Gareth's Workbench: P4 and 2mmFS projects

• 1 month later...

Back to Inspector.

I've got the chassis built. The frames came with three hornblock cutouts and one hole for the rear axle. I have fitted a compensation beam to the front two axles, one pilot axle and one driver. The third axle will be powered and hopefully the weight of the motor will be sufficient to keep it on the track. Can't do a great deal more just yet, I'm waiting on a drive stretcher from High Level. Without it most of the backplate would need to be removed.

IMG_7143_zpsy4aotbuq.jpg

After that I did a quick mockup of the finished article, basically just stacked the sub-assemblies on the frames. Don't worry, the rear wall won't be attached at that angle.

IMG_7142_zpsibj6yk1x.jpg

Edited by garethashenden
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Inspector is finally finished!

IMG_7288_zpsl8kr2nuk.jpg

Now on to some N scale.

New tractors on a flat car. Four GHQ Farmalls on a Micro Trains flatcar. The wooden deck is from RS Laser. Some touch up painting is still needed along with finishing the transfers on the tractors. The transfers do make the model.

IMG_7293_zpswjf2atwu.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've been working on a Peter K kit for the NLR inside cylinder 4-4-0s. I've got two and will be building 109 and 120 c.1905.

There are no instructions but I'm lucky in that the previous owner of the kits has acquired the major castings.

I'm using the twin beam compensation that came with the kit but I'm building it as a split chassis.

IMG_7363_zpsffim868d.jpg

IMG_7365_zps2xcrsagx.jpg

IMG_7366_zpsgdgvojp6.jpg

I'll build the bogie next, then add all the wheels and get it running before continuing with the body.

• Like 6

Love the farmalls Gareth! Where did you get hold of the transfers for them? Seems GHQ try to keep away from branding so I'm guessing they don't come with the kit - John Deere described as "green tractor" etc!

Thanks Justin. I got someone to do a custom run for me: http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=34966.msg407664#msg407664

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I've been quite productive recently.

I needed a backhead for this, so I made one. 2mm copper tube bent to match the radius of the boiler and then soldered onto nickel silver sheet.

IMG_7370_zpsjycng3ni.jpg

This was then trimmed, filed smooth and attached to the boiler tube.

IMG_7372_zpsiyrtiwei.jpg

IMG_7373_zps7n8rgxgn.jpg

The bottom was cut off with some extra so that it can be trimmed to fit as needed. It's also not square at the bottom, but that's ok because it will be cut away later.

I need to detail the backhead before the boiler is permanently installed, otherwise it will be too inaccessible.

Next I had to cut away some of the boiler to allow the motor to fit. This was marked with a sharpie and then cut with a piecing saw.

IMG_7374_zpswu9hplmh.jpg

IMG_7375_zps65loarcx.jpg

IMG_7377_zpsveoexmdl.jpg

I'm using a massive motor with a High Level RoadRunner+ and Drive Stretcher.

IMG_7378_zps1jgwuwem.jpg

The bogie is progressing, still have to do the outside frames and details, but the basic structure is done. The bogie is shorted to one side, I couldn't be bothered to make split axles. Hopefully this won't be a problem.

IMG_7379_zpsbymxyoir.jpg

I got two pairs of numberplates made for me by Narrow Planet. Very good service and reasonably priced. I would highly recommend them. This locomotive will be 109, but I have a second kit which will be 120.

IMG_7380_zpszb3zsqzw.jpg

The front of the cab has been attached:

IMG_7376_zpskrn1bqkx.jpg

Here's a view of the cab. There's a screw in the smokebox preventing the boiler from going forward far enough and it is obviously drooping, but it gives an impression anyway.

IMG_7381_zps2x65w673.jpg

Finally, place the sub-assemblies in position and we get a good idea of what it will look like.

IMG_7382_zps4thbtipw.jpg

IMG_7383_zpsu3e7tjzg.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Another update.

A dumb buffered PO wagon. I used POW sides transfers but I was dubious about applying them directly to the wagon. So I got clear decal sheet and applied them to that, then applied the decals to the wagon. Two easy steps is better than one hard step.

f37071ce-f539-479b-a222-696005f289b4_zps

IMG_7432_zpsc9foc1mr.jpg

Posing the NLR tank on Empire Mills

IMG_7427_zpstzhavnri.jpg

IMG_7429_zpsjjpnbi2l.jpg

IMG_7431_zpsvdce5qrv.jpg

And a new kit has arrived, 5&9 Models LCDR high end open wagon. Very good service from Chris, a pleasure to work with, and the castings look very good.

IMG_7433_zps6frpc0tl.jpg

IMG_7434_zpsnxmw8pyr.jpg

Edited by garethashenden
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Last week I built a Mousa Models LNWR D1 single plank wagon. It's resin with an etched underframe and very easy to build.

