Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

Could I suggest that we get back on topic rather than a discussion of Class 45 tooling, which could perhaps have thread of its own.

The November releases are a pair of coaches, a tank wagon and a wagon pack.

As I have already said I assume that the S&DJR Wagon pack to go with the Blue 4F follows on the success of the SE&CR pack to go with the grey C Class, a sensible choice I think. I placed an order at Warley.

Here's hoping there will be a loco, steam or diesel, in the first magazine of 2015!

• RMweb Premium

"New tooling" for me means the latest version (i.e. used for current production), whatever that may be.

As far as the Peak is concerned, the biggest omission from the Bachmann range using the current tooling is the 1980s flush front version, with or without centre headlight. Much requested but still not produced. The same can be said of Bachmann and its Class 47 - still no BR blue with dominoes and serck shutters despite being more requested than versions already produced and announced.

But these are too mainstream for a Collectors Club model.

Edited by brushman47544

Apologies, I hadn't realised that the last upgrade of the class 45 was more than just adding lights and a split headcode version. Either way more flush fronted versions would be very welcomed.

Getting back to topic, I think the idea of a second run of a pair of Sealink SKs for the Collectors Club is a great one allowing you to model a more prototypical train.

Apologies, I hadn't realised that the last upgrade of the class 45 was more than just adding lights and a split headcode version. Either way more flush fronted versions would be very welcomed.

Getting back to topic, I think the idea of a second run of a pair of Sealink SKs for the Collectors Club is a great one allowing you to model a more prototypical train.

I agree, although not my cup of tea, I was surprised they didn't run a set of four....

on the other hand it might be an awful lot more difficult to sell 500 or sets of 4 than 500 pairs of coaches. The livery is a little of an unusual choice so it would be difficult to gauge interest without producing at least a pair of coaches, probably similar to the pair of test coaches that was released recently

on the other hand it might be an awful lot more difficult to sell 500 or sets of 4 than 500 pairs of coaches. The livery is a little of an unusual choice so it would be difficult to gauge interest without producing at least a pair of coaches, probably similar to the pair of test coaches that was released recently

It's funny, I see it the other way, who would want to buy just two coaches unless there are more as a standard release to come.

A pair is no odder than any of their other releases, test trains normally had more than two coaches and the Royal Train definitely had more than a SLF in it. I think a second run of 2 SKs is a good idea though, if I thought there was a reasonable possibility of that I might even join the CC and buy the first two ! (They fit in with a 'nice to have but not so nice I can be bothered respraying a load' idea). As it is I'll just keep an eye out for them on Ebay.

Edited by Wheatley

After seeing the production models of the S&DJR wagon pack on Saturday, I ordered them today and I look forward to getting them. Just wondering now if they're doing their usual England, Scotland and Wales Coal Trader set as well...?

Also can anyone explain the background history to the Naval Store Dept. Tank wagon that was released at Warley please? Is it to do with the First World War?

A pair is no odder than any of their other releases, test trains normally had more than two coaches and the Royal Train definitely had more than a SLF in it. I think a second run of 2 SKs is a good idea though, if I thought there was a reasonable possibility of that I might even join the CC and buy the first two ! (They fit in with a 'nice to have but not so nice I can be bothered respraying a load' idea). As it is I'll just keep an eye out for them on Ebay.

Really?  I am aware of other pairs (GUVs, Pullmans, BGs etc) but you would be far more likely to get away with running those just as a pair or doubling up with other twin packs and maybe renumbering if necessary but here you will only ever want 1 x BSK so Im afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I think 504 limited sets of 4 (BSK and 3 x SKs) would have been much more ready to run that a two coach SK with BSK.  Even then further twin packs of SKs would really be required for those wanting to run a 6 coach rake.

Bachmann rep at warley did say if these sets sell well they will look at SK packs but really it seems a rather cruel twist of fate to sell people a 2 coach pack in the knowledge that unless you provide more those customers will never be able to make up a realistic rake as in RTR and effectively leaving them with a 2 coach rake they will never really run unless they get creative with the masking tape and paints or run with old lIMA MODELS.

