Hattons announce 10 exclusive limited editions Austerity/J94 by DJModels

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I've had an e-mail from Hattons, that the outstanding J94, BR weathered 68012, Cromford and High Peak resident, has arrived.

Just got mine as well.

Pleased with it so far but noticed there were no couplings in box. Is that normal?

• RMweb Gold

My 68012 has the couplings in a small plastic bag with the detailing parts.

Al

Not in mine. I have searched the floor all around where I opened the box as well but nothing to be found.

Not a deal breaker as I have spare couplings but I have emailed Hattons about it.

• RMweb Gold

I run mine with Kadees. If you want some spare original couplings, PM me.

Ian

What have you used? I have #19 in mine and have been thinking of swapping to some #18 instead. I have some small radius points in the yard but it still looks like it would be ok if I go smaller.

Roy

Not in mine. I have searched the floor all around where I opened the box as well but nothing to be found.

Not a deal breaker as I have spare couplings but I have emailed Hattons about it.

I'm sure you've checked but the couplings are in a cut out in the foam at the top of the box, about 2 cms above the top of the loco. This cutout can be hidden by the yellow ribbon. Unfortunately mine will have to go back, a non runner out of the box. The second J94 I've had which is like this, the other was the standard range early BR crest version.

• RMweb Gold

I run mine with Kadees. If you want some spare original couplings, PM me.

Ian

Thank you very much indeed for your offer Ian but I do have spare couplers that should fit and, hopefully, Hattons will rectify the situation anyway. The thought is much appreciated however.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you've checked but the couplings are in a cut out in the foam at the top of the box, about 2 cms above the top of the loco. This cutout can be hidden by the yellow ribbon. Unfortunately mine will have to go back, a non runner out of the box. The second J94 I've had which is like this, the other was the standard range early BR crest version.

Yes, the the yellow ribbon was there and the cut out you refer to, but it was empty.  Have checked carefully all around and taken the foam out of the box. 

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

• RMweb Gold

Hattons have said they will send couplings so that is good.

Sorry to hear your model won't run properly. I ran mine in on a rolling road on DC and then fitted a decoder and it runs very well indeed so mine was a minor problem. Hope you get yours fixed/replaced soon.

Sorry to hear your model won't run properly. I ran mine in on a rolling road on DC and then fitted a decoder and it runs very well indeed so mine was a minor problem. Hope you get yours fixed/replaced soon.

Like yourself, Hattons have been very helpful and will send a replacement which will be tested first. This model was delayed as according to the advice I had from Hattons a few months ago, there was an error with the buffers, which had to be replaced, so it's likely they were manufactured with the other Hattons versions and the BR crest DJ Models main range version. If so as I've had 2 complete failures from that batch, I'm wondering if there is a batch of dodgy motors. All my other DJ Models produced locos have worked fine, only these two. My advice is to make sure you test your J94s and don't rely on the certificate that says they have been tested.

I had the same problem with the couplings ran up hattons they sent me some in the post oddly i got a detailing pack with 1 coupling and another with 2 :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

What have you used? I have #19 in mine and have been thinking of swapping to some #18 instead. I have some small radius points in the yard but it still looks like it would be ok if I go smaller.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I generally use No18. They run through Peco 75 medium radius points very well. Both of my Bachmann 04's run with a No5.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I recently became the owner of the C&HPR version of the loco, with DCC sound fitted.

post-17302-0-87604700-1500041433_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-02490000-1500041493_thumb.jpg

I'm very pleased with it, but note that it didn't come with a set of middle steps, as the prototype had, either fitted or in the accessories bag.

So my question is, should it have been supplied with a middle set of steps?

Many thanks,

Al

• RMweb Gold

I recently became the owner of the C&HPR version of the loco, with DCC sound fitted.

attachicon.gifhattons-djm-j94-austerity001.jpg

attachicon.gifhattons-djm-j94-austerity002.jpg

I'm very pleased with it, but note that it didn't come with a set of middle steps, as the prototype had, either fitted or in the accessories bag.

So my question is, should it have been supplied with a middle set of steps?

Many thanks,

Al

An e-mail to Dave Jones will normally sort it out. I've always found him to be very helpful.

Ian.

• 8 months later...

Bickershaw ? Perhaps. The line came out by Springs Branch shed in Wigan.

Hattons' Hurricane is a Bickershaw J94.

I've seen somewhere a J94 pushing MGRs and a pair of Blue 20's in the early 1980's.

I wish I could remember which article it was to quote exactly, but one of the Lancashire collieries had its exchange sidings at the top of a steep hill on the BR line, with a steeper gradient up from the sidings to the colliery.   Class 37s used to struggle up the bank and arrive at the sidings, whereupon the WD saddletank would remove the brake van and breeze off up the steeper line to the pit with the whole of the rest of the train.  

