Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Hattons does it again

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#1 oldknotty

oldknotty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationNorwood Ohio USA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 18:00

I placed an order with hattons several months ago for the Heljan class 14 teddy bear . I got a couple of emails saying that is was due and then it had arrived. There was a bit of a problem with my card not being up to date so hattons emailed me to let me know there was a problem . I asked if hattons was the one sending me the request via their web page to be sure it was not spam or phishing !! Well at around 10 am our time ( Norwood Ohio USA ) I got a personal phone call from hattons to verify that it was them that asked and i had a pleasant conversation with a lady there and got my order squared away . Not long after i got a verification email for my order . Now one wonders why i always buy from them !!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a no brainer and all this on a Sunday morning !! THAT'S WHAT I CALL SERVICE :-)
Martin
  • Like x 4

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 Welly

Welly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Location40A Lincoln

Posted 07 February 2010 - 18:17

^^^
I had pre-ordered a 4CEP from Hattons and in the meantime my credit card had to be changed. I got the same email and I spoke to the same nice lady ( can't remember her name ) on the phone and told her the new details. It arrived 2 days later.

I have always had excellent service from Hattons over the past 20 odd years.
  • Like x 2

#3 Jenny Emily

Jenny Emily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 08 February 2010 - 17:25

I've used Hattons for longer than any other model shop from when I was dragged there with my Father in the early 1990s (in the old treasure-trove of a shop that Norman used to have). Even on the days when he was having an off day, it was still a rewarding trip and I loved going there.

My most recent experience was an order for a loco and several wagons. They arrived in less than 24 hours, with an email confirmation for the order being placed, another for being processed and finally one for when it was despatched. Great customer service.
  • Like x 1

#4 tebee

tebee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationBrittany

Posted 13 February 2010 - 13:14

I had my visit to Hattons in 1968 at the tender age of 14 - showing my age now ! My mum had to take me as she did not think I'd be OK in the big city on my own.....

Been back many times since, bought many bargains and assorted second hand junk as well as some real gems including a scratch built Spanish 0-8-0 and a Tenshodo 0-6-0t with the aftermarket superdetail kit and Walshart's valve gear.

I well remember there was a pair of real Liverpudlian sisters who worked there for many years in the 80's -I always used to enjoy chatting up and flirting with the elder one , though her sister was prettier, we shared a common interest in dogs.

Only been to the new shop a few times, when I was buying vast quantities of Peco track for the last but one layout, but have got a few things mail order off them over the years and they have always been very efficient.

Tom

#5 'CHARD

'CHARD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,341 posts
  • LocationA pre-eminent architectural neoavant-garde railway campus of the 1960s opened by Barbara Castle while she had a Scottish closure proposal in her handbag.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 18:18

I well remember there was a pair of real Liverpudlian sisters who worked there for many years in the 80's -I always used to enjoy chatting up and flirting with the elder one , though her sister was prettier, we shared a common interest in dogs.

LOL, that sounds like a rather un-PC one-liner!
  • Like x 1

#6 S.A.C Martin

S.A.C Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 18:31

Have been buying from hattons for four years - recently bought a very expensive model which on opening was found to be badly damaged. Rang and explained - sent it back, and refund was given the same day. Superb service, even when it does occasionally go wrong. I have since bought a plethora of cheap railroad wagons from them.

#7 magic_monkey09

magic_monkey09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 13 February 2010 - 19:18

I always use hattons aswell. they usually have the cheapest prices and normally the first to get new models in stock. Postage is good 2 B)

#8 57xx

57xx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 19:23

Hattons gave me a pleasant surprise today. The other week I noticed that the 9 sections of Peco Code55 flexi-track I had ordered from them were in fact Code 80. The big issues here were the order was placed last July and I had just cut up one section to lay on my baseboard up before noticing the problem!! After a quick call to them they said no problem, send the remaining 8 pieces back and they'd replace them. They honoured the return and today, I got 9 replacements, completely FOC. That's great customer service in my book. B)
  • Like x 1

#9 coachmann

coachmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17,706 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 19:36

I take my hat off to Hattons.....Posted Image

#10 railways

railways

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 19:08

I love Hattons too it has saved me well over 20 pounds, I know that does not sound a lot be for a 12 year old child it is 2 months of savings and that is in an order of only 100 pounds. I'm mystified about how they do it! :blink:

#11 Andy Y

Andy Y

RMweb Editor

• Administrators
  • 14,124 posts
  • LocationStaffs

Posted 09 April 2010 - 19:50

I know that does not sound a lot be for a 12 year old child 

PM sent.

