Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

oh h**l I had quite convinced myself I didn't need one

(and now I need the trailer coach as well :cry: thank goodness this is v low on the kernow horizon)

Ditto! It's noisier than I expected...

Kernow's order confirmation has it as a DJM model.

QuoteTo: Mr XXXXX XXXXX, your order has been received (23/11/14)

Thank you for ordering with
http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com

The total value of your order is: 153.99

Your order consists of the following item/s:

Item Name: K2304 DJ Models GWR Steam Railmotor number 85 GWR Crimson Lake Product Code: EGM2417
Item ID: 51079
Item Description: K2304 DJ Models GWR Steam Railmotor number 85 in GWR Crimson Lake livery
Item Style: DCC Status: 21 Pin Socket / Gauge: OO Gauge / Quantity: 1
Item Price: 149.99
Item Total: 149.99

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here’s the full list that DJs worked on,

http://djmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/DJM-Matrix-May-2018v1.pdf

The LSWR road van and D600 are in there too (but not green, which seems to indicate project closure).

there doesn’t seem much cloak and dagger stuff, if you notice listed there is Accurascales cement bubbles, which ceased midway, there used to be a post on this, buts now just a ghost link on google.

post-20773-0-51706300-1529983106_thumb.jpeg

With the rail motor I can only assume intention started with DJ and moved on before anything started. Hattons also started with DJ now go it alone, I guess that’s the nature of business.

Edited by adb968008

In my haste and naivety I sold the three complete Steam Railmotor brass kits to place reservations a couple of years ago. Thinking that I would never be able to line very well and would not do the kits justice.

I certainly hope the model is produced as was looking forward to running a couple.

If Kernow weren't doing it any longer they would say.

I get the problem, there's not a lot to say.  There are no new CADs or EPs to consider and no news.

We have, instead, been reduced to an (in my view) overlong debate about the participation of the original manufacturer, and (in my view) unnecessary impatience and concerns that it will not happen.

I suppose this is natural and inevitable.

Frankly, I am not convinced that we would be informed particularly promptly if this project was moribund.  The Hattons King was never officially culled, merely indefinitely postponed, but the announcement came long after it became blindingly obvious to many of us that it would never go ahead.  Kernow play it close to their chests.  They have said very little, even concerning who is now responsible for the project.  They are quite capable of delaying the news of the project's demise if they feel there is a commercial reason for doing so (or, perhaps, because they think it's none of our business!).  However, I really don't think that's the case here. In the case of the Hattons King, there was a rival product on the market.  I don't see any similar obstacles to Kernow.

What you can take to the bank is that there is no reason to suppose this model won't be made and no evidence that it won't be made. No news is simply no news.  There is no basis for interpreting it as bad news.

However tantalising the wait for news may be, I am still fully expecting this to happen.  

I am sure it will happen. They just need to get lots of other older stuff out the way and then they will have resources and attention to give this prototype the decent rendition it clearly deserves in Model form.

I believe that we have a very high probability of seeing a lot of progress in 2019.

Now that Kernow are regularly working with the factory directly, they won't want to loose that healthy chain of regular production.

• RMweb Gold

Too much obfuscation and not enough fact causes rumour-mongering.

I'm not surprised with some of the comments on here.

Keith

I seriously doubt there has been much, if anything, in the way of obfuscation on Kernow's part although a failure to update the information on the purchasing part of their website might give that impression to some who looked there instead of simply looking at the reports of progress.  Alas lack of update information is what leads to rumour mongering because it, in turn leads to speculation (which is often so wide of the mark as to be meaningless and then others light on it).  

Kernow last made a progress report on this model in November and for those who care to look attention was drawn by at least one poster to what he perceived as problems revealed by the CAD.  Different viewing angles on a CAD can cause things to be seen in different ways but if nothing else there might well have been reasons to revisit what was in any case an incomplete CAD.  In the meanwhile Kernow have been involved in numerous other projects some of which we know about and no doubt there might be some we know nothing about - irrespective of our knowledge of how many projects Kernow has in hand all of that work consumes time.  And to me, if no one else, it seems logical that projects nearing completion, and about to bring in revenue, are going to take higher priority than those which are further away.

