GWR 2600 Class Kit-Bash, in 00 Gauge

SDJR7F88

I have always wanted to have a go at building my own loco, but have never plucked up the courage until now. My basic plan was to build or recreate a loco on an existing RTR chassis, but had no idea on what sort of chassis to use or even what sort of loco to recreate! :jester:  After following the 'Great British Locomotives' Magazine topic, where many RMweb users have used the bodies from the static models from these magazines on RTR chassis to create running models, with great effect! One post in the topic really caught my attention though, as it did not involve a loco from the collection, but a Dapol Plastic Kit, which can be picked up in most model shops. The Post by RJS1977 showed his representation of a GWR 2600 Class, created with a Dapol 'City of Truro' kit, a Lima Class 09 Diesel Shunter Chassis and a few other pieces! This inspired me to try and have a go myself!  :locomotive:

I started getting the pieces together, purchasing the Dapol 'Truro' kit and borrowed a Lima 09 Chassis and Airfix Railways 61xx Pony Truck from a friend. I plan to create the loco, as so not to have to modify the RTR parts used (like the chassis), so that it can be re-united with it's 09 body and ran as a shunter once more (plus I don't think my friend would be happy if I did not give his 09 or 61xx pony truck back) :jester:

As mentioned a number of time all ready this will be just a representation of the Class, as there are a number of limitations using the Lima Chassis and modification are needed so it will fit, like adding a panel to cover the part of the motor that will stick out of the firebox. Been not 100% accurate means that's I'm going for a fictional livery for the Class and the running number will be the next number in line, in this case 2681 (The livery will be announced later on in the project).  :sungum: 

I will be keep you all up to date on how the project is getting on with videos and pictures over the coming weeks. :mail:

Few! After all this typing (and reading in your case :jester: ), hears some of the first pictures of the work so far, and of course that all important First Video Update, explaining all my plans! :declare:  Hope you enjoy and please tell me what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMkU-fmmLeY

post-20663-0-39774400-1416953082_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-06307100-1416953090_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-19659900-1416953101_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-47706400-1416953108_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-62990500-1416953115_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-60549100-1416953122_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-85048100-1416953129_thumb.jpg

There was me trying to get you into Parkside kits and you start kit basing locos! It looks great so far, no pressure

Though I would go one better! :jester: But by no means has this been or will be a walk in the park! Had a number of issues all ready and it's far more advanced than the two video updates so far  :paint: , most of the issues I have so far have happened when I started painting it! :jester: Melted the tender :O , so had to get another kit and will have to start again. Should all come together tough in the end. Fingers crossed...

A brilliant piece of "Cross Kitting", in nearly fifty years of modelling, I would never have thought of using the frames of a Diesel loco to produce a steam engine.

Thanks Mick! I never would of too, until seeing RJS1977 images! It certainly will be an interesting loco on the layout when complete (if I get that far :jester: ). More to come!

A brilliant piece of "Cross Kitting", in nearly fifty years of modelling, I would never have thought of using the frames of a Diesel loco to produce a steam engine.

There were a couple of representations of the Midland "Paget" locomotive on eBay recently, using the Lima shunter chassis.

To the OP - good job. Those 'Aberdares' are not modelled too often.

There were a couple of representations of the Midland "Paget" locomotive on eBay recently, using the Lima shunter chassis.

To the OP - good job. Those 'Aberdares' are not modelled too often.

Thanks Mark! Glad you like the project so far! Hmmm, would love to see some images of those Midland locos. Maybe a future project... :jester:

Thanks Mark! Glad you like the project so far! Hmmm, would love to see some images of those Midland locos. Maybe a future project... :jester:

You're in luck, Callum

My mistake - the builder used a HD chassis, not Lima, but the principle's the same :sungum:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361076539785?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope the link works...

You're in luck, Callum

My mistake - the builder used a HD chassis, not Lima, but the principle's the same :sungum:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361076539785?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope the link works...

