Is it possible that John Isherwood, Ian Macdonald and Golden Arrow talk to each other to try and sort out a supply of all their bits and recommended parts for the parts they can't supply so those who wish to can buy the components to make the whole loco?

I know this could take some work, but I half suspect the work could prove useful and possibly even fruitful.

Phil

For myself, I don't foresee a joint marketing exercise.

All of the component parts are or will be available; surely it's not too much trouble to source them from the respective suppliers?

We are talking very small volume here - as with all my transfers, I print when I have an order, not before. I would anticipate that all the suppliers in question will, at best, hold stock for the immediate short-term, but some may well only order etchings, etc. when sufficient expressions of interest are received.

Sourcing these niche items will never be as simple as buying an RTR model.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have now received clearance to give some limited additional information concerning a new product under development, to assist in building a better GT3.

The product in question is a dedicated etched chassis kit; currently at the test etch stage.

This has been designed to be straightforward to build, but is NOT currently a commercial product.

It WILL have a correct scale wheelbase and coupling rods; something that none of the RTR options can offer.

If you wish to build an accurate GT3, a little more patience may be well worthwhile.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This sounds very interesting, i have been thinking about modelling this for some time.

I hope the chassis will cater for all gauges and offer compensation/springing/CSB since I am working in P4.

One idea that has recently appeared is to make the loco springs as a separate etch, forming a keeper plate and pickup assembly allowing the wheels to be assembled once only and dropped out if needed.

I look forward to further info on this,

martin

• 1 month later...

This sounds very interesting, i have been thinking about modelling this for some time.

I hope the chassis will cater for all gauges and offer compensation/springing/CSB since I am working in P4.

One idea that has recently appeared is to make the loco springs as a separate etch, forming a keeper plate and pickup assembly allowing the wheels to be assembled once only and dropped out if needed.

I look forward to further info on this,

martin

Just caught this... a month late! Good to hear that the GT3 chassis will be available soon, Ian! I am an EM modeller, so I note Martin's suggestions with interest.

There was a discussion in 2009 on RMweb about the chassis dimensions, and I understood the conclusion to be a coupled wheelbase of 7' + 7' 9, with driving wheels of 5' 9. This is almost spot on for a Grange, with driving wheels of 5' 8.

Ironically I finally picked up a Hornby Grange chassis on ebay this week, and today have read this thread!

John.

There was a discussion in 2009 on RMweb about the chassis dimensions, and I understood the conclusion to be a coupled wheelbase of 7' + 7' 9, with driving wheels of 5' 9. This is almost spot on for a Grange, with driving wheels of 5' 8.

Ironically I finally picked up a Hornby Grange chassis on ebay this week, and today have read this thread!

John.

post-2274-0-44916200-1433071770_thumb.jpg

I think that I referred to the GT3 / Manor relationship in the old thread; this overlay shows just how similar they are.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You did indeed John, and the drawing confirms the point well.

Compared to GW steamers, the coupling rods on GT3 are a lot beefier, along with the bosses around the crankpins. So something perhaps to be scratchbuilt - Clive Mortimore's post #13 above shows this clearly.

John.

Edit - I realise there are two old threads, and the one linked in #26 is the most useful, showing as it does the creation of a finished, and very lovely model.

Edited by John Tomlinson

You did indeed John, and the drawing confirms the point well.

Compared to GW steamers, the coupling rods on GT3 are a lot beefier, along with the bosses around the crankpins. So something perhaps to be scratchbuilt - Clive Mortimore's post #13 above shows this clearly.

John.

John,

The projected GT3 chassis kit will include the 'beefy' coupling rods.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Thought this may be of interest.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Michael and All

GT3 was designed to fail. Look at the company that built it.

They had some of the largest contracts with British Railways for new DIESEL locomotives. They built everything, the locomotives, the transmission and the engines, they were the only provider of new locomotives in the UK to do so.

The Transport Commission was bumping its gums about other forms of traction including GAS TURBINE. How do you make a gas turbine loco fail against a diesel-electric when the principal of a gas turbine driven generator driving traction motors would/could be superior and it could come from a competitor? Build it so it looks old fashioned like a steam engine, take away the quick turn round your double cabbed diesels give. The clever bit was pairing the turbine with a mechanical gear box. Offer your wonder beast to your customer for trials, which it is not successful in. Next time a traction engineer suggest a gas turbine powered loco, the accountant remembering the failure says "NO".

Despite DP2 being the best of the 3 trial 2500hp plus locos someone gave the go ahead to using the engine from one experiment with the electrics of another one along half the contract to keep BR workshops busy. Even if GT3 had been a success the last issue of work for railway workshops still might have won the day.

School report must have read something like this "English Electric has worked well but could have tried harder."

Hi Michael and All

GT3 was designed to fail. Look at the company that built it.

They had some of the largest contracts with British Railways for new DIESEL locomotives. They built everything, the locomotives, the transmission and the engines, they were the only provider of new locomotives in the UK to do so.