We have never, to my knowledge, been in a situation where Kernow have not given us progress reports when there is visible progress to report, in fact they have been better than several other concerns in making information available to a wider public via their weekly newsletter and information on RMweb.  It is regrettable that today's I want it now and I want news every 5 minutes - even if it is 'no news' - attitude seems to encourage idle speculation when there isn't any news and that idle speculation often tends to become gossip and total nonsense.  Simple message to all of us I think - keep calm, be patient, and keep saving.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I seriously doubt there has been much, if anything, in the way of obfuscation on Kernow's part although a failure to update the information on the purchasing part of their website might give that impression to some who looked there instead of simply looking at the reports of progress. 

IMHO A lack of clarity as to the source of the model has caused a lot of confusion as to it's status.

"Is it DJ Models or isn't it?" Has been part to blame, first it was, then it wasn't. e.g. When wasn't it?

A clear statement as to when DJ Models were no longer involved would have saved pages of speculation. (Either from Dave or Kernow)

e.g "Kernow Models have decided to take this commission in house" or something along those lines.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Why this almost feverish concern over who makes the railcar ? Up to CT to make that judgement call.Our concerns apply when it is delivered,surely .We do not know who makes the Bulleid diesel after all....only that it's a damned fine model.Similarly the NBL Warship's provenance is a mystery.Who cares as long as it satisfies the cognoscenti ( Italian for pundits ).Having seen a couple of samples and handled them,I know it will.

Please let Kernow get on with the job.That is all that matters.

• Like 3

IMHO A lack of clarity as to the source of the model has caused a lot of confusion as to it's status.

"Is it DJ Models or isn't it?" Has been part to blame, first it was, then it wasn't. e.g. When wasn't it?

A clear statement as to when DJ Models were no longer involved would have saved pages of speculation. (Either from Dave or Kernow)

e.g "Kernow Models have decided to take this commission in house" or something along those lines.

That as small an enterprise as Kernow Model Railway Centre has attempted such a slate of commissioned models is to me quite staggering.

While they do not materialize quickly (and unsurprisingly so for such a small enterprise), they appear, to me at least, to be very successful models once delivered. It's easy to nit pick and in a perfect world it would be nice to always have everything 'right' but to my eyes I am very happy with their appearance and that is more than I can say of many GWR models in the past several years from the flagship brand in our hobby.

I may be less critical of detail errors than some since by and large I've not seen any prototype first hand (unless preserved) and I don't have a library of reference works. If things look well, then I am more tolerant of errors than other people seem to be - notwithstanding counting spokes. What I don't like is poor build quality and cheap short cuts.

At the time the railmotor was announced I duly noted that Kernow had commissioned DJ Models to build this item. Apparently that plan changed.

So long as Kernow continues to deliver on their very large tranche of commissions, we shouldn't get spun up and imagine the worst.

I understand comparisons with the Hattons/DJM King. (Like the Kernow Railmotor, you can still find the King on the Hattons website.) There were good commercial reasons (meaning of course the rapid materialization of the Hornby King) to indefinitely postpone the Hattons/DJM King but I would like to see it some day. I still don't understand whether the (many) DJM duplications were an unhappy accident or something more deliberate by one party or another.

The railmotor is different. I don't see Hornby or Bachmann making one soon. Dapol will be busy with the Mogul and Large Prairies (more duplications) into next year - probably well into next year. The railmotor is a niche interest well suited to the southwest of England and no one serves this niche better than Kernow.

I'm not holding my breath, but I expect to see a Kernow railmotor some day.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Keith

It only appears to have confused those who wish to be confused - why does it matter who makes it or who doesn't make it?  Surely what matters is the pace or otherwise at which information about progress does or doesn't appear - after all if you are saving for one it might help some folk to know how long they've got to get the money together but I can see no other reason for worrying about the pace.

