Hattons does it again

oldknotty

Have Hattons changed their credit card payment solution - instead of the usual screens I got a put through to another secure site pp2.cxmlpg.com asking me to register my card.

Given the time of day and the fact I couldn't find a reference on Google or Hattons site about who this firm are or that Hattons has changed it payment processing I decided not to continue.

I'll have to give them a call in the morning.

• RMweb Premium

Card verification by third-party sites is increasingly common. The third-party site is required to comply with privacy legislation as that may not permit the retailer to retain your personal details on file as they used to. My orders are regularly passed through verification at Hattons and other places now and yes it is relatively recent.

• RMweb Premium

Card verification by third-party sites is increasingly common. The third-party site is required to comply with privacy legislation as that may not permit the retailer to retain your personal details on file as they used to. My orders are regularly passed through verification at Hattons and other places now and yes it is relatively recent.

And the 3rd party site, is usually hosted by your card company, rather than Hattons. Once you have registered your credit card / debit card to use on-line, you wont have to do it again, they will just ask for 1st 3rd and 8th (etc.) letters of your password.

If it's Verified By Visa that's popped up, you need to create a new password for that operation. When it's up and running and you place an order you may well only get one go at the password. If it fails, the company can still see you placed an order and may contact you to sort payment over the phone or you could ring them.

I had to laugh when I saw this one.

pp2.cxmlpg.com is the PayPage2 solution from Commidea.

I've just implemented the same payment solution for a large publishing house and we are having no end of problems with it. It's a fairly flaky solution so well done to Hattons in getting their implementation completed!

Have any other CDN members of this group had their Hatton's order sent by CityLink?

Just received my dispatch notice from Hatton's, for some reason they are shipping via CityLink courier & not Royal Mail, as I requested in my original order. Sent e-mail to Hatton's advising of the error, but, I think I may be too late.

Cheers.

Andy

My main concern with overseas courier delivery is being charged some asinine/outrageous "brokerage fee", by the courier. As CityLink is not established in Canada, I do not know what courier outfit that CityLink deals with over here..

Cheers.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Why would you be required to pay a brokerage fee? You have paid Hattons for shipping to your door already. If you selected City Link then it is City Link's responsibility to get the item to you for the price you already paid.

City Link does not deliver the parcels in Australia either. Those of mine which have come via City Link arrive in the mail here (via the local parcel contractor working on behalf of Australia Post) just the same as if they had come Royal Mail.

The difference is they seem to arrive in Swiss Mail bags (yes, full size mail bags!) no matter how small the package and have clearly been routed from Liverpool via Zurich and sometimes via New Zealand as well. Not a bad effort for £2 - £3 a time. If I want something a little faster I can pay the local retail price (if it's available here) or the extra shipping (another £1 - £2) for it to come Royal Mail.

I think the brokerage fee Andy referred to is charged by the courier when they pay customs fees (i.e. act as a customs broker) on your behalf - this isn't paid by Hattons and is your responsibility to pay along with the import tax/duty. Not often an issue in NZ (or Aus I think) since we have much more generous personal import limits than some countries - the UK is particularly painful in this regard.

I know Hattons have had some problems with Royal Mail airmail recently - I had a parcel take about 2 months to arrive instead of the usual week, and when I asked about it they said I wasn't alone. It's possible that they sent something via CityLink to work around this?

I think Royal Mail are delivering in a more timely fashion now though, my last two parcels have been a week and two weeks.

Will

• RMweb Premium

Never an issue in Australia unless you import commercial quantities of model rail kit. The UK does have much lower import limitations but then it's far easier to obtain most of the routine stuff there anyway without a need to import.

I have just had a hattons delivery today (Saturday) 09-15 The item was ordered yesterday Friday at around 3-30PM well after the 2PM delivery deadline for next day deliveries.

Well done Hattons again!!

Incidentally I always use the NEXT DAY option its £3.00 more, but even so is far less than the cost of petrol etc in actually visiing the store & collecting , although we live relatively close to Liverpool

Likewise, the latest GSYP Brush 4 which I've had sat on pre-order since its announcement, was processed in ultra-quick time judging by the tracking emails that popped-up over the past 24 hours, and resulting in its delivery by Royal Mail about five minutes ago. Great service as always from the ball-of-string enthusiasts.

I think they have given up on the string now , not had any on deliveries with string on from Hattons for some months now!

Incidentally I have also received this morning emails confirming refund of the cost + postage on an item returned to them yesterday!! Which wasnt posted by me until around 4-00PM ( a Hornby 4 VEP)

Why would you congratulate Hattons on receiving packages so quickly? They don't deliver them.

I took the post by Stevelewis to be praising hattons for ther speed in doing the refund and acknowledgement rather than the speed with which the goods were returned. Many other retailers would have sat on it for a week or so.

Bernard

Exactly correct I posted the ITEM back to them on friday mid afternoon, it would have leeft the PO at 5-30PM

It was sent ordinary 1st class post ( being above the 1KG limit for 2nd class)

I received eMails from Hattons at approx 11-00AM on the following day (SAT) advising me that tthe refund+ post had been processed!

• RMweb Gold

Okay...my first sticky issue with said company earlier today.

I had pre-ordered an item 9 months or so ago and today I got two separate consecutive emails informing me that it was now in stock as I had expressed an interest in it (checking that box no doubt). I checked my account details and it was not listed as a pre-order (despite my email confirmation) so I got on the blower to Hattons from Spain.

Whilst speaking to a very helpful lady, who was reviewing the order, I got an email saying the item was on a picking list and seeing as how she had just deleted the order she then reordered again and I then received a picking list email 2 hours later.

You can imagine my surprise to get another picking list email 2 hours later....packed by the same dispatcher :O with two different picking list order numbers :O :o

On the blower again, and another helpful lady informed me, that indeed I had two separate packages that had now been dispatched and that as they were gone, I could simply return one when it arrived and I would get full refund and refund of any postage incurred.

So all resolved...but I did scratch my head that the person who packed one small package to Barcelona, Spain...then repacked the exact same small package to the same address in Spain and perhaps didn't query it :blink: ...I just wonder how many overseas orders they receive everyday...and what constitutes something worth checking.

It certainly won't stop me ordering from them as I have always had impeccable service both when I lived in the UK and for the last 4 years in Spain...but I thought I would just share this small curious episode 8)

Pete

I did scratch my head that the person who packed one small package to Barcelona, Spain...then repacked the exact same small package to the same address in Spain and perhaps didn't query it :blink: ...I just wonder how many overseas orders they receive everyday...and what constitutes something worth checking.

Pete

That person probably picked and packed 20 or 30 other items in between your 2 orders so unlikely to remember where any of them were going as the address label is printed by computer and all the packer does is stick it on the box.

Archived