Kernow 117 3 car DMU

DJM Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Yes I'm glad I stocked up a few years ago. You can do a lot with the basic Lima model. I just don't pay these stupid prices. Given the amount of stock that sits for years in local model shops I am not the only one.

Yes I'm glad I stocked up a few years ago. You can do a lot with the basic Lima model. I just don't pay these stupid prices. Given the amount of stock that sits for years in local model shops I am not the only one.

The man at Silver Fox still seems to be selling his conversion kits to make the Lima DMBS into a DMS (or is it the other way round?), often offered on ebay by himself as "skmodeller" - no interest except as a very satisfied customer. Even the standard model at £250+ seems quite a lot, although I'm sure it will be splendid.

John

• RMweb Premium

£164 is ball-park for a quality locomotive these days and the single-car vehicles are effectively just that as is the motorised class 117 coach. That effectively prices the trailers for the 3-car units at £83 apiece which is above the level of previous commissions but may be factored for a 2019/20 cost base. And remember these are commissions not mainstream catalogue releases which usually has a bearing on price.

With the Bachmann 4Cep units from a well-used tool now listed at £300 (though widely available for less) and the forthcoming 2-Hap at £212 the DMU prices are in the same ball park whether we like it or not.

£164 is ball-park for a quality locomotive these days and the single-car vehicles are effectively just that as is the motorised class 117 coach. That effectively prices the trailers for the 3-car units at £83 apiece which is above the level of previous commissions but may be factored for a 2019/20 cost base. And remember these are commissions not mainstream catalogue releases which usually has a bearing on price.

With the Bachmann 4Cep units from a well-used tool now listed at £300 (though widely available for less) and the forthcoming 2-Hap at £212 the DMU prices are in the same ball park whether we like it or not.

Indeed yes, and frankly if that's what a manufacturer or commissioner wants for their product, it's pay up or do without!

The issue then is how many choose to do without, particularly if an alternative, in this case the Lima 117, exists.

It's relatively simple to get a Bachmann 4 CEP in mint condition off ebay for under £100, and Hattons still have a raft of 2 HALs in blue available for £62 a pop. So it seems to me that once the first line of demand has been met, there may not be a lot underneath to keep the price up. Exceptionally, the Kernow "Thumper" unit has kept its price, particularly in the second hand market, so presumably they simply haven't made very many?

John.

It's relatively simple to get a Bachmann 4 CEP in mint condition off ebay for under £100, and Hattons still have a raft of 2 HALs in blue available for £62 a pop. So it seems to me that once the first line of demand has been met, there may not be a lot underneath to keep the price up. Exceptionally, the Kernow "Thumper" unit has kept its price, particularly in the second hand market, so presumably they simply haven't made very many?

If you can point me in the direction of blue/grey CEPs for under £100 I'd be very grateful.

• RMweb Gold

If you can point me in the direction of blue/grey CEPs for under £100 I'd be very grateful.

With the risk of going OT, so would I, as i'd like a second one.

I seem to recall the same argument about price being made around the Kernow Thumper & 4-TC, but I think i'm in the majority by saying both are worth the price. I'm pretty sure the 117 will be as well, even though i've just finished improving a Lima one. The new power-train would be worth it alone....

Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Gold

Right, I was thinking of the green ones when I made the post. Are Blue/grey more pricey?

John.

They certainly seem to be much thinner on the ground. I ended having to pay closer to £200 to get my hands on one. Edited by Geep7

Right, I was thinking of the green ones when I made the post. Are Blue/grey more pricey?

John.

I bought a blue grey for £120 in 2017 and sold it for the same in 2018, the only units I saw under £100 were the EPBs but they too were generally £120.

Hattons have a lot of green 2 EPB and 4 CEP in their second hand, all well over £130.

If you can travel back in time some 5 years, they could be picked up £80 each in the clearence bins, they were around £120 each when first released. It does feel odd seeing the word Bargain and £210 on the current B/G 4-CEP when the combined cost of both of mine was less than that. However, looks like I'm gonna pay when that 4-BEP appears needed to finish off my boat train. 

I seem to recall the same argument about price being made around the Kernow Thumper & 4-TC, but I think i'm in the majority by saying both are worth the price. I'm pretty sure the 117 will be as well, even though i've just finished improving a Lima one. The new power-train would be worth it alone....

That poses a thought for those who prefer to bodge.

Has anyone got hold of a cheap Bachmann class 108 to sacrifice the Derby ends to replace Lima class 116 / 117 cab ends, and the Bachmann power bits to drive it ? Pretty sure 108s can be had reasonably cheaply, but I appreciate the drive unit is obtrusive.

• Like 1

Has anyone got hold of a cheap Bachmann class 108 to sacrifice the Derby ends to replace Lima class 116 / 117 cab ends, and the Bachmann power bits to drive it ? Pretty sure 108s can be had reasonably cheaply, but I appreciate the drive unit is obtrusive.

Do Replica supply a correct length motor unit, their motors are unobtrusive.

Do Replica supply a correct length motor unit, their motors are unobtrusive.

Yes.  Replica can supply 57' and 64' frame power car chassis I believe, but i think they are £50+ for one motorised frame, whereas a secondfhand 108 might be had for that price - with the Derby cab ends. That is if anyone feels the urge to replace the Lima cabs with Bachmann cabs

• Like 1

With the risk of going OT, so would I, as i'd like a second one.

I dont think its a question of if they are worth it, but more a question of can I afford it!

• RMweb Gold

Yes.  Replica can supply 57' and 64' frame power car chassis I believe, but i think they are £50+ for one motorised frame, whereas a secondfhand 108 might be had for that price - with the Derby cab ends. That is if anyone feels the urge to replace the Lima cabs with Bachmann cabs

I’m not sure why you would want to change the cabs... the Lima profile may be wrong but why would you want to make it wronger.... perhaps a more economical 117 powered chassis could be found in the Heljan parcels car?

Griff

Yes I've done so on my 3 car Regional railways class 117, it requires quite a bit of profiling but looks miles better than the Lima cab ends, I can post a picture?

NL