Storage/fiddle yard module

cromptonnut

Hi all, thought I'd post some "in progress" pictures of another module I'm working on - a fiddle yard for "off scene" (rest of the world) train storage.

It's a 12ft long unit at present, made of three boards, created from some spare 16" wide boards I had - the end where it connects to the modules is standard 18" wide single track format with a blending on the scenic section.

The scenic end consists of a Dapol signal (which helps to indicate to drivers approaching how ready the yard operator might be for their train) through a Peco tunnel mouth, and fans out into 6 sidings, the shortest siding being long enough to take the equivalent of 10 x mk 1's (or 9 plus loco) - which was my key goal as I wanted something long enough to put my CEP/VEP combo (and maybe an MLV, 2-EPB or loco if I fancy).  It is possible that I could extend it by another 2ft quite easily to fit a 12 car EMU but until we know we need that much space and have a suitable station to take it, it'll stay as it is :)

post-8328-0-47106200-1416749181_thumb.jpg

This is the 'scenic end' which will be finished off soon by completing the polystyrene former and static grass/trees etc on top.  Behind it slots a sky board which provides an actual scenic break.  It's grey sky, about to rain, and an experiment with spraycans but it's quite subtle and doesn't really show it well in a photo.

post-8328-0-95309900-1416749201_thumb.jpg

This is the 'throat' with red markers painted on the track to show the 'impact point' where all trains need to be beyond in order not to foul adjacent trains coming and going.  At the moment points are not motorised but I am toying with the idea of doing so, and having route indicators to show which path is set.  After all, I need a 16v supply to the board for the signal so I might as well consider point motors.

post-8328-0-42376400-1416749188_thumb.jpg

This is the view to the end of the board, only two tracks currently fully laid.  I'm using Peco code 100 as it's more robust rather than trying to align 6 tracks in 2 places every time I put the boards together.  The first track goes to about 2 inches short of the join, then lengths of Peco flexi are laid and connect to "single straights" permanently pinned down about 9" from the end of the second board.  This is to ensure that track spacing is maintained.  In due course I will repeat this onto the third board, with permanently attached track to the end where buffer stops and an overrun protector will be fitted to stop trains falling off the end of the boards.

post-8328-0-15294100-1416749194_thumb.jpg

Final shot, from the other end.  Although it looks quite high, it is to the "track level 45 inches above ground" standard and I thought it would be unstable but the legs I've bodged together seem to work well.  Basically it's two standard H style legs that fit inside, but they're screwed together at the bottom giving a V shape when looking side on.  Then a long bolt between the cross pieces (6" from top of leg) is used as a 'clamp' which pulls everything together.  I may well look at adding some patternmakers dowels to make alignment easier in due course.

Of course, I still need to paint the sides, and add an electrical bus underneath and a Lenz controller "plug in" point, but those are fairly minor secondary jobs - this was to test the theory and check lengths, and I'm glad that so far everything has gone to plan.  I may also put down an isolated length of track adjacent to the pointwork that can act as a DCC programming track.

It can also be used in 8ft format if required, which allows shorter trains but may still be useful as storage off of a small branch or similar as part of a larger modular arrangement.

I may look at making one further board in due course, of a similar format but with twin track coming in - which then gives the option of a single or double 12ft long storage facility, or both an 8ft single and double track - or, I guess theoretically it could also become a 16ft long single one end to double the other storage facility as part of a "roundy roundy" or midpoint as a scenic break between two terminus stations at the end of a string of other modules.

I must admit I hadn't remembered that post but I've always done that anyway - I know storage yards can be critical for some layouts but certainly in the early stages with two long trains, six medium trains and four short trains in a mixture of passenger (both loco hauled and units) and freight plus probably a couple of light locos as well ought to be more than enough to maintain enough variety "on call", plus trains already on the layout in sidings and stations, to start with - and if we need more then someone else can build one as I've spent enough on points!!!

If we were able to use 3 way points I'd have made it 7 roads.  Using medium points I didn't have enough length without dispensing with the scenic bit to get in an additional point before the end of the board hence sticking with 6 :) 

I have some aluminium angle originally purchased for O gauge cassettes picked up from B&Q (I bought far more than I needed) so I may well consider adding that to each side as well to assist with reducing the risk of floor impact.  But I can't find my hacksaw at the moment to cut it to length so that's a "sometime job" - or when I can get to a shop and buy another one.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember where I read it last night on here but I woke up several times thinking about it and yes, it should work.  By using two of the four legs I have made for the fiddle yard, by drilling holes in the side of the boards and using the crossbracing on the legs, I can make a small 'carry frame' that is approx. 48" x 18" x 16" that will contain the entire storage board, leaving just the two intermediate pairs of legs and scenic break's removeable backsene plus low relief trees as 'loose'.  I will probably use an offcut of wood to go over the loose end where the Dapol signal is, being as it is delicate and relatively vulnerable.

Believe me, when you only have a Fiesta, every item you don't need to carry will make a huge difference.

I need to crack on and finish this - there's so little left to do it would be good to have something 'signed off' and, in fact, put away to make space to work on something else!

Archived