N Gauge Class 390 Pendolino (post Kickstarter) with Rapido

Revolution Ben

Virgin are behind this love the idea of the N-gauge "baby Pendo" to go with its Hornby big brother, and talked to me today about the benefits of publicising on Twitter and other social media - they have over 100,000 followers so that might hopefully generate interest, but I think pointless to start going down that road until the Kickstarter is actually live.

I have to complement you and and Mike for the approach and the PR work you're putting into make this happen. I would also back the calls for buyers/modellers/collectors to back the Kickstarter approach; please don't sit back and think "I'll wait and see how it goes and I'd be happy to pay the extra at a later date" as you are increasing the chance of it not happening at all as you won't be in the all-important viability count. The reason it will happen if the Kickstarter total is reached is that the project's funding will be there for Mike and Ben to manage with Jason; if the total isn't met it means Jason's got to find the equivalent amount for development and production which in itself costs more than via Kickstarter unless he's got a spare quarter of a million stuffed under Bill's mattress and that will inevitably mean the whole process takes longer. 

Ah ok, I did not realise that the 60 days was the limit of the application itself.

I can see some markets were shorter the better works, not sure about the rather pointy and particular model railway market but this will be an interesting experiment.

And I agree those who want an N Pendolino, it's now or never.... (Just don,t include a photo of one coming out of Jason's mouth ;-))

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Anyone who's registered at our website ngaugependolino.com should this evening have received issue #1 of our N Gauge Pendolino newsletter.

Although the Kickstarter pledge page won't go live for a couple of days, the newsletter includes a link to a private preview page so you can see how it will look, all the pledge levels and other content and, if you wish, leave feedback for us.  There's still time to make small changes!

cheers

Ben A.

Evening all,

Not been on for a while due to work so not kept apace of things happening until got the newsletter today!

While I am sad that Dave at DJM will no longer be producing the model, I appreciate the financial reasons behind the change and the added options (especially the sound) it has given making it even more appealing!

My question from all the literature on the project website is when you say 800 sets have to be sold well simply 800 what?

Does that mean equal too 800 sets of the 9 car?

800 sets full stop, no mate what size?

I know with DJM it was 1000 9 car sets or equal too, has that changed with Rapido getting involved to just 800 full stop especially with them been open and honest (to their credit) stating that even if the kick start doesn't work out they may look at it for general release!

As for Dave having a valid point if they are looking at possibly making it a general release anyhow, well is that a shot in foot comment as some people will have the personal feeling that well if that's the case I will wait till I am ready to get one if they are doing that, instead of having 60 days time frame the kick start sticks you too!

Kinds of makes it like a DFS sale that never ends (buy now for this offer even though will still be there when you are ready to buy!)

Final one Dave if you are looking at more possible crowd funding ideas why not go for something like the 165 and akin body type sets, then you have the plus of 325 sets and other generic designs off the base design!

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

To reach the target we need 800 pledges for a 9-car set, or the equivalent. It doesn't matter how the pledges break down, or how many of them there are - we just need to hit the cash target.  That target gives us enough money to fund tools for all the different bodyshells needed.  What we produce is then up to us.

If Rapido make this model as a general release then it would be significantly costlier because they'd have to factor in retail mark up etc.  As has been said earlier in the thread, the cost would go from £255 for a 9-car unit to around £320.

So there's no reason not to pledge:  If you do, and we succeed, you get the £320 Pendolino for £255.  If we only just fail, then Rapido may well produce the model.  BUt a poor turnout on Kickstarter will almost certainly put Rapido off - see Jason Shron's post earlier in the thread.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

People may support the Kickstarter campaign but if it goes to a main stream release at 25% because the campaign fails more may decide it's not for them.

Personally I won't bother if it ends up costing more than the Kickstarter price as it's only a rule 1 purchase in my case.

I would urge anyone who wants one now or in the future to get behind this.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Gold

Hello folks

It seems we have caused a bit of confusion with talk of 800 pledges or units etc - Ben is correct that ultimately it is the cash amount that matters (both for Kickstarter and our ability to produce the models). We have used 800 units/pledges as a short hand way of trying to communicate the level of support that is needed - apologies if we have confused anyone.

When you see the Kickstarter funding target the eagle-eyed may notice that it is slightly more than 800 * £255 as we have to add on an allowance for P&P. It is surprisingly difficult to estimate costs for P&P when you don't know the exact final dimensions etc, but hopefully we have it covered.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi JoeJab,

So do we! Can you help to spread the word? Are you a member of a model railway club, or planning to attend any shows between now and our deadline on January 18th?

If so PM me and I'll send some flyers!

i think that crowd funding is more than just financial pledging - and we need to get out the word behind the Internet. If everyone who wants a Pendolino just tells 5 other people about it the word will spread!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I must have been in a cave for the past few months, because I only heard about this last night! I'm not a frequent forum user, and the thread wasn't over obvious. I'm delighted that I have an opportunity to own a 390, and I'll be putting my name down for 1 9-car with sound when the kickstart opens! Wish I could afford 2, but that's not financially viable for me.