[Edit - response received and I'm more than happy for 'railways' to continue to use the site.]

Edited by Andy Y, 10 April 2010 - 09:42 .
Positive outcome

• Like x 1

#12 windmills

windmills

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBangor, N. Ireland

Posted 09 April 2010 - 21:02

And Hattons does it again! Ordered goods Saturday, got usual computer generated message that
order had been received. Tuesday lunchtime (after Bank Holiday Monday) received email telling
me order had been picked and posted. Lunchtime Wednesday I received the goods (1st class Post).....
just excellent! Well done, Hattons! ( and Royal Mail too).

#13 oldknotty

oldknotty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 14:52

Just placed another order with Hattons and I must say the service and responses to emails are phenomenal . Considering i am 4000 miles away I feel like I am at a neighborhood hobby shop :-))
martin

#14 Oldddudders

Oldddudders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationLe Mans, France

Posted 19 April 2010 - 15:28

Just placed another order with Hattons and I must say the service and responses to emails are phenomenal . Considering i am 4000 miles away I feel like I am at a neighborhood hobby shop :-))
martin

I hate to rain on your parade, Martin, but at the present time, the chances of your order leaving the UK are really quite limited, due to the Iceland volcano. That's not Hattons's fault, of course, but don't expect the parcel too soon this time!

#15 oldknotty

oldknotty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 22:59

I realize that old dudders and i am not in any rush i know they will do the best they can considering all the problems you guys are having
martin

#16 Jenny Emily

Jenny Emily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:09

I ordered some stuff yesterday from Hattons, not really expecting them to arrive until next week. Imagine my surprise when the postie brought them to the door this morning first thing. That is the fastest I have ever seen from any mail order operation!

#17 owentherail

owentherail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:30

They have things for sale on 11th may 2019s date, if only prices were going to be that then!!!! hope its a typo!! LOL :D

#18 Danemouth

Danemouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 13 May 2010 - 19:04

Ordered a Bachmann Maroon Warship Tuesday, arrived today (Thursday). Yet another triumph for Hattons :)

Come on Bachmann give me a DCC ready Green Warship!

Dave

#19 slow8dirty

slow8dirty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTaunton, Republic of Somerset

Posted 13 May 2010 - 21:14

DCC Sound 25 and a 'mucky duck' ordered online tues night, and bingo they got home before I could!Posted Image

#20 David Rickard

David Rickard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationAylesbury, Bucks

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:05

One reason I like ordering from Hattons is that it all comes in 'old school' brown paper and string. My mum saw one of the parcels once and said she felt compelled to order something from them, just to get a nicely wrapped parcel!

+1 for Hattons.

#21 the fuzzler

the fuzzler

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 21:09

Have ordered a Dapol 66 from them and hope that they're dreadfully inefficient at sending it.

Wifey won't be out tomorrow now, but I might be. There'll be questions asked if it turns up.......!

#22 Stuart-AU

Stuart-AU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationBallarat, AU

Posted 14 May 2010 - 22:15

HI..

It's always a joy to place an order with Hattons. It take about 7-10 day for the order to arrive (Australia) but it's always well packed and it's heap.
Plus the brown paper and string lets you know your trains are here.

2+ for hattons.

sTUART IN oz

#23 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,722 posts
  • LocationUp The Creek

Posted 14 May 2010 - 23:12

Sorry to throw in a negative but they have been over charging service personnel based overseas on the postage. I queried this with Hattons a few weeks ago and they said they'd change it, but the website still shows it as £5 instead of £4.

The BFPO postage costs from Royal Mail are the same as posting to a UK location (something the government have got right), so why should Hattons charge more??? :angry:

#24 the fuzzler

the fuzzler

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 23:10

As luck would have it, was stood outside by the car when the postman arrived.

First class post and Hattons gave First Class service.

#25 magic_monkey09

magic_monkey09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 16 May 2010 - 22:59

dont suppose any1 got the 4pack of BP TEA's for 21 quid did they? i noticed that mistake on the website when they were first uploaded, they soon corrected it though sadly :lol: