J73 - drawing

Peppercorn

Good afternoon all,

I've been scratchbuilding a J73 in 3mmon 14.2 track for a little while. (err...a long while) I thought a weight diagram(WD) would be quite OK for this scale as, I argued, all of the significant dimensions would be there and should I ever need details I could probably get such detail from a J71 GA that I'd bought some years previously. I thought - wrongly - that there'd be lots of details in common. And there probably are, but one thing that isn't is the front of the locomotive, in particular, the saddle. The J73 had slide valves (operated by Joys valve gear) on top of the cylinders whereas the J71 had its slide valves (operated by Stephensons) between the cylinders, consequently the J73 had a pair of prominent covers bolted to the front with lots of bolt heads and slide valve push rod tail guides. OK, except that these covers aren't on the WD, thus my question: does have anyone a drawing that I could borrow or some detail drawing that could help me construct this part of the locomotive, please? I attach some shots of the loco underway. The boiler's too high, I have yet to lower it by adjusting the saddle. Chimney, dome and whistle cover to be turned. 

Thanks in advance,

Cliff

post-2411-0-57878600-1416237630_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-95247300-1416237653.jpg

post-2411-0-28299400-1416237668_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't know of any scale drawings but it certainly has the looks and proportions of a J73, the chimney (and presumably the dome and smokebox door) is the same as the G5, J24/25 etc so easily produced..

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks, Mick. Err....I haven't decided, but will, of course, need to because there were only ten of them. I'll scout around for photosof them in BR times; perhaps 68359 with the dome a little further back. 

Thanks both for your kind comments about the photos. I'm keen to move it on. Once I've got my details sorted, I'll be able to mount that boiler properly and make the valve covers - I've just ordered a rivetter from GW MOdels and when that arrives, they'll be first job. 
Cliff 

PS Wordsell forever - the GA of the J71 has Mr Wordsell's signature on it (wish I had the original!)

Archived