Hattons does it again

oldknotty

It is possible they had stock which was entirely pre-sold to advance orders and are awaiting a second delivery.

No Thats not the case, they have not recvd any!!

I did speak to them before I placed an alternate order and they advised they were chasing up the delivery, at time of writng still no stock arrived!

• RMweb Premium

The sky has just fallen in. Hattons website appears to be down.

Oh noes! Did the B*** P****** arrive??? staff_muttley.gif

They actually have three which are not held on the same server precisely for this sort of eventuality.

www.hattons.co.uk/ is aimed at their UK customers but is equally open to overseas customers

www.ehattons.com/ is aimed at all overseas customers but can equally well be used by UK ones

For the life of me I can't remember the third one but both the above seem to be working for me right now.

• RMweb Premium

www.ehattons.com is working for me now and is what I prefer, more for the layout and for viewing more images of a product. www.hattons.co.uk is for "Mainly British outline Railway, road & air models" according to that site. I don't normally use it because you only get one picture of each item, not the four or more on ehattons.

There is (or was) another site, for diecast IIRC, but I can't remember the email address either.

You can also directly access Hattons new releases on www.newfromhattons.com.

Any problems were nothing to do with a Blue Pullman arriving BTW, it's showing as due into stock on or after 17 September 2012. So a while yet...

• 2 weeks later...

recently brought the new 10000 from Hattons and whilst playing trains promptly lost both the horns !! So a quick email to hattons to ask about the cost of replacements shipped to the US ............ instant reply ............in the post on the way no charge??????? NOW THAT'S SERVICE FOR YA !!!!!!

Hattons is about 10 miles from where i live, I phoned them last week and asked did they have the prodigy DCC unit that was advertised on their website, I was told yes we have one left, good i said keep hold of it for me and i will be there in half an hour, NO CANT DO THAT, why,i asked, they said what if you dont come in and someone else came to the shop asking for it, ok i said fair comment.

Can i pay for it over the phone now with a debit card, then you can keep it for me, Yes they said, plus an extra £4 administration charge, Why the extra charge when its a debit card, your taking the money straight away,They said you might not come in to collect, and then we have to post it to you.

I said I'm leaving the house now to pick it up, they said you will get a refund when you pick the item up.

I was too frustrated by then to say anything else apart from ok see you in half an hour, they did refund me the money, but what a faff.

I must admit i find Hattons a bit impersonal regarding the shop, everything is in display cabinets and locked up, i suppose I'm used to the smaller shop where stuff is hands on and your able to look and check it out. They are cheaper on some stuff than other shops but i think talking to someone behind a counter and on a computer, is like i said impersonal.

That's my own personal view ,ive no problems with them other than the comments above ,good service when needed.

Can I pay for it over the phone now with a debit card, then you can keep it for me, Yes they said, plus an extra £4 administration charge, Why the extra charge when its a debit card, your taking the money straight away,They said you might not come in to collect, and then we have to post it to you.

I said I'm leaving the house now to pick it up, they said you will get a refund when you pick the item up.

I was too frustrated by then to say anything else apart from ok see you in half an hour, they did refund me the money, but what a faff.

To be fair to Hattons, it does state the £4 collection charge will be refunded when you collect. I guess that in the past they've had their fair share of customers asking for items to be put aside only for then not to be collected.

T

I've used the order and collect facility a few times, and the £4 fee is always repaid. I have always presumed that this avoids Hattons raising an extra charge for postage if the customer fails to collect, plus because the refund is to the charged card, customer identity on collection is also covered.

Colin

I do understand the reasoning behind the charge and the refund, at the time i was in a rush and i was a bit shall we say fluffed with the phone call, i have never bought from them before. so to me it was a bit unusual as far as i was concerned.

I can also understand not keeping a product just in case someone didn't turn up.

I suppose with the DCC unit being the last one they had at the time they wanted to make sure i did turn up at the shop,

Don't get me wrong i have since been back to the shop and bought products from them.

It is not normally in my nature to be satisfied and even less to talk about it, but!

Hatton's recently gave a full refund on my returning an item damaged in the post, quickly with no hassle, they have gained a frequent buyer customer..

Customer service like this should be the norm, well done from a very happy old chap

:yes: :yes:

With Hattons having so many bargains of late I ordered a batch of 20 POA's as they worked out at £4.75 each. Called on the Saturday and the box arrived Monday using the next day courier service yet I only paid the standard £4 delivery charge so excellent service again from them.

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Premium
I can also understand not keeping a product just in case someone didn't turn up.

In Hattons' case we need to view such an approach in the light of them having such a huge turnover of business as the biggest box-shifter in the industry. The local model shop may well keep something for you for a day or so until you can get there even if is not paid for. Their turnover may be of a level where it is important to retain the single customer rather than focus on a constant tide of web orders and shift as much stock as fast as they can.

In the end as you say you got the goods and at no additional cost. Every business is free to operate as they see fit within the Law and each shop will potentially have a different attitude to this sort of request.

Living in the US where everything is big box stuff and Malls it is really nice to have such pleasant fast and friendly service from a store that is as big as hattons . Some of the big stores here don't give a rats patootie about you as there are many more where you came from and service consists of a return desk with snotty people . Not always the case but often it is !! We have a small train shop near here that will not get anything for you unless you pay up front and before you see it ??? Always someone to blow the status quo eh ?? :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Another good report for Hattons.

Purchased a 350/1 (LM) and a Bachmann 21pin decoder. Sent by the decoder as believed to be faulty and apparntly was. Received that and tested in the model. Which it wouldn't work in (Although model worked fine on DC) So i took the shell of the Bachmann 150/1 i have to test the decoder which worked fine so was the model.

Phoned them up and said just send it back which i did do on Thursday, They got it on Saturday tested it and found out the board that the decoder plugs into was faulty, and due to no replacement stock issued a refund to me. (They phoned home and spoke to my Father as i was up in Scotland visiting other half) The refund went in today back to my bank account and i will be Re-ordering the 350/1 when more are back in stock.

I am very impressed with the customer service from Hattons.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Well more hurrahs for hattons from across the pond !! had to replace my broken Hornby brighton belle , hattons did the turn around in less than two weeks and repaid the shipping . Now THAT is what I call service if only everybody was that good , even our local shops :-)

Martin

• RMweb Premium

As at 14:00 BST UK time, ehattons site is down. Comes up with some weird logon box which suggests it has either crashed or it has been hacked. Hopefully the former rather than the latter.

• RMweb Premium

As at 14:00 BST UK time, ehattons site is down. Comes up with some weird logon box which suggests it has either crashed or it has been hacked. Hopefully the former rather than the latter.

Working fine here at 23.04 local time which is 14.04 UK time

• RMweb Premium

And at 10.15 local (01.15 BST) the site is still responding normally here. Perhaps I should set myself up as an agent and take all your orders? ;)

Archived