Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Or could it be that it just wasn't that popular ?? And Hattons need to make room for something better !!

You may find that supposition could apply to the 47XX in time. But I think in fact that it isn't Hattons getting riid of "surplus stock" but Heljan themselves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The problem is dumping Tangos means waiting for the 47xx to be dumped has merit.

If the initial Tango hasn’t sold I assume the other variants might be on hold for a while, same too the black class 05 etc.

I personally thought the price was fine, comparable to other manufacturers, which to me suggests too many were made.

I’m surprised the Tangos were dumped, given Heljan hasn’t announced anything new in OO for 3 years now, b-tanks, and everything planned in OO is delivered, i’d Assume sitting on its assets for longer may have sense, unless they are exiting the OO market or they have new models coming unannounced and they need space or money... to me it seemed premature to dump this lot, they don’t seem to have an in stock range with the same depth and age of Hornby’s or there problems. That said looking backwards Hattons has had low price 26’s, DPUs, 16’s, various Prototype diesels and 47’s at differing times in the past.

Indeed,we've witnessed this scenario quite a few times recently.Hattons seems to be the Clearing House of choice for not just Heljan but on occasion Hornby too.

Yes, it does seem likely that too many were made. After the initial euphoria has died down and the bargains cleared out, I worry that the other two variants of the O2 may not be produced, not to mention the Wickham railbus. However, early indications are that the 07 may turn out to be quite a success and perhaps, just perhaps, the Night Owl may turn out to be better than some people’s experiences have led us to expect.

Going by reports, the Night Owl displays some ingenious thinking in its mechanism and the 05s and 07s are the only RTR 00 shunters which have lights. In addition particular, the lights are not all buried in the body but some depict exquisite little free-standing lamps. I’d be deeply disappointed if the other O2s are not produced and I’m pinning my hopes on Dapol giving Heljan such a challenge in 0 scale that Heljan will return to 00.

(Er, 06 anyone?)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it does seem likely that too many were made. After the initial euphoria has died down and the bargains cleared out, I worry that the other two variants of the O2 may not be produced, not to mention the Wickham railbus. However, early indications are that the 07 may turn out to be quite a success and perhaps, just perhaps, the Night Owl may turn out to be better than some people’s experiences have led us to expect.

Going by reports, the Night Owl displays some ingenious thinking in its mechanism and the 05s and 07s are the only RTR 00 shunters which have lights. In addition particular, the lights are not all buried in the body but some depict exquisite little free-standing lamps. I’d be deeply disappointed if the other O2s are not produced and I’m pinning my hopes on Dapol giving Heljan such a challenge in 0 scale that Heljan will return to 00.

(Er, 06 anyone?)

The fear I have (and hope i’m wrong) is Heljan is the only real European producer in OO”, and Brexit fears have spooked their plans. There isn’t anything else announced In “OO” in the pipeline bar repeats, and nothing new announced since the referendum result.

There’s plenty of the niche that Heljan nicely fills to go at... :

prototypes :18000, Class 89, GT3, Fell, Leader

Shunters class 02,06

Big Freight locos: WD 2-10-0, s160

Single car units: Wickham, Lev1

There’s plenty of Heljanish stuff out there, let’s hope the silence is about to deafen us !

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

A post from Rails on Facebook says both the ‘GREAT WESTERN’ & ‘G crest W’ versions are due by the end of the week. Hopefully t other BR versions aren’t too far away!

I have just received my Black early crest version and tried it on Stourhampton. I have never spent this kind of money on an engine before, but I have to say she’s worth it. Pristine out of the box with no sign of any of the damage or problems noted above. She’s as quiet as the grave, responds good naturedly to my home made dc feedback controller, and scurries sure-footedly through the south yard point work.

Now all I need is 50 or so vans and other fitted vehicles.

10/10 Hattons and Heljan.

• Like 7

A post from Rails on Facebook says both the ‘GREAT WESTERN’ & ‘G crest W’ versions are due by the end of the week. Hopefully t other BR versions aren’t too far away!

Just had an email from RoS telling me that my 'Great Western'  one is on it's way.

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from RoS telling me that my 'Great Western' one is on it's way.

Neil

It will be interesting to see whether these models have the issues the first releases did.

here are the Rails pics, it looks like all the pics so far are of excellent models. :)

attachicon.gif4705_47XX_heljan_1ab_1572.jpg

attachicon.gif4705_47XX_heljan_1ab_1608.jpg

attachicon.gif4707_47XX_GWR_heljan_1ab_r1560.jpg

attachicon.gif4707_47XX_GWR_heljan_1ab_r1630.jpg

To the sound of 'if I were a rich man'.....  

The original version with the full lettering really brings this loco to life - look forward to it arriving. It certainly looks great...!

• RMweb Gold

Fox again set to make cash on plates.Looks OK in general but why let what could be a good model down with a small but spoiling little detail especially at a premium price ? Still only DJM and Heljan attempt to provide GW plates so perhaps we should be thankful for that.In this particular case it is definitely a replacement job however.Is the livery on this batch any different from the first btw ? Doesn't look like it to me.

Now of course we wait for the box openings with some trepidation.Will this perhaps not be bothersome this time round ? Fingers crossed.

Will this perhaps not be bothersome this time round ? Fingers crossed.

Well, the majority seem to have had a good experience. Just not so nearly as large majority as retailers, Heljan or the unlucky would wish.

• RMweb Gold

Well today was my first sighting of one. A black BR version was doing circuits on the test track at the Quorn GCR event hauling six and toying smoothly and effortlessly with them as expected. It had "presence" I will admit.The cab plates are as a zit on the hide of an elephant though.No surprises there.

Verdict to myself and solely a personal observation. ....Promising.Possibly will order Fox plates and Duchy headboard prior to arrival of BR l/c version in green.I am still having a private price gripe about it though.

My 4705 was waiting for me when I got home tonight.

Supplied by Rails of Sheffield in packaging designed to withstand a nuclear blast it took a while to open.

Superb model in perfect condition.

Keep finding more and more nice details on it.

Bag of bits which someone may be able to identify? (2 spare whistles!?)

Polished wheels with grass fibre brush and onto the tracks.

Runs perfectly. Performance through speed range excellent.

I'm one very happy man.

Now packed away again for a Fathers day present, now that is what I call timing.

• Like 6