Bachmann rep at warley did say if these sets sell well they will look at SK packs but really it seems a rather cruel twist of fate to sell people a 2 coach pack in the knowledge that unless you provide more those customers will never be able to make up a realistic rake as in RTR and effectively leaving them with a 2 coach rake they will never really run unless they get creative with the masking tape and paints or run with old lIMA MODELS.

Bit of a catch 22 as I suspect these coach packs would sell well if a follow on 2x SK pack was already promised. Do you buy this first release hoping for the latter?

Club Mag and Calendar arrived this am, and intriguingly the May 2015 page shows a Leader pulling sundry coaches.  A good froth prospect.......................?

In the 'Works Report' it has the GWR Hall, Long Tube Wagon and 64xx Pannier Tank as approved for production.

Club Mag and Calendar arrived this am, ...

I'll set my timer to see how long they take to reach the colonies. Service has been much better since they dropped that Swedish cut-price distribution outfit but it still takes a while.

The limited edition wagons are available at the Bachmann Collectors Club online shop. Overseas postage at a flat £20 is a bit steep. I don't know if they would charge the same way with conventional mail order.

I'll set my timer to see how long they take to reach the colonies. Service has been much better since they dropped that Swedish cut-price distribution outfit but it still takes a while.

The limited edition wagons are available at the Bachmann Collectors Club online shop. Overseas postage at a flat £20 is a bit steep. I don't know if they would charge the same way with conventional mail order.

I suspect they are covering themselves for the additional overheads of overseas postage. Within Europe at least the internet (an mail order) sales laws require the marchant to cover the expense of returning faulty or damaged items, which can be an expensive affair. The extra handling for overseas post could arguably introduce a greater risk of damage so it is hardly surprising that Bachmann pass this onto their overseas customers. Given the captive audience (these models can only be bought through Bachmann, you can't take your trade elsewhere) Bachmann can get away with this whereas other retailers can't.

I live in France so suffer from this high postage cost. I either order a sufficiently large number of items to spread the cost or have them delivered to my parents' address in the UK and then collect them on my next visit. This is far from ideal given the risk of waiting six months only to find the model is damaged by Royal Mail and Bachmann have subsequently sold out!

• 2 weeks later...

The magazine arrived here twelve days later than they did in the UK. (That's not too bad.) Ironically my limited edition wagons (ordered online) arrived in the mail box on exactly the same day. 

I thought it funny that the December TrainMail email from Bachmann arrived some hours before the Hornby email regarding their 2015 product announcement. Coincidence? Smart, I'd say.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• 2 months later...

Hi

I spoke to Dennis Lovett at the Glasgow Exhibition, about the possibility of producing the remaining coaches to complete this train. He informed me that there was no immediate plans to do so, but to register my interest via the collectors club. Apologies if you're reading this again. I wasn't sure which topic to post under.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

Guest spet0114

Hi

I spoke to Dennis Lovett at the Glasgow Exhibition, about the possibility of producing the remaining coaches to complete this train. He informed me that there was no immediate plans to do so, but to register my interest via the collectors club. Apologies if you're reading this again. I wasn't sure which topic to post under.

Stephen

Interesting to note that the January Trainmail mentions that they will now entertain repeat orders from club members wishing for a 2nd pack 'in order to create longer train formations'. Is this just their way of saying that sales have slowed up a bit? :)

Anyway, can't be long now 'till the next club release. My fingers are crossed for an E4 variant.....

Interesting to note that the January Trainmail mentions that they will now entertain repeat orders from club members wishing for a 2nd pack 'in order to create longer train formations'. Is this just their way of saying that sales have slowed up a bit? :

Hi

I noticed that on the e-mail also. Unfortunately you will need four packs to make a complete rake. Although, this will leave you with four spare bsk's. And not forgetting the having had to spend over three hundred odd pounds into the bargain.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Also a shame that the PO wagon is labelled L&NERy. and as such is not really suitable for use with the GC 9J as they are claiming.

I think I will give in nevertheless.

Edited by Andy Hayter