I'm hoping somebody nominates one of the lower numbered units, as I'm modelling the period when they were first introduced.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Hazr,

I'm really glad you posted - you're exactly the kind of person we need to reach beyond the regular forum users. If you hadn't seen it here, how else might you be most likely to get news of such a scheme? Club? Magazine? Other?

As to numbering, if we succeed then up to ten different numbers will be available. It stands to reason that at least one should be suitable for an early 8-car version. Out of interest, what would be the highest appropriate number for this?

Cheers

Ben A.

If we spoke nicely to Andy could we get the logo, put on the top of RMWeb, on the scrolling advert thing. Or if he's really generous as a static on the site heading. :) if you don't ask you don't get!

That way we can get as much visibility. to get it out to as many people as possible. Might be possible to get something similar on the other forums too!

Failing that see if we can get an update in the next modellers mags so that there is something in there whilst the kickstarter is open.

Alistair

Wow! Just got Newsletter number 1 and realised the options are up in the air again for me. The distraction before were the shorter lengths but I was happy looking at at least a couple of full length 9 coach Pendolinos. Now I have sound to factor in!

On the one hand I will probably not have any other locos or trains with sound in the near future... but! Pendolinos with sound both ends for less than £100 is very exciting.  This does not increase the amount or money I'm thinking of spending, merely whether I go for rakes with sound or not. I would go for one more rake without sound and one less with sound. It looks like the important thing for the Kickstarter is the total money pledged so I dont think my decision will affect the project unduly!

Looking forward to the start in a couple of days.

Thanks

Dave 

Edited by davepallant

• RMweb Premium

Ben forgive me if this has been covered but are you going to have the facility for people to actually sign up and pledge at Warley? Seems a prime opportunity, and all you'll need is a smart phone/tablet/laptop!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One leaflet left from the weekend.

All but one went Saturday but it seems that if there is just one left then no one will take it as it sat there all day Sunday!!

I was talking about the project with my fellow operators although none of them are N scale modellers there was a hint of interest in that they could always sign up for one and then perhaps sell it later to anyone who missed the boat at what ever would hten be the ' going rate'.

I am still toying with a 2nd one just incase I get the bug to model a bit of the West Coast line in a few years time.

• RMweb Gold

Ben forgive me if this has been covered but are you going to have the facility for people to actually sign up and pledge at Warley? Seems a prime opportunity, and all you'll need is a smart phone/tablet/laptop!

In theory we could offer that on the DEMU stand (B50) - I will have a laptop and tablet with me.  Depends what the network signal is like inside the NEC!

Cheers, Mike

In theory we could offer that on the DEMU stand (B50) - I will have a laptop and tablet with me. Depends what the network signal is like inside the NEC!

Cheers, Mike

Signal inside the NEC. Hehehe, cracking joke there mike!

As useful as it maybe to let people do it there, the metal work in the hall seems to stop most data signals going through.

The delivery of the extra coaches seemed to be a colas 66 and what looked to be OCA type wagons.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Spent the morning signing and packing guerrilla marketing kits.  Already quite a few takers - but any more please PM me with name and address and they'll go in the post!

post-420-0-03279300-1416309754_thumb.jpg

Anyone who's already had flyers will be getting some new ones with the Rapido branding...!

Also I am still on the lookout for volunteers to help us at Warley - got lots and lots of posters, leaflets and flyers - we just need people to hand them out, place them on tables in catering section etc.  And this time I will try to remember the Blu-tack for sticking up posters after the fiasco at TINGS!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some pics of delivery of Pendolino extra coaches - I particularly like the one with 86701 plus OCAs? I've found a nice mix of Colas 47, 56, 66 and 86.

8145255945_7a895309bf_z.jpg86701 at Cathiron by robmcrorie, on Flickr

7307329792_08c9766cbc_z.jpg66848 by Lewis Smith Photography, on Flickr

7611792190_21892324fc_z.jpg47739 Lichfield TV 20-07-2012 by Peter Bryant 56069, on Flickr

8017263888_cb19513483_z.jpg66745 Bradwell by MKRail, on Flickr

Plus an EWS 66 hauling a dead Colas 56:

8178712541_b1ff7e8a9e_z.jpg66115 56087 1Nov12 Kings Langley IMG_0966 by steveherts uk, on Flickr

An interesting shot of the coach end:

8509027403_e473757993_z.jpgT001-00287 by railphotolibrary.com, on Flickr

Perhaps we could do a set in the Monkey livery! https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8318344853

Or Superman:

8330887164_cbf637ebbc_z.jpg3_SUPERMAN_390029 by peter_skuce, on Flickr

• Like 3