Sheep bloke's weathering. A very occasional series.

• RMweb Gold

The latest arrival, courtesy of Lord and Butler, is this fine member of the King Arthur class, Sir Meligrance. These really are very fine locomotives, real and model and the water cart tender is a nice variant.

This then will be the next subject for the dining table weathering department.

Rob

post-14122-0-65007000-1429874261_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-09708700-1429874284_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A prototype image, courtesy of the smashing David Heys collection with the original taken by Richard Greenwood MBE. Other images are from the Mike Morant collection. Fifty odd years on these photos are of immense value.

Though not of Sir M, I will refer to these whilst having a dabble. Nothing over the top just an attempt to show a working but cared for locomotive.

Rob

post-14122-0-20286500-1429874547_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-36350400-1429874570.jpg

post-14122-0-88220900-1429874811.jpg

• Like 1

Not as planned but had some spare time early evening so had a tweak at the 7F.

I am happier with it now. Still work to do below the foot plate and then adding crew, fire irons etc.....so still in progress.

Some interim photos then, including some cruel close ups.

Rob

I've only just discovered this excellent thread.

One question, how did you get that oily look on the valve gear and piston rod of the 7F?

• RMweb Gold

Thank for popping in Jon. I simply applied the humbrol powders and worked them until it just looked right. It must be the combination of the factory blackening and the powders that just worked.

I didn't use paint or washes on the 7F. This may change on the Arthur but only to improve the look of the copper pipes which look far too orange to my dodgy eyes.

I think weathering is very subjective. What looks okay to one may not work for others. Thank you for your kind words.

Rob.

post-14122-0-95165700-1429875307_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 5

Looks really nice to me Rob. I would remove grease from the internal worm and gears on the chassis when using powders as on some of my loco's the lube has spread over much of the boilers and ruined the finish. Powder just seems to draw and consume it.

Thank for popping in Jon. I simply applied the humbrol powders and worked them until it just looked right. It must be the combination of the factory blackening and the powders that just worked.

I didn't use paint or washes on the 7F. This may change on the Arthur but only to improve the look of the copper pipes which look far too orange to my dodgy eyes.

I think weathering is very subjective. What looks okay to one may not work for others. Thank you for your kind words.

Rob.

That close up photo of the left hand side looks spot on to me, and the oily and greasy moving parts are the one thing that seem to set the real thing apart from factory produced models.

Excellent work. I must experiment on a few of my bigger locos.

• RMweb Gold

Looks really nice to me Rob. I would remove grease from the internal worm and gears on the chassis when using powders as on some of my loco's the lube has spread over much of the boilers and ruined the finish. Powder just seems to draw and consume it.

I am afraid that did happen on one of mine, Andrew. It took a lot of work to remove. Lesson learnt there.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, this is great stuff. Your photos really spell out what weathering means for the appearance of a loco, both your own and the prototype shots.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with King Arthur, it's screaming out for some weathering!

• RMweb Gold

Kind words indeed, thank you Mikkel.

The King Arthur is a lovely locomotive and hopefully I can improve it with a light touch.

Another lovely view of one of these splendid locomotives. Again from Richard Greenwood MBE.

Rob

post-14122-0-14885200-1429910181_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hoping to progress the Arthur today. However, worked a night shift last night and got in at five so things are a bit tricky at the moment........Currently looking after No.1 daughter as other half has had to go to work at 9...

This could be a long day..............

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on the King Arthur. Very much a work in progress and is no where the finished article. No detail parts added either

I find that a photo will allow you to sit back and see those areas to work, better than the naked eye.

A lot more blending required and some powder to come off in places....

As I say, far from the finished article.

Rob.

post-14122-0-83099700-1430047658_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 3

Not as planned but had some spare time early evening so had a tweak at the 7F.

I am happier with it now. Still work to do below the foot plate and then adding crew, fire irons etc.....so still in progress.

Some interim photos then, including some cruel close ups.

Rob

Looking good, but it does look a tad smudged around the side of the firebox. Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold

Hello, BD. Thank for popping in. I can see what you mean but the photos are a bit cruel and in real life it is not as pronounced as it may appear in the photos.

I find that the powders are very easy to work with but they repay patience. I also find that it is well worth doing this in stages, coming back with a fresh pair of eyes.

This also suites the odd hour here and there that I have to do a bit of modelling.

Rob.

Made a start on the King Arthur. Very much a work in progress and is no where the finished article. No detail parts added either

I find that a photo will allow you to sit back and see those areas to work, better than the naked eye.

A lot more blending required and some powder to come off in places....

As I say, far from the finished article.

Rob.

The King Arthur looks very good indeed. I hate 'water cart' tenders though. There's something odd looking about those inside framed bogies. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by my trip to the Bristol show, I thought I would post an interim photo of the King Arthur.

I applied some automotive resin polish to the cabside, in an effort to replicate a spot of cleaning at the shed. I am happy with the contrast it provides. More cleaning required and those pipes under the cab need doing but coming on. I just grab the time as and when I can. Hopefully I will try to finish it over the weekend.

20180914_192416.jpg.876f5f01eea74d6438b3c3ed30968a74.jpg

20180914_193126.jpg.277c3bc578a29207827f8eb194e5e27e.jpg

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
Later images added to the post.

• RMweb Gold

Bit more of a dabble this evening. Some fine tuning required, primarily around the motion. Then to add coal, crew etc.

I'm enjoying this.

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2

That's really starting to come together Rob. The smoke deflector is particularly realistic. WIll you be using this technique all down the boiler? It will be interesting to compare the end result with the photo's posted earlier. I've never managed to get a nice patchy oily boiler fnar fnar.

• RMweb Gold

Thank for dropping in guys.

Joe, the wheels were painted firstly with matt black enamel before being brushed with quite liberal quantities of Humbrol 'smoke' powder with a bit of dark earth powder for good measure. I intend to look at weathering in military modelling. There is some fantastic stuff done therein.

For now, I try to keep it as simple as I can. I just use powders at the moment.

Andrew, thank you for your kind comments. I am pleased with the look on the smoke deflectors. They were done exactly as the boiler was, as was the cabside and the tender sides. I then applied some automotive polish with a cotton bud and the polished it off using a circular motion, working a bit at a time. I try to replicate how a OO cleaner would clean. It takes a while but I find it quite relaxing. I like the contrast the different techniques/materials result in.

I finish off with another view of the real thing. You just cannot have too many photos to work from.

Photo is as credited. Another fine view of a fine locomotive.

Rob

post-14122-0-81511000-1430847088_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, this looks great - the contrasts work really well I think. Looking at the photo you posted of 30796 I noticed that the buffer beam has some nice dirt on it, will you be doing that?

• RMweb Gold

I will, Mikkel. Some fine tuning ids now required. I want to finish this off this week so hopefully I will have some time to spare over the next couple of days.

Then I can look at what to do next.....I fancy another green loco....or maybe an M7. ..

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing to report. Just a name change as I felt that the original thread title was no longer appropriate.

With a bank holiday looming, I might manage some modelling........as soon as I finish the decking.....However, if it keeps the Memsahib happy...

Rob

• RMweb Gold

As I said earlier, I suspect that once the Arthur is finished, one of these may be next up. Either will do...T9 photo from the lens of Mr Keith Pirt

post-14122-0-16570900-1432361572_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-46186700-1432362602_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

This thread has been sleeping for a bit. A year on and I finally managed to weather the M7.

20181216_201958.jpg.70d812f4fb6197603724441f77170692.jpg

20181211_220851.jpg.dabbeed56f71ab72481d13bd5b73a424.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2