December 2014 Railway Modeller

PMP

• RMweb Premium

post-68-0-00904800-1415650597.jpg

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH
Tanners Hill

PLAN OF THE MONTH

Reviving the classic oval

Simon and Tallon Hamlett created this OO gauge digitally-controlled project of ‘traditional’ dimensions – effectively 6' x 4' – as a father and son layout

SCALE DRAWINGS

Heriot signal box

Tim Rayner surveys this stopping point on the storied Waverley Route, closed in 1969 but now being partially rebuilt. Accompanying structure drawings by Jim Hay.

FEATURES

Bury Thorn Tar Works

Dave Hall presents his small-space O gauge layout, set in the days when industrial locomotives worked plants such as this tar works up and down the country.

A venture into loco kit building

Although the model Paul Lindsay-Scott constructed is in 7mm scale and of a narrow gauge prototype, his methods and techniques will be useful to all.

Two mill for Tucking Mill

The latest in Jerry Clifford’s run of layouts in 2FS forms the backdrop to a discussion between him and editor Steve Flint about how he chose 2mm scale. 

Hintock Town Quay

John Flann reports on the latest chapter in his Hintock Redux saga: a separate yet integrated shunting layout, and some changes at his branch terminus in OO.

Earlsheaton

Steve Smith is our guide on this visit to an extensive exhibition layout in OO, built by novice members of the Wakefield Railway Modellers’ Society.

More unusual wagons

Geoffrey Neale shows us more of his collection of unfamiliar freight vehicles in OO, which he built to complement his work on full-size goods stock.

Rosehill

Seasoned trans-Pennine commuter Malcolm Keyzer built this N gauge exhibition layout after being inspired by the line’s scenery, as described by operator Robin Dixon.

Postcard from Dhoon

Catch up on the latest developments with the Isle of Dhoon’s electrified railway network in 4mm scale, as told by builder Alan Browning.

Talking Points

Topical issues from the world of model railways. This month, Paul Jones looks back over several decades of organising the Warley show, and ponders the future.

Under public scrutiny

Paul Roberts makes sure he’s got everything packed when embarking on show appearances: he has to, as his OO layout Cliffordsbridge lives in west Cornwall! See it at the Warley Show.

The Clee Valley Railway

A 7mm scale layout by Peter Leadley, representing a 15" gauge passenger-carrier in contemporary times.

See it at the Warley Show.

Thornton Gate trams

Part of the Blackpool network, modelled in N and built by Anna Fellows and Tom & Sam Williamson. See the layout at the Warley Show.

RAILWAY MODELLING EXPLORED

Hainsworth Industries Ltd

A school competition entry micro-layout in OO, built by 13-year old Alexander Veitch.

Project of the Month – Fresh out of the box!

Craig Tiley shows you how to make locos look ex-works, rather than making them appear unkempt.

Isfield signal box

Doug Dickson constructed this LBSC structure from a 4mm scale ABM Railcraft card kit.

REGULARS

Comment

Opinions and observations across the field of railway modelling. This month, Peco Design Engineer 

David Malton looks at social media.

Readers’ Letters

Latest Reviews

The items reviewed this month include the brand new Great Western large Prairie in O from Lee Marsh Model Co; the top-spec Hornby P2 in OO; more Lynton & Barnstaple rolling stock in OO9 from Peco; a Metcalfe Models kit roundup for OO and N; and more.

Jerry's Tucking Mill looks fabulous as always and the Plan of the Month 'Tallonstown' (on the cover), is a nice take on the traditional 6' x 4' set in BR Blue with some really nicely observed details which capture the era really well in such a small space.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting that Paul, I'm very pleased with the way they have presented Tucking Mill.

I like Dave Hall's Bury Thorn Tar Works, a lot of layout in a small space with plenty of industrial grot. Also, Paul Lindsay-Scott's kit built Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0WT, a really attractive little loco superbly finished and weathered.

Jerry

Are the christmas edition of the Modeller with christmas greetings on the cover. Gives you warm feeling inside changed a bit over the years { it was in black & white when i first read it } but still has the old favorites inside Railway of the month how to do and all them useful adds for things not easy to find. long may it continue. Great comfort reading matter in a world were every thing moves to dam fast

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I was at Swanage I was talking to Geoff Neale and he showed me his wagons and their workings. Excellent work he's done on them. Wish I could aspire to his standard. He told me then that he would have an article in this month's RM. Must try and get hold of a copy.

Chris

Hi,

Decided there wasnt enough in it to directly interest me apart from the review of the track cleaning waggon.

Now I've got home I can't remember the name of its manufacturer or their web address, can anyone help?

Thanks

Steve

Ther looks to be a lot of reasons to buy this.....

Though I seem to have done so regardless over the last 30 odd years :D

Your obviously a young man. 56 years (1958) of buying it to date and still have all the copies from 1974 onwards. Am I Sad or what. LOL.

Archived