I can't remember whether it was this pit or one of the Yorkshire ones where BR diesels occasionally needed assistance from the pit loco, which were registered for running over the main line.

Les

It was Bold Colliery near to St.Helens.

NCB locos are known to have banked BR locos at Skiers Spring Drift and Wooley Colliery, Barnsley and at Frances Colliery but non of this was regular. I know also know of  a one off banking at Newmarket Colliery up the line to Robin Hood on a cup final day to help the BR loco shift the wagons in one go so the BR men could get home early. There was a one off also at Polkemmet Colliery in the snow. This was from the Exchange sidings up the BR branch towards Fauldhouse Junction with Barclays Nos 25 and No.8 AB1296. I have recently seen video of when BR 08s were being introduced at Polkemmet of No.25 banking an 08 on 5  loaded 21 ton mineral wagons. I daresay NCB banking of BR locos happened at other locations if rail conditions required.

I don't think it was Bold.  Did the Standish railways have a bit of a hill?

Les

I doubt it was Lancashire you are referring to as there weren't Class 37s around when I was visiting the collieries just 47s and 25s. However the scenario you are referring to might be Wooley colliery where Pete Hogarth had a photo of Newstead assiting a class 37 in the colliery yard. This was published in Railway Magazine in the early 1970s. the Standish system was all hills but the exchange sidings where by the WCML on the west side of the climb to Boars Head. The standish system finished in BR steam days.

I have seen a BR diesel deliver a set of 30 MGRs to Bold and Austerity Joseph remove the brake van and then take the 30 MGRs up the gradient parallel to the BR mainline to the headshunt at Collins Green where the set would be split in what where the old exchange sidings. This sounds a similar scenario to what you describe hence my suggestion that it was Bold. I have also been on the footplate of Robert at Bold when it took 48 empty 16ton minerals from the exchange sidings at St Helens Junction up to COllins Green with little fuss.

I doubt it was Lancashire you are referring to as there weren't Class 37s around when I was visiting the collieries just 47s and 25s. However the scenario you are referring to might be Wooley colliery where Pete Hogarth had a photo of Newstead assiting a class 37 in the colliery yard. This was published in Railway Magazine in the early 1970s. the Standish system was all hills but the exchange sidings where by the WCML on the west side of the climb to Boars Head. The standish system finished in BR steam days.

I have seen a BR diesel deliver a set of 30 MGRs to Bold and Austerity Joseph remove the brake van and then take the 30 MGRs up the gradient parallel to the BR mainline to the headshunt at Collins Green where the set would be split in what where the old exchange sidings. This sounds a similar scenario to what you describe hence my suggestion that it was Bold. I have also been on the footplate of Robert at Bold when it took 48 empty 16ton minerals from the exchange sidings at St Helens Junction up to COllins Green with little fuss.

The banking onto the main line was Newstead.

I am probably wrong about the diesels in Lancs being 37s- and can't remember the article, which was written from an NCB perspective - possibly one of Steven Oakden's Bylines articles.  Were Class 40s used in Lancs delivering wagons (16 tonners, pre-MGR)?  

Les

I am probably wrong about the diesels in Lancs being 37s- and can't remember the article, which was written from an NCB perspective - Bylines articles?  Were Class 40s used in Lancs delivering wagons (16 tonners, pre-MGR)?  

Les

Class 40s were certainly seen at Bickershaw's exchange sidings, the MGRs seemed to be Class 47s with Class 40s on the 16 tonners. 

Going back to your query about Class 37s and which colliery had NCB locos taking over the whole train to get the empties up a hill to the colliery. Thinking about it this could be Maesteg you refer to. The first set of exchange sidings were at Nantyffyllon and the austerities would take over trains of 30 21 ton double door mineral wagons and heave them up an incredible incline to the triangle at the Washery before running round and proceeding over to the sidings at Garth.

Springs Branch - Bickershaw was mainly 40's, 47's 25's 20's (sometimes 2 x 20's at front, 2 at rear) and later class 60's. The Standish railway system connected with BR at Rylands Sidings, 1 mile or so north of Wigan NW, and the system closed around 1964.

Some photos of Bickershaw steam in 1969 on my site below.

Brit15

Springs Branch - Bickershaw was mainly 40's, 47's 25's 20's (sometimes 2 x 20's at front, 2 at rear) and later class 60's. The Standish railway system connected with BR at Rylands Sidings, 1 mile or so north of Wigan NW, and the system closed around 1964.

Some photos of Bickershaw steam in 1969 on my site below.

Brit15

Class 50's as well on the MGR when they were still present in the north west. I think the slow running gear was removed during the refurb programme.

Ian