Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/photos/p.1697122523683940/1697122523683940/?type=3 Should hopefully do it, but it will depend on Heljan DS privacy settings if not on Facebook

Thank you. I’d expect something about the standard of the O2s, in other words, not bad. If Heljan were to produce something a bit better, it would be good. What about a hinged fall plate for a start?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you. I’d expect something about the standard of the O2s, in other words, not bad. If Heljan were to produce something a bit better, it would be good. What about a hinged fall plate for a start?

Gat a "good 'un" then very good indeed.Problem is that there were many QC issues with the O2 which I hope Heljan will have used as a learning experience .

Having returned to this hobby after a very long break, I have acquired quite a few locos, all used or kits of all ages and makes. I have only three new ones on order. The Dapol Railcar - which now seems to have a bit of a cloud over it, this Heljan 4700, and the Rapido Stirling. Having splashed on new locos - I'm rather hoping to be pleasantly surprised....

That actually looks alright from here.

If I had to pick something out, I'd say the smokebox numberplate on the BR black sample looks a bit undersized, which to me makes it look as if the smokebox door is also slightly undersized. Compare with Brassmasters effort

Also interesting to see that they've used the driving wheel style of crankpin between spokes, correct for the new-build 4709, but not the original nine. Still, it is only a pre-production sample so it may well be that Heljan have the correct wheel pattern sitting somewhere.

That actually looks alright from here.

If I had to pick something out, I'd say the smokebox numberplate on the BR black sample looks a bit undersized, which to me makes it look as if the smokebox door is also slightly undersized. Compare with Brassmasters effort

Also interesting to see that they've used the driving wheel style of crankpin between spokes, correct for the new-build 4709, but not the original nine. Still, it is only a pre-production sample so it may well be that Heljan have the correct wheel pattern sitting somewhere.

The cabside numberplate certainly needs 'tweaking' - the numbers are too small in relationship to the overall plate size.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Looks good, alhough I hope the GWR green is closer in shade than that of the 13xx models.

Can you be more precise is yours too light or too dark as my 2 were on par with Bachmann and the better earlier Hornby's.

Well, if only cabside numbers are an issue, that's nothing. However, if the new 1:1 replica is wrong - for example the main driving wheels - and being followed by Heljan, rather than the real original ones, I'd be very disappointed indeed. One wants a replica - not a replica of a replica. If so - sadly it'll be my first - and last Heljan.

If the 1:1 replica is wrong - for example the main driving wheels - and being followed by Heljan, rather than the real original ones, I'd be very disappointed indeed.

The reuse of the wheels from 4115 was a fundamental element of getting the 47XX replica built. Without them we wouldn't be going to have a "new" 47XX on its way. Of course it would have been nice for Heljan to have tooled up a different wheel just for this model but doing what they have done means that they now have both the CADs for a 61XX and the correct driving wheels (in 4mm).

If it means we get a 61XX it will have been a worthwhile compromise.

Luke

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Does the front end seem to "kick up" in that picture or is it my eyes.  Just like some of the Hornby Lode Stars did a few years ago?

I had a new Hornby Castle with that issue it's an easy fix.

• RMweb Gold

Courtesy of Hatton's.

attachicon.gifHeljan 47xx.jpg

With a few minor issues - mainly relating to decoration.  Smokebox numberplate looks too small/too low (but looks better in the Facebook page pic), shedplate too big/too low, Bend in handrail from smokebox side to go round the front of the smokeiox has too sharp a curve (which is probably to simplify production?) - these things might affect the 'face' of the engine but most won't apply to a GW liveried version of course.  Tender front footstep looks a bit odd - is the bottom step there or not?  And the tender running plate height looks out of alignment withe engine's running plate below the cab.

And another decoration issue on the cabside with the route availability disc placed in the original high position and not the usual later position (might be copied from a prototype photo of one that was different of course?) and no sign of the white 'X' above the numberplate plus the numberplate looks a bit odd and is possibly mounted a little too high?

But the over shape of the engine is pretty good I think.