Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Keith

My copy of Lewis now retrieved.

I actually wondered when it was first announced whether there would be a companion trailer and how it would be produced, especially as there is the one which usually runs with the SRM.

Some parts would be common, whereas a lot would not, so a separately tooled model, I would think, if one ever appears.

I've got an old Ks auto-trailer as well as a kit of a newer Nu-Cast version which together I was hoping ( :scratchhead: ) might be butchered into a 70' one!

Keith

Hi All,

Worsley Works do etches for the sides and ends of the No. 92 style auto trailer - I have a set in the increasingly embarrassing stupidly large coach kit mountain at chez Castle... The rest of the other bits are easily available too.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

when I first heard of this model, I was very interested, but now I have decided to go HO, and intend to produce my models, including hopefully some GWR steam railmotors, using 3D printing for the bodies. I got a copy of Ken Gibbs book, some nice but small drawings, but tested scanning and printed one out in much bigger scale. Enough detail to produce a model. Once I hav done design I will have a look at resizing it to othe scales.  I had not realised there were so many different GWR ones.

I can now sit back and not get stressed by delays in new models, apart from some where I can use the chassis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had been scratching my head to work out which GWR diag classification no 93 was, as it was not in the book I bought at York. I then got a copy of Jim Russell's book, which has diag R , and this matches. But it has raised a couple of questions.

The drawings only show the centrally mounted roof projections(lamp tops or roof vents?) , but trailer cars show two  lines of roof vents either side. These are also on the preserved steam railmotor.Some photos in Jim Russell's book show railmotors with roof vents, but there is also a photo of no 92(same batch as preserved one), which look like the off centre roof vents are not present. Were these roof vents a modification? In which case, depicting a particular railmotor in a particular year/livery would require models to have both variations.

I am thinking of starting on my own design, and it should be possile to cover both long and short versions, with single or double doors. I think this covers diags O, Q ,Q1 and R.

On looking at the Kernow website, the photo of no 97 is virtually identical to that of no 92 , mentioned above. I had to double check, to make sure I had not got the number wrong.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Premium

SRMs 91-99 were diagram "R" built in 1908. 93 was converted into a diagram A26 no. 212 in May 1935.

Pictures of these converted SRMs show a twin row of ventilators with a central row of shallower projections which are the gas lamps with a twin pipe feed, however some other types have different roof detail.

There is a picture in GWR Autotrailers Part 1 of a converted SRM to diagram A26 and the roof detail is clearly visible, this seems to tie up with the Diag R SRMs

Keith

• 2 months later...
Guest Midland Mole

I recently found a photo showing what I think is a Railmotor at Stourport station in 1904, and it is making me want to pre-order one of these. Please tell me I am wrong and save my poor wallet! :D

post-29937-0-65531200-1502814483_thumb.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was worried that would be the case, looks like I will be pre-ordering one at some point then. ;)

Alex

No sympathy. I am in no way a GWR modeller, but this is a stonking prototype, and Kernow deserves a success with the model. I will be in the queue in due course. 

• Like 1

Any updates, perchance?

Not for a while I suspect.

Kernow Model Rail Centre is pretty good about updates in their newsletters.  They have a lot on their commissioning plate that I suspect is ahead in the queue.

In no particular order:

Bulleid diesels

LSWR gate stock

GWR 1361

LSWR van

Amongst others. Look near the bottom of this page.

• RMweb Gold

Not for a while I suspect.

Kernow Model Rail Centre is pretty good about updates in their newsletters. They have a lot on their commissioning plate that I suspect is ahead in the queue.

In no particular order:

Bulleid diesels

LSWR gate stock

GWR 1361

LSWR van

Amongst others. Look near the bottom of this page.

Their Facebook page also has a possible teaser video too, 47701 in revised NSE was running round their layout, as far I see no one since Lima has done this one ?

https://youtu.be/FefGt8Of5Ho

Edited by adb968008

I was worried that would be the case, looks like I will be pre-ordering one at some point then. ;)

Alex

Welcome back! :)

If you have any lingering doubts, these superb videos should allay them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=osxrz2mW0zA&feature=endscreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3yUNViQ2k

The question you should be asking is, “How many can I afford?”

(My only lingering unease relates to the motor and gears of the model. I am hoping that Kernow will take a similar – but possibly vertical – approach to that it took with the Bulleid diesels.)

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

Very nice videos, it really is a very interesting locomotive....coach....thing. :D I really must try and see it in the flesh sometime.

As for how many I can afford, definitely only one. What with the Stirling Single, J70 trams, N7s, Hornby Duchesses, H Class, Birdcages.....my list of stuff I want to buy grows all the time! :P

Alex

Very nice videos, it really is a very interesting locomotive....coach....thing. :D I really must try and see it in the flesh sometime.

We travelled in it for a return jaunt on the Liskeard - Looe branch.

A great trip and, as the return leg was after dark, very atmospheric - evoking the Edwardian era to perfection!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

Guest Midland Mole

A great trip and, as the return leg was after dark, very atmospheric - evoking the Edwardian era to perfection!

That sounds wonderful, lucky you. :)

Alex

As for how many I can afford, definitely only one. What with the Stirling Single, J70 trams, N7s, Hornby Duchesses, H Class, Birdcages.....my list of stuff I want to buy grows all the time! :P

Alex

Ah yes, a familiar problem. :(

• RMweb Gold

I haven't see an update in a while. I do hope Kernow are still plugging away with this.

Any updates, perchance?

Ian.

You will get an update when Kernow have something to say - as is their usual method - but they are rather busy with a  number of projects at present of which this is just one but I am aware that this one is definitely progressing.

• Like 1

nice detail shot of the roof.Now I realise the reason for the ring around the chimney.

All these r2r projects seem to take a long time, but they are not cheap to do. In the mean time here is one of my 3D printed models of the shorter version(I have also done the longer one)

gwr-steam-railmotor1-sm.jpg

Mine is HO(OO also designed), hence why I had trouble fitting motor chassis(Liliput/Bachmann fireless loco).

I have started on a design for the trailer coach. T

his has actually got me thinkinking whether the Kernow model will produce right model for each period, remembering that the gongs were only fitted in 1927ish, as were the trailers and all autocoaches. The preserved railmotor and trailer are therefore in a bit of a hybrid state, being pre WW1 livery but the trailer has a gong, but the steam railmotor is without one!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Can always model it without a chimney.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3953/15567513092_087a1c45c6_b.jpg

On the Brentford line, it was found to be out of gauge and had to be removed, that and as can be seen by the garden hose, was why the timetable went completely out of the window.

Hmm I seem to recognise that hat for some reason...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...