Kernow 117 3 car DMU

DJM Dave

I hope it is not a 3-car 115, because they were 4-car units.

Hi Jonny, sorry to sound picky here, and this is a 117 thread, the 115's ran as 3 car units in the early 80's out of Allerton shed in Liverpool primarily on the L/pool - M/cr services across the CC lines, then they ended up back down South by the mid 80's.

Not sure if some people may not be aware, the 115's & 127's DMBS car had smaller guards van compartments than the 116, 117 & 118 units, and the 115's & 127's generally ran with 2 x DMBS car in their full set configurations.

Happy modelling

Craig

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't mind a Regional Railways one, and possibly an NSE one. British Telecom 118 would be nice too! Kernow mention there will a vote on liveries? Is this live yet?

As I understand Kernow's statements the "vote" which I understand will be an opening of the pre-order books will not go live until a price for the 3-car units is received from China.  

Once the price is known then the newsletter is probably the best way to keep in touch and sign up for your preferred option(s) once the order book opens.

Remember not all possible combinations may proceed.  Kernow has only committed to producing those which attract at least 250 orders.  

Hi Jonathan

The Derby 3 car sets (116) had no lavatory in their trailer cars, both the TS (dia 555) and TC (dia 600) had the same body with different seating. The Lee Valley (125) TS (dia 597) had no loo but differed slightly in the arrangement of the saloons compared to a 116 which resulted in a different arrangement of windows. The TS of the 115 and 127 sets (dia 590) were not the same as either the TS in the 116 or the 125 when it comes to the seating and window layout. On the 115 the TC(L) (dia 599)  had the first class at the opposite end than in a TC(L) of a 117 and 118 (dia 601) again resulted in a differing window pattern. The TS(L) of the 127 (dia 589) differed again window wise compared to the TC(L) of a 117 or 118.

For the diagrams see http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRDMUIssue.pdf

Put a thanks to your post.

Did some bedtime reading after my posting - 1st Generation DMU Book (Bible).

Know a lot more about the 127's as I was bought up with them.

Without reading all through this, there seems to be lots of confusion just because a 'family' of units has been mentioned.

The 'innovative use of slides' would enable 116, 117 and 118 3-car units to be produced. Alternative slides for inner ends could provide for original and later gangwayed cars. Further changes were made when units were refurbished - slides could probably accommodate these, too.

Classes such as 115s, 127s and DTSs for bubble cars are different vehicles and would require more than just a few interchangeable slides.

Also, the announcement refers to BR green with whiskers or yellow panels. However, there were several shades of green depending on when and where units were built/painted and there were unlined and lined units in both 116 and 117 versions (poss 118s, too).

• RMweb Gold

I am finding this topic fascinating but would like to know more. So could someone please point in the way of some good books. I know of british railways 1st generation dmus but trying to find one below £50.

I see on Wiki there was a Class 119 which seemed to operate on the WR. It had no head code roof boxes, and it would seem the same as the 116.

I remember DMU's a lot.... but I'm not an expert. I run WR 1970's so could a model 116 be a 119 with renumbering?

Confused of Bicester...

I see on Wiki there was a Class 119 which seemed to operate on the WR. It had no head code roof boxes, and it would seem the same as the 116.

I remember DMU's a lot.... but I'm not an expert. I run WR 1970's so could a model 116 be a 119 with renumbering?

Confused of Bicester...

The 119s were Gloucester-built Cross-Country units. The body and door arrangements were similar to the Swindon-built Class 120s, only the cab-ends resembling the 116-118 types.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As the 116s were built at Derby over a period of 4 years different delivery routes to the WR must have been used from time to time and the odds are that at least one of the units passed through Leicester Midland when new. Given the complicated route necessary to get from Derby Works onto the GC main line perhaps Leicester Central would be less likely though not impossible.

Some Western men also worked into Washwood Heath on freights from the Bordseley direction, so Duddeston Road could be a changeover place if the set was going straight through to say Reading.

Found one on delivery at Bordesley.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbg1336.htm

• RMweb Premium

Close-coupling within the units and at the outer ends? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Except that the prototype isn't close-coupled at all.  Bachmann bars would do.  Kadees are a simply fit and would do though are seldom supplied as standard on British items.  The Hawksworth gangways take up a fair bit of space over the coupler as well meaning any daylight mightn't be as bad as on the Lima versions.

• RMweb Premium

If we are talking about DCC and sound fitted.... How about adding a couple of smoke units.....

In my train spotting days, I got the bus over to Hayes and Harlington to get the 117 local service to PDN. As the units came under the road bridge, they were loud, with plenty if exhaust fumes belching out :-)

I might be tempted to get one, when they are closer to production....

• RMweb Gold

Confused of Bicester...

The 119 GRCW were very common in Bristol and as Brian has said, very similar layout as Cross country units to the Swindon 120s. I'm sure these long-frame DMUs won't be too far away - if someone goes for a 120 it will take little extra except a set of cabs to get a 119.

Sorry to drag OT.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Except that the prototype isn't close-coupled at all.  Bachmann bars would do.  Kadees are a simply fit and would do though are seldom supplied as standard on British items.  The Hawksworth gangways take up a fair bit of space over the coupler as well meaning any daylight mightn't be as bad as on the Lima versions.

I think Roco 4-pole electric couplings could be used within the set, as they would allow lights to be operated throughout with only one decoder.

I've got a picture of a 116 that I took in 1961 at Aberdare Low Level, if anyone's interested.

• RMweb Gold

Could we have some Lea Valley Class 125's as well please, virtually the same afaik.

Weren't they hydraulic transmission instead of mechanical. That means that just the bits under the motor coaches will need changing.

• RMweb Premium

Weren't they hydraulic transmission instead of mechanical. That means that just the bits under the motor coaches will need changing.

And the centre car, but if they are going to all the effort to do the variations that appeared on the 116, 117 and 118 then a 125 would not be hard and most welcomed by those who model ex GER and GNR lines, not everyone is a GWR modeller.

• Like 1

But I've already converted a Lima unit (5  coaches actually) into a 3-car 125! The centre car had 10 slices to stick together if I remember correctlty.

Mind you, had enough bits left over for my mate to construct a dinky little 4-wheel railcar in 009. 4 cabs and 1 seating bay.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

But I've already converted a Lima unit (5  coaches actually) into a 3-car 125! The centre car had 10 slices to stick together if I remember correctlty.

Mind you, had enough bits left over for my mate to construct a dinky little 4-wheel railcar in 009. 4 cabs and 1 seating bay.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

I have started to make one http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93301-dmu-conversions-for-sheffield-exchange/

• 3 months later...