BR Flatrol MVV diagram 2/512

macgeordie

• RMweb Premium

I've been working on this project for quite a while now, but other things kept getting in the way and it has taken a lot longer than I expected to get this far. I came across one of these wagons on a preserved line in Derbyshire a couple of years ago and thought it would make a nice subject for a model. Here is a photo of the one I saw but there are loads more photos of these wagons on Paul Bartletts website. A later version of this wagon was also built to diagram 2/904 and these were all used by the engineering departments.

post-6711-0-25062700-1416417367_thumb.jpg

There appears to have been 32 of these wagons built to diagram 512 between 1950 and 1956 in six lots shared between Derby and Lancing works. Numbers went between 900000 and 900041 but I've no idea where the other 10 numbers in the series were used. Most were unfitted when built but some had a through pipe fitted later. The diagram 904 wagons which were made for the Engineering departments appear to have been built in Lancing during 1959 and were identical to the diagram 512 except for the axle boxes and the fact they were fitted with a through pipe from new. The diagram 512 wagons were fitted with different types of 10” x 5” journals but most seem to have been fitted with the standard MR/LMS design. The diagram 904 had Timkin roller bearings, in 9” x 5” journals. The floor was a mixture of wood and metal sections although photographic evidence shows that some of the wagons appear to have had the floors plated over later in their lives including the one I photographed myself.

Here are a few photos from a couple of the test builds. 

post-6711-0-34662900-1416417650_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-06678300-1416417672_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-20335800-1416417689_thumb.jpg

I had intended to use the 51L casting of the LMS axlebox at first, and the second test build was fitted with these boxes, but once fitted, they looked too big to my eye. I had a rummage through my 'bits' box and found some 51L Midland boxes which are a bit smaller and measured out to the correct size for the 10 x 5 Journals. The difference between the two is obvious on the photographs and I think the latter is much better in appearance.

I'm still not 100% happy with the etches yet, so I've made a few little tweaks to the drawing and I'll send that off for another test etch in a few days.

Ian

Hi Ian

Do you have an idea if and when you will be releasing these as a kit? If so, I'd want one, so could you put me on a list as a potential customer?

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gents

Thanks for the kind comments. I will make this kit available to those who want one when I have done the next test build and I'm 100% happy with it. I have started a list with the names of those (above) who have expressed an interest but if anybody else wants one, please p.m. me for details. I'm not sure what the cost will be at this stage but it won't be as much as the Trestrols as there are fewer 'bought out' components in it.

Ian

Ian

If it's anywhere as good as the Trestrol then it will be top notch. Can you put me down for 1 please

I hope you don't mind but I've put a link in to the Vintage Carriage and Wagon web site www.vintagecarriagetrust.org where there are a good few pics of the 15 or so preserved examples dotted around the country of which a good proportion seem to be in Scotland for some reason. On the wagon page look for specific wagon type and then scroll down to Flatrol MVV

Cheers

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Hi Doug

I'll put you on the list, and good to hear you enjoyed building the Trestrol. There seems to be a problem with your link, it just takes me to a 'page not found' for some reason or other.

Cheers

Ian 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

The model looks wonderful. Hopefully there will be enough modellers who wish to have one so you can recoup the cost of getting your own ones etched. Sorry I don't think I will be a customer, only because I cannot see a need for one on my layouts. Well done.

I do have one little complaint, how dare you have an active "modelling" thread when the rest of us are getting excited about all the wonderful annoucements of RTR duplication that is going to happen :mosking: :mosking: :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

As these wagons were fitted with wooden baulks to support the load when they were new I decided to add the appropriate bits to the drawing which I have just sent to the etchers. I have had a go at making the relevant wooden parts ready to fit when I get to that stage, but tried just sitting them in place on one of the ones I have already built and they look O.K. It would seem that the large baulks which were to support a load didn't last very long in service, but the support pieces mounted on each well end did. There are a couple of photos on Paul Bartletts website which show them still in place, but rather dilapidated.

post-6711-0-85281300-1416770737_thumb.jpg

These are the individual parts

post-6711-0-09665000-1416770778_thumb.jpg

I just used some wood I had in my bits and pieces box, I think it is Mahogany, but almost anything would do. This wood is well seasoned, and unlikely to warp, it's been in the bits box since about 1980 !!! I knew it would come in useful one day :imsohappy:

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

Wagon is looking very good. I could use a few of these loaded with diggers for the early 1990s. Flatrols have been hard to model for a long time.

Well done.

Cheers.

Hi Lyddrail

Thanks for the compliment, if you want to run these with diggers as loads, the wagons would probably be the engineers ones which were diagram 914. This version can be built using the 51L version of the roller bearing box and I'll supply these with the kit if you want them, you just need to make sure the digger you fit as the load is within gauge.

Once I get the new test etch back (probably next week)  I'll get that built then make the kit available to those who want them.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

The new test etch has arrived and looks O.K. I'm away for a couple of days though, so I can't start on it till the middle of next week. 

