Many thanks indeed, everybody, for your responses! 

The etched chassis kit is very exciting, John.  I'll hold fire until this becomes available.

Gordon

post-2274-0-55280800-1454578370_thumb.jpg

Well - proof it exists, at last !!

This is a partly completed build of the test etch, which has been considerably upgraded in anticipation of it's commercial release. Suffice to say that the final chassis will be much more comprehensive that the first version that I saw.

I understand that those who will be responsible for marketing this chassis are very enthusiastic about the project, and I think that it is fair to say that we are now much closer to being able to purchase it.

When it is available, I will be writing a build blog here of a model of GT3, utilising all of the available components from the various suppliers.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Looks superb the sooner the better

It's coming on !

post-2274-0-51025700-1455140293_thumb.jpeg

This is the test build of the chassis kit under a Golden Arrow Productions body kit. Look at those prototypically hefty, roller bearing coupling rods !

Once the kit is released - it will be announced in the model press and here - all of the necessary components should be available to 'Build a Better GT3' !

Not long now !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

Them coupling rods look great, got my GT3 on a rail road black five and im sorely tempted by this development now.

Also, when I did mine, a long while back I got the last etch of a batch from Ian which had everything I needed (and more) except the GT3 cabside plates, Ian did say it wasn't a complete etch and it was fine for me at the time, just wondering if the number plates would be on the chassis etch?

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692

Should they really be etched numberplates?

I remember going on one of our club trainspotting trips, we were on a coach parked outside Crewe South shed when one of our group saw his mate outside. The guy got on the coach for a chat; under his arm was a numberplate from GT3, which he carried quite easily so it wasn't heavy. Though I wasn't too close to him I heard a bit of the conversation, where he stated that it was "painted wood".

Stewart

Should they really be etched numberplates?

I remember going on one of our club trainspotting trips, we were on a coach parked outside Crewe South shed when one of our group saw his mate outside. The guy got on the coach for a chat; under his arm was a numberplate from GT3, which he carried quite easily so it wasn't heavy. Though I wasn't too close to him I heard a bit of the conversation, where he stated that it was "painted wood".

Stewart

That's odd - the photos of GT3 being scrapped in a private scrapyard show the numberplate still installed - on one side at least.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

John, the photographs you mention of the loco being scrapped are in Model Rail Magazine, issue 109, October 2007 on page 26.

I'm surprised our mutual friend hasn't got a bit grumpy with you, letting the cat out of the bag already  :jester:

Ian

John, the photographs you mention of the loco being scrapped are in Model Rail Magazine, issue 109, October 2007 on page 26.

I'm surprised our mutual friend hasn't got a bit grumpy with you, letting the cat out of the bag already  :jester:

Ian

Ian,

If you are referring to the kit originator - it was his (mischievous) idea.

Regards,

John.

Them coupling rods look great, got my GT3 on a rail road black five and im sorely tempted by this development now.

Also, when I did mine, a long while back I got the last etch of a batch from Ian which had everything I needed (and more) except the GT3 cabside plates, Ian did say it wasn't a complete etch and it was fine for me at the time, just wondering if the number plates would be on the chassis etch?

Cheers

James

I can't remember, frankly - but they will be provided in some form; plus my transfer sheet includes the number and works plates.

post-2274-0-84810900-1455269152_thumb.jpg

(PART SHEET)

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks like the cat is out of the bag anyway, the first part of the article about it will be in the April issue of Hornby Magazine, out on March 12th apparently, and the second part covering the chassis will be in the May issue. I've just been looking at my March issue and there is a little bit about what will be in the April mag near the back page showing the project.

Ian

I can't remember, frankly - but they will be provided in some form; plus my transfer sheet includes the number and works plates.

4BL0149_.JPG

(PART SHEET)

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Thanks John, ill have a ponder and think when/if i get the chassis. Mines all lined n lettered so just thr GT3 plates needed...

Cheers

James

Edited by jessy1692

• 3 weeks later...

Can we take it that this is the 'formal' commercial announcement of the chassis?

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

then go to the 'platform' section

post-2274-0-96607600-1457268244.jpg

Correct - and I understand that there will be in-depth coverage in the model press imminently; (see post #61).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stewart,

I understand that ordering will be direct from High Level; their site indicates availability from May / June.

Regards,

John.

I've reserved a chassis kit today - I'm number 6. Always been interested in this loco after seeing it going south through Preston one dark night.

Unfortunately the Hornby mag article says to use BR Class 5 wheels (6' 2"), think that should be Class 4 (5' 8"). 

Here's one somebody built earlier:

So - my challenge is to reproduce something of that turbine 'whine' in 4mm. scale, using purely mechanical components for DC operation.

I have a selection of miniature instrument fans that can be 'ganged' together, and will experiment with various venturi tubes on the output side !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

...or maybe a recording of a jet engine might pass?

Being of the Tony Wright persuasion, I don't do digital.

If the appropriate sound can't be produced by a cariacature of the prototype mechanics, I'll not bother. After all, none of my other motive power sounds like the real thing.

It's the challenge of playing around with ex-China bits-and-bobs, costing next to nothing on Ebay and AliExpress, that appeals.

If I get it right, the fans will cut in before the loco moves off, and will overrun after it stops.

Nothing ventured - nothing gained; (though it could all end as did my venture into the self-propelled Wickham trolley) !!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1