Kernow produced information on progress with the last publication in this thread being last year (and that did not come from DJM) and I believe that an update appeared in Kernow's newsletter in January this year with more CADs shown.  

Why do you want 'a clear statement' - there's more than enough in this thread about DJM not being involved in this model including confirmation of that from DJM (and what could be clearer than that)?

I'm glad Kernow aren't bothering to comment on all this nonsense as it means they're undoubtedly devoting time to more positive matters such as progress on various models. 

• Like 1

It only appears to have confused those who wish to be confused - why does it matter who makes it or who doesn't make it?  Surely what matters is the pace or otherwise at which information about progress does or doesn't appear - after all if you are saving for one it might help some folk to know how long they've got to get the money together but I can see no other reason for worrying about the pace.

Kernow produced information on progress with the last publication in this thread being last year (and that did not come from DJM) and I believe that an update appeared in Kernow's newsletter in January this year with more CADs shown.  

Why do you want 'a clear statement' - there's more than enough in this thread about DJM not being involved in this model including confirmation of that from DJM (and what could be clearer than that)?

I'm glad Kernow aren't bothering to comment on all this nonsense as it means they're undoubtedly devoting time to more positive matters such as progress on various models. 

Hear Hear Mike

Some folk just need a bit of patience in my view, because they will be here within the year to eighteen months I am sure. Consider the other items in the KMRC list - it seems like the dam has been breached and the projects are now starting to flow. Fair play to those who committed to Chris Trerise ordering the railmotors and making the project worthwhile, because I am sure there are masses more who will be wanting buy them when they see them on the shelves. I have firmly resisted so far because of wrong era and wrong area, but after seeing some prototype videos of 92 and 93 in action, I may waver !! 

• Like 2

Aside from setting the record straight about one issue where there was confusion - yes, originally this was announced as a DJM production (though now evidently isn't) - there does not seem much more to be said, and I am bound to agree with Mike that it doesn't really matter. 

If the Bullied diesel is anything to go by, Kernow seems to have found a successful formula, so I rather suspect that its change of direction is a good thing. 

One thing I've learned from the posts is that it is necessary to be on the Kernow mailing list in order to receive updates, so I will do this rather than expect updates to appear here. Not that the updates seem frequent, or particularly recent, but that doesn't strike me as anything to complain about.

It does strikes me that, during a prolonged period with no updates, fans of this project might have been discussing the prototype, but then, I've noticed that getting excited (or impatient?) about a new model and being interested in its prototype are not necessarily to be found together these days.  Perhaps that explains the strong sales of some fairly, even very, inaccurate models?  Be that as it may, surely it can't hurt to make ourselves a little better informed about the subject of this model?  It's not as if we've anything better to do on this topic.

• Like 2

Keith

This is really internal affairs between DJM and Kernow. The only part we need to be assured is, that the item is going ahead and will have a level of quality we seek for a price we pay.

We could imagine all sorts of things as to why DJM is now outside the picture. The most positive I can think of is that DJM showed Kernow the ropes to outsourcing in China and they now stand on their own two feet.

Alternatively, it could make for exciting headlines in the model railway press if the worst thing I can imagine had actually happened "Chris to go it alone with Steam Railmotor after punch up with Dave Jones over spilled beer."

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Based on annual updates can we expect a first EP in Nov 2019.....

Not necessarily so.   It depends who is making it and what factory capacity they or what time they have had to work on the CADs.  There was one recent Kernow model which went from first CAD to on the shop shelves in not very much over 12 months.  So as ever this one will appear when it appears and the next stage will be checking of the latest CADs before anything else can happen.

Not necessarily so.   It depends who is making it and what factory capacity they or what time they have had to work on the CADs.  There was one recent Kernow model which went from first CAD to on the shop shelves in not very much over 12 months.  So as ever this one will appear when it appears and the next stage will be checking of the latest CADs before anything else can happen.

I had my jovial hat on meant to put a jester emoji in, I think this one will move quite quickly now it is in Kernow's hands, maybe I should put in my pre-order so it adds up the potential revenue which will help further encourage Kernow to produce the model.