney is being built.

As I have mentioned before, I have many fond associations with the ex M&SWJR, spanning many years (the Highworth Branch too) although I was never lucky enough, or old enough (just), to have travelled on these atmospheric and bucolic lines. Likewise I have fond memories of Draycott and Draycott Farm also, so a small layout based, almost on fact, set in the locale of Draycott, seemed to sit really well with me - and, as is often the way, fate took a hand in providing me with such an opportunity...

The Eagle eyed amongst you will see that this is a tweaked - WIP - of Marc Smith's superb Clarbeston North as I was lucky enough to procure such from Marc back in 2012 (where does all the time go?). For the main layout build and details of my purchase use the LINK herewith;-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9892-minimum-space-o-gauge-layout/

As the winter months are here, thoughts have turned away, a little, from Down Ampney, back to fettling 'Draycott'.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77273-down-ampney/

.........I have taken a few photos of 'Draycott' so as to give a flavour of the layout and how my stock sits within such. It was a dry dusty day when I took the photos with wind swirling up a lot of - local - chalk dust, I was granted, with a little persuasion, access and was able to park up my ageing Marina in the yard I hope that you enjoy them.

Photographs and Text are copyright of the Author, Photographer and Owner 2012-2014 etc

post-11256-0-12598100-1415291351_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-01482800-1415291372_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-53049900-1415291387_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-33564600-1415291409_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-25413100-1415291448_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-00474000-1415291485_thumb.jpg

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 9

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the kind words!

Another a photo or two for you.

A 'spit and polish' RAF Landrover from Wroughton (RAF) has arrived to collect a few packages and contrasts with the rather down at heel ex SR Pillbox!

Kindest,

CME

Photos are the copyright of the Author/Photographer 2013-2014

post-11256-0-43489300-1415321867_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-63378100-1415321894_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

How about a general shot of the whole layout so we can see this delightful scene in it's full setting?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind words, for the whole build and my previous Posts on Marc's thread (plus how this ties in with Down Ampney) please see the LINKS at the top of the page and herewith (see Marc's Post #1 for photos);-

http://www.rmweb.co....o-gauge-layout/

ATVB

CME

When is the loco going to come?

Dava

You are quite right Diva - soon I hope!

I kinda like photoing my stock and letting my imagination have the loco shunting a little further down the line (out of sight). Sadly none of my locos are weathered/detailed as yet and would look a little incongruent. Hoping to get so more work done on Draycott and locos soon, maybe my 03 as that would work well on Draycott (after my Engine Shed and Brake Tender projects)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77273-down-ampney/page-3

Thanks for looking, and your interest.

Still a lovely & inspirational layout IMO :)

Phill

Thanks - it is Phill and acts as inspiration for Down Ampney and I have learnt a lot from Marc - any tweaks to the layout are minor in terms of scenery/detail and as the layout had been exhibited a couple of repairs to the structure and the addition of a new surround (proscenium arch) is on the cards.

I have an idea (or 3) for a similar layout that could - if it all pans out - fit in with Down Ampney (on the FY side of the garage). Using the same build methods as Marc's, with the ability of having it set up indoors from time to time, so that I can do some wagon bothering in the winter months.

Some very inspirational pics CME excellent.

The detail is very realistic.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks - very much appreciated - when I had comitted to buy the layout I was concerned that my stock may not 'match in' with Marc's work. The layout was even better, in reality, than Marc's wonderful photos had implied (and he is a superbly skilled photographer and thoroughly nice chap too). I then had to step up to the plate with my models and photos.

I am glad that my photos have turned out okay too - the layout helps inspire me to take more time with the photos/my photography.

My dad and I met up with Marc and Roger (at Membury Services - M4) on a lovely bright, cold day - dad sneaked out of a family 'do' for an hour or two (so we couldnt get to the Reading Show also held on that Saturday) - we had a lovely chat with the chaps, shared coffee and a doughnuts, all courtesy of dad, IIRC. Afterwards Marc and Roger headed off to Reading with some cash and coffee stirrers (my dad grabbed a handful and gave them to Marc and Roger - cant take him anywhere! LOL!) and we headed back home, everyone happy, LOL!

BTW no coffee stirrers were harmed in this, above mentioned, outing, or the creation of this Post/Layout and I hasten to add, that, I purchased a bag full from Ebay at next to no money - from a coffee stirrer friendly organisation.

Thanks for looking and Posting.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

CME,

I do like Draycott, here I am sitting in Canada, no layout, no 110 volt transformer, our local railway is also static, so photos of weathered wagons in grassy sidings are fine. I may head in the same direction over Xmas. The Shoc Van is well done.

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Friendly/supportive 1

CME,

I do like Draycott, here I am sitting in Canada, no layout, no 110 volt transformer, our local railway is also static, so photos of weathered wagons in grassy sidings are fine. I may head in the same direction over Xmas. The Shoc Van is well done.

Dava

Hi Dava,

Thanks - glad that you enjoy the photos and wagons, as well as the layout, makes it worthwhile to hear that.

Poor old you! Not like on the the TV prog, 'Flying wild in Alaska' type remote - I hope?

I like to take photos that I would like to see myself. So, if in the late 1960's/early 1970's, I was wandering along a country lane, and then came across the real Draycott - whilst out for a walk - and as luck would have it, I come across a loco shunting decrepit wagonry about the place, that kind of nostalgia really takes me there.

Kind regards,

CME

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, CME, much appreciated.