The Transport Commission was bumping its gums about other forms of traction including GAS TURBINE. How do you make a gas turbine loco fail against a diesel-electric when the principal of a gas turbine driven generator driving traction motors would/could be superior and it could come from a competitor? Build it so it looks old fashioned like a steam engine, take away the quick turn round your double cabbed diesels give. The clever bit was pairing the turbine with a mechanical gear box. Offer your wonder beast to your customer for trials, which it is not successful in. Next time a traction engineer suggest a gas turbine powered loco, the accountant remembering the failure says "NO".

Despite DP2 being the best of the 3 trial 2500hp plus locos someone gave the go ahead to using the engine from one experiment with the electrics of another one along half the contract to keep BR workshops busy. Even if GT3 had been a success the last issue of work for railway workshops still might have won the day.

School report must have read something like this "English Electric has worked well but could have tried harder."

Clive,

Is that assertion based on evidence? My understanding is that GT3 was particularly successful as far as it was allowed to prove itself.

The steam outline was, it is my understanding, because having built 999 steam locomotives but not wishing to have them around for their natural (dirty) life as such, thought was given to half-life rebuilding with a more user-friendly form of propulsion.

The experiment, quite apart from proving the principle to be exceedingly powerful, also demonstrated that the running gear of a modern steam locomotive could be reused in a more modern / efficient motive power unit.

All in all, a lost opportunity. Think how much investment could have been saved by avoiding multifarious classes of first generation diesels, many of dubious utility, if the BR standard classes had been used as they were built until their boilers wore out, and then converted to gas turbines for another revenue earning stint.

What price retaining a few turntables?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Is there any (very approximate!) notional date for this being available?

'Fraid not - I'm only relaying info' between the commissioner and the group.

I know a test build of the etched chassis is in progress, but I'm not in a position to divulge the name of the commissioner.

Sorry.

Regards,

john.

'Fraid not - I'm only relaying info' between the commissioner and the group.

I know a test build of the etched chassis is in progress, but I'm not in a position to divulge the name of the commissioner.

Sorry.

Regards,

john.

We're all awaiting news with baited breath!

• 3 months later...

Still holding my breath - any further news on the chassis development?

I confess to a certain embarrassment here !

I do know that recent unanticipated occurences, unconnected with this project, have distracted the principals involved.

I have forwarded your expressions of interest, in the hope that a marketable product can be offered soon.

Beyond that, I am unable to act further or provide more details, I'm afraid.

I apologise for having unintentionally raised expectations, which have not to date been fulfilled.

The one positive in all of this is that I have been prompted to produce the necessary transfers, which are selling well.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I am a recent purchaser of John's GT3 transfers and jolly good they are too and am a long way down the road of GT3 construction using the Hornby Black 5 chassis, life being too short to go the etched chassis route -after all I am old enough to have seen the beast crossing the "13 Arches" Leam Viaduct south of Rugby, which I just happen to have modelled -hence my interest.

Now here's the rub -that lovely etch of Ian Macdonald's - are you doing anymore Ian? or anyone have one?!!!!!

Trevor

post-17632-0-00712800-1443170783_thumb.jpg

I am a recent purchaser of John's GT3 transfers and jolly good they are too and am a long way down the road of GT3 construction using the Hornby Black 5 chassis, life being too short to go the etched chassis route -after all I am old enough to have seen the beast crossing the "13 Arches" Leam Viaduct south of Rugby, which I just happen to have modelled -hence my interest.

Now here's the rub -that lovely etch of Ian Macdonald's - are you doing anymore Ian? or anyone have one?!!!!!

Trevor

If you want to get a little more accurate, GT3 had the same wheelbase as a GWR 'Grange'.

post-2274-0-30439900-1443172238.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

Well this is the true nature of modelling- after we start something we can always find a better way and it's knowing when to stop getting better ideas and actually produce something so unless I can be convinced that my Black 5 chassis is a treasure worth a lot of money I'm carrying on! After all ageing eyesight is making 7mm look attractive so anyone fancy a GT3 kit in 0 gauge?

• RMweb Premium

Trevor

Hi Trevor

The etches are still available, pm me if you want some.

Ian

I confess to a certain embarrassment here !

I do know that recent unanticipated occurences, unconnected with this project, have distracted the principals involved.

I have forwarded your expressions of interest, in the hope that a marketable product can be offered soon.

Beyond that, I am unable to act further or provide more details, I'm afraid.

I apologise for having unintentionally raised expectations, which have not to date been fulfilled.

The one positive in all of this is that I have been prompted to produce the necessary transfers, which are selling well.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

I  was very happy to see the transfers are out, and will be ordering my own set soon... BUT like the others, eagerly awaiting the chassis kit when it comes out!  Add my voice to others in gently persuading the powers that be to make it happen soon!!

• 2 months later...

I joined the web site a few days back to find out info about the GT3 kit and to see if I could source the detailing parts for the GT3.  Inside a week I have purchased the kit, obtained a set of superb etches from Ian Macgregor (who was most helpful), a donor chassis and all the relevant decals/lining are on order.  This has proved to be a most useful web site, only sorry I did not join sooner.

• Like 2