After that I got back to the LRM kit for a NLR brake van. It's a whitemetal body with an etched nickel silver underframe. The castings are very good but the etch leaves a lot to be desired, for me at least. These brake vans are very similar to the LNWR D16 but with a different wheelbase, brakes, and vestibule end. When the wheelbase was changed on the etch the location slots for the clasp brakes weren't moved. This isn't actually too much of a problem, but what is a problem is that the w-irons are too tight. Once the wheels are in place they splay out and prevent free running. So what I've done is to reuse the brakes and make the rest of the floor from scratch.

i used a pair of Prickley Pear w-irons that I picked up at Scaleforum. These are an interesting design, half compensated, half sprung.

IMG_7543_zpseiawehbh.jpg

IMG_7544_zps4duaamnk.jpg

Here is the brake van with the previously mentioned D1

IMG_7538_zpso6me1ayz.jpg

IMG_7539_zpsk9n9eiwy.jpg

Still a bunch of details to go...

• Like 10

I've built a wagon. LCDR round end open wagon from a 5&9 models kit. Went together without a hitch. Still needs lettering and couplings, but otherwise it's done. I haven't quite decided between LCDR and SE&CR for the lettering. There were still LCDR wagons around in my 1903 time frame so I could go either way.

IMG_7568_zps5rhgvbmw.jpg?t=1444332762

IMG_7585_zpssdm64zwn.jpg

Up next: GWR W1 cattle wagon in red...

• Like 11

Gareth,

I've got details, I'm sure, for detailing the backhead that you constructed for the Class 51(v. neat, BTW!) If you'd like to pm me I can get them to you by email.

You've inspired me to abandon my LSWR modelling for now, and resurrect my Class 1 scratchbuild.  Hmmm, perhaps an LRM, NLR brakevan to go with it.............. :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

I have finished building Jenny Lind. Unfortunately it can barely pull itself and gets hung up on uneven trackwork. So I need to fix that still. But here are some pictures posed on Empire Mills.

I have also completed a crane/digger for TC's Minories.

IMG_6991_zps0c4be615.jpg

IMG_6992_zpsc231b611.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi mate, this looks great but I just wanted to ask - is the bucket on the right way around? Steam shovels tended to scoop rather than dig (like JCBs etc do) and then empty the bucket from underneath.

Like in this pic and video:

DSM06803H.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gareth, good to see the LCDR wagon, I have one of those too but haven't built it yet as I was wondering about the livery. Glad to hear the Bill Bedford D1 is an easy build, another one that's also hiding in my drawer.

Empire Mills looks spectacular. It's not easy to create something new and unusual in railway modelling these days, but that certainly is. The colour scheme of the landscaping is a whole artwork in itself. You class 51 and the GWR red adds an extra dimension to it.

• 1 month later...

Last week I built a Mousa Models LNWR D1 single plank wagon. It's resin with an etched underframe and very easy to build.

After that I got back to the LRM kit for a NLR brake van. It's a whitemetal body with an etched nickel silver underframe. The castings are very good but the etch leaves a lot to be desired, for me at least. These brake vans are very similar to the LNWR D16 but with a different wheelbase, brakes, and vestibule end. When the wheelbase was changed on the etch the location slots for the clasp brakes weren't moved. This isn't actually too much of a problem, but what is a problem is that the w-irons are too tight. Once the wheels are in place they splay out and prevent free running. So what I've done is to reuse the brakes and make the rest of the floor from scratch.

Gareth,

when I designed the LNWR Brake Van underframe for John Redrup at LRM I set the fold lines for the W-irons at 23.5mm. This dimension was based on the data provided on the CLAG website;

http://www.clag.org.uk/bearing-interface.html

I also used that dimension for the LNWR D14 wagon. I don't recall having a problem with the test or production models I built, but can't recall which wheel/axles or bearings I used.

One of the difficulties is that bearing "depths" vary from one supplier to another, as do axle lengths, although less so. With several etched W-irons such as MJT and D&S I usually find that the axles are "loose" in the bearings and the w-irons have to be squeezed in.

Paul Tasker's Prickly Pear w-irons use an interesting approach and while I have some to try out I think I'll use them on something which has a fairly light superstructure, such as a POWsides or Ratio kit. There has been some debate in another place as to whether a high COG whitemetal body kit will develop some lean or suffer sideways rocking.

Jol

Well here's a departure. A BR 1/208 van in P4. Parkside kit with lots of new bits underneath. W-irons and brakes from Bill Bedford, springs from MJT, axleboxes from Wizard, buffers, vacuum cylinder and vacuum hoses from LMS. Ready for paint now.

IMG_7728_zpsljo1utor.jpg

IMG_7730_zpslizcepu5.jpg

IMG_7732_zpsphyddhma.jpg

IMG_7734_zpsvbe9xokx.jpg

IMG_7735_zpsizk2dkqn.jpg

P4!!! P4?!!!?? Have you gone over to the dark side?

Duncan

There are some that believe that P4 modelling brings enlightenment, me included!

Jol

True, especially given the superb modelling seen on your London Road layout at the Portsmouth show on Saturday. It made me feel quite the poor relation over on Empire Mills.

D