Kernow 117 3 car DMU

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave do you mean 115 in the topic title? :scratchhead:

It is bit worrying for us punters if the delvelopment geezer appears not to be saying the same thing as the his retail outlet. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/80/wr_suburban_dmu

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Dave do you mean 115 in the topic title? :scratchhead:

It is bit worrying for us punters if the delvelopment geezer appears not to be saying the same thing as the his retail outlet. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/80/wr_suburban_dmu

Edited for being out side , having fat cold fingers and stupidity for not checking before sending! Sorry

• Like 1

Confusion! Title on thread Class 115 on Kernow website pictures off Class 116 as well as drawings of a Class 117. The 116 and 117 are very similar apart from the cab ends however a Class 115 is very different ! Some clarification would be appreciated

Great news though and I wish Davy all the best with this I just hope there are enough hours in the day for him to do all these models.

I think we are seeing a major c change in model railway manufacturing where the monoliths of those a crumbling and the tech savy pioneers of the future are emerging!

XF

Edited by Xerces Fobe2

So here is where I show my total ignorance of WR DMUs.  What class of DMU is shown in the colour photo taken at Tilehurst?  It appears to have squared off buffers, not round as shown in all the CAD images.  And what Class is shown is shown in the B&W shot taken in Reading MPD.  Both images seem to date from 1959-60 with a measure of imprecision in this estimate.  Having said that, the unit in the colour shot looks almost ex-works.  And before anyone starts on colour....Don't trust the colour rendering!!

Richard 

post-18453-0-66485400-1416682868_thumb.jpg

post-18453-0-15137600-1416682886_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Is it???? ;-)

Not easy but I think I am with Chris on the first vehicle

The pattern of door hinges is right and that looks like a suggestion of a white roof dome at the far end

Cant say about the second vehicle though!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So here is where I show my total ignorance of WR DMUs.  What class of DMU is shown in the colour photo taken at Tilehurst?  It appears to have squared off buffers, not round as shown in all the CAD images.  And what Class is shown is shown in the B&W shot taken in Reading MPD.  Both images seem to date from 1959-60 with a measure of imprecision in this estimate.  Having said that, the unit in the colour shot looks almost ex-works.  And before anyone starts on colour....Don't trust the colour rendering!!

Richard 

Hi Richard

The top photo is a Pressed Steel 3 car suburban unit (class 117). When new they did not have the marker/tail lights under the cab windows, these were fitted when they were refurbished in the 1970s. The cut off buffers were common on all the long underframe units, some had full Oleo large round buffers and some oval buffers. It was not unknown for a single coach to have all three types. Birmingham RCW units (class 118) looked very similar, the main visual differences being they had the marker/tail lights from new and the headcode box had a nice curved top that matched the roof profile, not a flat one as found on a Pressed Steel unit.

I agree with Chris the lower photo is of a Gloucester RCW single car unit ( class 122) with a driving trailer of the same make. If you look at the brake end of the leading coach it has a tapper from the roof to about 3/4s the way down as it has a second cab. The very similar looking Derby units (class 116) in green livery were delivered unlined, later they were lined. The lower lining was straight below the cab and coach side windows. The top band was close to the top of the side windows and had a neat curve up to bring it above the cab windows, the same as the Pressed Steel unit in the top photo. The Gloucester Cross country units (class 119) had the same lining as the single car vehicles. It helps distinguish the various classes of Derby units from the Gloucester ones.

Edited by Clive Mortimore