Our local line in Cape Breton has its own thread (link below), there will be more shots of rusty decrepit North American wagonry in overgrown sidings ere long. Locos make very rare visits as the closure application is in. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88033-cape-breton-nova-scotia/&do=findComment&comment=1659266 

We have to hope it doesn't get like 'Ice Road Truckers' here this winter! I hope to start on a micro-layout with a whisky flavour (Speyside).

Happy modelling

Dava

• Like 1

Thank you, CME, much appreciated.

Our local line in Cape Breton has its own thread (link below), there will be more shots of rusty decrepit North American wagonry in overgrown sidings ere long. Locos make very rare visits as the closure application is in. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88033-cape-breton-nova-scotia/&do=findComment&comment=1659266

We have to hope it doesn't get like 'Ice Road Truckers' here this winter! I hope to start on a micro-layout with a whisky flavour (Speyside).

Happy modelling

Dava

Hi Dava,T

Thanks.

Very atmospheric!

For your sake I hope that the weather is kind to you all out there.

Post a Link (either PM or here) when you start on the layout.

KInd regards,

CME

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I found this photo of a newly out-shopped, barely a week in service, CCT at Draycott, circa early-mid 1960s.

In addition a photo of of my AH 'Alexander' Sprite (akin to a 'Sebring' Sprite in many respects) which I left in the Goods Yard whilst I went off with a line-side pass so as to photo what I could find  :)  :derisive:  (not really of course, a little bit of self indulgence but the real thing isnt much bigger :mosking: ! - I was lucky enough to have been custodian of a Sebring specd 'Frogeye' - standard none coupe body GRP bonnet version, full windscreen, plus wire-wheels - with 110 BHP at the back wheels. Belting around in that lovely little car with the tonneau-cover wrapped around me in all winds and weathers (if it rained too hard when stopped at traffic lights I would put a brolly up :laugh: ) was bliss, the next best thing to motorcycling to my mind. I also used it as my daily driver as well as it being my hobby (I am sure that such a car would be a real financial luxury nowadays - beyond my means these days).

This little model car is far from perfect in cruel close-up and I think that as its a relatively rare model, it wont get weathered by yours truly (dont worry I am not turning into a collector :derisive:  - no value judgements for those that do). Reminds me of the Fast Show sketch;-

'Hello there, we're Cockneys do you know the way to Southend?'

I used to get that shouted at me a lot when out and about in the Sprite. I remember on one occasion I pulled up to give way to oncoming traffic and two young lads walked past - Im guessing that they were about 11 yrs of age and on their way home from school - and they both looked at the car as they passed by and over the sound of the sports exhaust one of the lads said, excitedly, out aloud, wow that's a tuned Frogeye Sprite! I was so surprised that he knew what it was - good lad!

I shall leave the stories of going airborne (John Sprinzel stylee) or the time, when on a rally, we scattered chickens in a farmyard - we had taken the wrong turn (my navigator sent me the wrong way - he would argue otherwise but that's my story and Im sticking to it :stinker: :mosking:  ) for another day.

Fond, happy memories - and that's part of the reason why we model railways and such like I guess. :)

ATVB

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the photographer/author 2015 etc.

post-11256-0-83744000-1427154095_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-72077600-1427154214_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Being a 4mm disciple I always find the level of detail in 7mm fascinating. This is so lovely!

A gentle shove perhaps and The Gospel According to Saint Luke, 15th chapter and 10th verse might apply. Some scenes on my evolving layout can be seen at post #779 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/page-32

A gentle shove perhaps and The Gospel According to Saint Luke, 15th chapter and 10th verse might apply. Some scenes on my evolving layout can be seen at post #779 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80426-cwm-bach-a-south-wales-branch-line/page-32

Chris,

Luke 23:34....

:)

Simon

Hi Fellas,

I think, judging from Peter Kern's superb modelling in 4mm, he is happy doing what he is doing - as he does such so well, yet Peter would be most welcome to join our honourable and most ancient order of O gauge, I would be happy to propose him for initiation :mail:  :mosking:

What I like about Peter's work, is, as with mine, he appears to have adapted military modelling techniques and skills and I am a big fan of the likes of Marcus Nicholls, Richard Windrow and Spencer Pollard et al.

Im in the process, as time permits, of selling off some more of my 'OO' stock and the locos are very nice, so much so, that with time constraints and other challenges of late, I have seriously considered going back to 4mm and moving away from 7mm (even though 7mm is my passion).

Kind regards to all, thanks for looking and Posting.

Kindest,

CME

Thanks for your comments CME.

You are half right - I spent much of my early years painting airfix harriers and hurricanes (not very well I may add). I spent much of my youth in shrewsbury model centre, which back in the late eighties when I was still in single digits was one of the most inspirational places on earth! The smells, the sounds of locos running loops and the associated background noises of the modelling world. As I grew up I honed my painting skills on warhammer miniatures. I didn't touch any models from about 18 years old but since my son was born in 2008 all the fun has returned to stay (I hope).

It does seem that the railway modeller fraternity stands apart and almost alone in its techniques. Military modelling is simply about making a static model look the best it can, and with no associated motion it has only that one purpose.

If anyone ever wanted to learn tips and tricks about realistic diorama modelling they could do worse than to buy a subscription to a military modelling magazine. Or indeed visit a show/competition, where the scenery can be tenfold the splendour of many a railway layout. There is a great show annually at the telford international centre that can inspire all sorts of new ideas. I attend every year despite not modelling military items myself.

Railway modelling is, to some, about trains and rakes and timetables and so forth. To others it's about the realism, to some it's obviously both. I think for me it's the second option. I would be quite happy to have a huge end to end with no electricity at all and just a 4mt or a BR blue class 47 sitting on display in the middle of it.

As for 7mm CME, maybe we could do a straight swap?! :)

Pete

• Like 1