Wow! That's some loco! Got my mind on a free lance loco after this project, if I get it complete!  :jester:

My second video update on the project; :locomotive:

The second update on the GWR 2600 Class Kit Bash Project. In this update the build is really starting to get underway, with number of major components, like the running plate and boiler starting to take shape. I even temporarily mount the frame and boiler on the chassis to give ruff representation of what the loco will look like when complete. More updates to follow!
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMkU-fmmLeY

post-20663-0-44710800-1417454769.png

Some pictures of what is hopefully to come!  I have assembled all of the complete components so far, to give a good representation of what the loco will look like when complete! :locomotive:

But... There always a but... Sadly a few days after taking these pictures there was a bit of a disaster.  :O  Whilst adding the main livery too the tender an issue with the aplication occurred, in my hast to get rid of the paint applied I used thinners, which resulted in the tender being well melted... :scared: So sadly the tender seen below is no longer around. This meant I had to go out and purchase another 'Truro' Kit just for the tender. :banghead: But I'm sure the other pieces will come in very hand for a future project. I now know not to use thinners as a paint remover on a plastic kit... :superstition:

Due to the amount of hours it took me to paint the Black Livery on it (around the frames and the top) I have tried to salvage as many piece from the original tender as possible, which in this case is the top (coal load) and the foot plate. I will of course paint up the one in the new kit too, to see which one comes out best. 

Anyway his the pictures of of what is hopefully to come!  :jester:  The next video update was filmed at this stage, so the tender issue is not mentioned (as it had not happend at the time of filming). Hope you enjoy this pictures and please do tell me what you think!  :paint:

post-20663-0-54577400-1417713085_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-22450600-1417713096_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-10577600-1417713125_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-48210900-1417713136_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-65854900-1417713149_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-72465300-1417713165_thumb.jpg

Some images of the damage sustained to the original tender. The rear, and two side pieces are the effected areas, with rough, melted plastic. The inside and footplate how ever, maybe still use able with a bit of a repaint.  :paint:

The side how ever will still have a use, being a proper test bed for the livery (second time around), and I won't have to worry if it goes wrong! :jester:  Pictures of the tests and the livery choice will soon follow, unless you manage to guess from what remains on the piece! :declare:

post-20663-0-64603800-1417812973_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-31736200-1417812981_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-68778000-1417812988_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-54770800-1417812994_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-85077800-1417813000_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-38279100-1417813008_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-55508500-1417813014_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-40644100-1417813020_thumb.jpg

Bit of judicious work with some sandpaper and that will "Buff out"

Thanks for the info. It's a bit hard to get in and around the details on the rear though.Picked up a new kit anyway, so hope to get started on the painting again very soon... 

Bit late now but potentially a useful bit of info for if it should happen again- I have often found that running some polystyrene cement (the sort that comes in a bottle with a brush, not the stuff in a tube) over the affected area will smooth out the surface finish again.  I've often done it myself to smooth out scuffs and uneven filler. 

Bit late now but potentially a useful bit of info for if it should happen again- I have often found that running some polystyrene cement (the sort that comes in a bottle with a brush, not the stuff in a tube) over the affected area will smooth out the surface finish again.  I've often done it myself to smooth out scuffs and uneven filler. 

Thanks James! Never knew that. Will have to give that a go next time, if the issue happens again (fingers crossed it doesn't) :jester: .

Latest video update;

The third update on the GWR 2600 Class Kit Bash Project. Lots has changed since the last update and engine is really starting to come together. Work includes the lowering of the boiler to a more realistic high, the creation of a new firebox and the assembly of the tender. More updates to follow!
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAu33tCh2Eg

post-20663-0-37468400-1418157345.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick video to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. There also a brief bit of information on the on going GWR 2600 Class Project, plus a few other things I have been up too lately. Hope you all enjoy and of course have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :locomotive: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0TKWA5FeCg

• 1 month later...

I have had a 3D printed one of these in mind for a while now using Bachmann 08 shunter wheels bought off ebay... yours will be finished significantly sooner I suspect and cost less.

:) hope you finish it.

I have had a 3D printed one of these in mind for a while now using Bachmann 08 shunter wheels bought off ebay... yours will be finished significantly sooner I suspect and cost less.

:) hope you finish it.

Thanks mate! Looking forward to seeing how your 3D Printed one trues out. I on the other hand have not done much to the model after the tender fail issue. But hope to get back working on the project very soon :paint:

Archived