When these wagons were delivered, they were supplied with two sets of chains complete with screw couplings to tighten them and hooks to attach to the shackles on the wagon floor, so I've added replicas of the couplings and hooks to the etch in some of the spare spaces. I've also put a couple of Instanter couplings on there too for those who don't want to use the NEM box and intend to fit chain links. There is also a template on the fret to make it easier to get the correct shape for the well ends when they are rolled over a suitable former such as a piece of dowel or a pen shank.

post-6711-0-11268500-1417277536_thumb.jpg

I've been working on this project for quite a while now, but other things kept getting in the way and it has taken a lot longer than I expected to get this far. I came across one of these wagons on a preserved line in Derbyshire a couple of years ago and thought it would make a nice subject for a model......

There appears to have been 32 of these wagons built to diagram 512 between 1950 and 1956 in six lots shared between Derby and Lancing works. Numbers went between 900000 and 900041 but I've no idea where the other 10 numbers in the series were used. Most were unfitted when built but some had a through pipe fitted later. The diagram 904 wagons which were made for the Engineering departments appear to have been built in Lancing during 1959 and were identical to the diagram 512 except for the axle boxes and the fact they were fitted with a through pipe from new. The diagram 512 wagons were fitted with different types of 10” x 5” journals but most seem to have been fitted with the standard MR/LMS design. The diagram 904 had Timkin roller bearings, in 9” x 5” journals. The floor was a mixture of wood and metal sections although photographic evidence shows that some of the wagons appear to have had the floors plated over later in their lives including the one I photographed myself...........

Ian

Ian,

At the request of a fellow member and one of your potential customers I have prepared the sheet of transfers illustrated (low res.) below; it covers all the variants of your kit, and also of the Cambrian Models LORIOT kit.

post-2274-0-06142300-1417283835_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

www.cctrans.org.uk

Ian,

At the request of a fellow member and one of your potential customers I have prepared the sheet of transfers illustrated (low res.) below; it covers all the variants of your kit, and also of the Cambrian Models LORIOT kit.

attachicon.gif4BL0140_.JPG

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

www.cctrans.org.uk

Hi John.

Are these only avaliable in yellow, a mix of white and yellow would be good to cover a wide range of liveries and eras.

Hi John.

Are these only avaliable in yellow, a mix of white and yellow would be good to cover a wide range of liveries and eras.

The sheet is printed - correctly - in white for 2/512 (unfitted grey) and straw yellow for the rest (departmental black). These are the as-built liveries for the 1940s / 50s / 60s.

White lettering for departmental stock would be in a different letterface, for the 'boxed' / TOPS eras; (which latter I don't, as a matter of policy, cover in my range).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The sheet is printed - correctly - in white for 2/512 (unfitted grey) and straw yellow for the rest (departmental black). These are the as-built liveries for the 1940s / 50s / 60s.

White lettering for departmental stock would be in a different letterface, for the 'boxed' / TOPS eras; (which latter I don't, as a matter of policy, cover in my range).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thankyou John, would the departmental wagons have been painted in gulf red or olive green before the TOPS era?

Thankyou John, would the departmental wagons have been painted in gulf red or olive green before the TOPS era?

Almost certainly, only if painted that colour from new.

Gulf Red was not common, and the build dates of these wagons would mean that their initial livery would have been black with straw yellow lettering.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Took these photos at the East Somerset a few years back of a 2/904 hopefully link works!!

https://flickr.com/photos/99908177@N03/sets/72157637517522433

And done etched brass 2/512, 2/904 in 7mm, examples below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/milesperhour1974/9563185461/in/set-72157635177969582/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/milesperhour1974/9566259312/in/set-72157635177969582

Has anyone seen a photo of these when first built?

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Took these photos at the East Somerset a few years back of a 2/904 hopefully link works!!

https://flickr.com/photos/99908177@N03/sets/72157637517522433

And done etched brass 2/512, 2/904 in 7mm, examples below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/milesperhour1974/9563185461/in/set-72157635177969582/lightbox/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/milesperhour1974/9566259312/in/set-72157635177969582

Has anyone seen a photo of these when first built?

Mike

Nice work Mike and thanks for the link to the additional photos. If you have them I would appreciate copies of the originals if you are prepared to let me have them.

My own test build is progressing slowly, I'll try to post some pics tomorrow, but time is the enemy at the moment, I just never seem to have enough. How I ever had time to work is beyond me, I'm busier now I'm retired than I ever was when I was working.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

A bit of progress with the test build. This is actually a replacement etch from PPD, the first one they sent was  little under etched so the slots and tabs didn't fit. To give them their due though, I got the replacement in just a couple of days after I asked for it.

I've decided to fit just four shackles to this wagon as I have seen (and ordered) a nice cast kit for a fairground diesel generator set in RM which will make a very nice load for this wagon. Here are a couple of pics of the actual shackles on the real wagon along with the ones I have fitted to mine.

post-6711-0-75153800-1418214783_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the shackle is barely visible when it hasn't been lifted out for use.

post-6711-0-51152300-1418214861_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-24461400-1418214893_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-52690900-1418214914_thumb.jpg

Archived