The New Forest Green Hudswell Clarke 0 Gauge Loco

81A Oldoak

The new Hudswell Clarke locomotives arrived in the UK on Wednesday 26th November and the first round of orders have been dispatched to retailers. The order for the re-run was placed on 26th August this year and the process included the production of decorated sample in the new livery. A big thank you to our designer and factory for getting the run ready in time for Christmas.

The etched brass fret contains a different of works, name and number plates. They are supplied unpainted, but the photo shows them painted in order to reveal the detail. Each loco also contains the steam toolkit with fire-irons, oil cans and the world famous Ixion bucket with working handle.  

Buy now at the same price as the original run, but please let's not have any of the ghastly "Black Friday" scenes we witnessed today.

post-13142-0-64885300-1417206944_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-82158600-1417206946_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-40697200-1417206949_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-67158700-1417206951_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-83454800-1417206953_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-22543600-1417206956_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-10129000-1417206959_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-80595800-1417206962_thumb.jpg

Looks good. A couple of questions, anyone know how to make a spark arrestor, and will it run through inch-deep static grass?  :) 

http://www.mandgn.co.uk/images/news/slideshows/28/2.jpg

https://chasewaterstuff.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wissington.jpg?w=800

It's quite a heavy little beast so I imagine it would shoulder its way through static grass without too many problems. Bachmann provide "scouring pad" style spark arrestors with some of their US On30 locos - you might be able to acquire one from someone who has fitted the optional balloon stack instead. Whether it would fit the Ixion loco remains to be seen.

Chaz

The new Hudswell Clarke locomotives arrived in the UK on Wednesday 26th November and the first round of orders have been dispatched to retailers. The order for the re-run was placed on 26th August this year and the process included the production of decorated sample in the new livery. A big thank you to our designer and factory for getting the run ready in time for Christmas.

The etched brass fret contains a different of works, name and number plates. They are supplied unpainted, but the photo shows them painted in order to reveal the detail. Each loco also contains the steam toolkit with fire-irons, oil cans and the world famous Ixion bucket with working handle.  

Buy now at the same price as the original run, but please let's not have any of the ghastly "Black Friday" scenes we witnessed today.

Very pretty Mr Klein. I wonder how many people have bought one of each colour?

ghastly "Black Friday" scenes?   It's seems that our culture now thrives on induced hysteria - quite nauseating.

Chaz

In response to Chaz's suggestion, I dug out the spark arrestor that Bachmann supplied with the 0n30 Forney which is designed to plug in the top of the chimney.

As it stands, the diameter of the plug section is too wide to fit the HC chimney, so I dug out my Unimat Classis tool and five minutes later, the spark arrestor fitted as shown in the photo.

Personally, I think that the rim is too deep. Sadly, whilst attempting to thin this down the b***dy thing went 'ping' and disappeared off into my study!! If I find all the bits (so far one out of three have materialized) I'll post another photo with a thinned down rim.

Cheers,

Andrew

post-11098-0-73651800-1417454186.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not seen one of these in the flesh but that does look very nice. At the price it's very tempting! And it would be good to have something to play with fairly soon. Once weathered it really does look the part. 

Not seen one of these in the flesh but that does look very nice. At the price it's very tempting! And it would be good to have something to play with fairly soon. Once weathered it really does look the part. 

Oscar Wilde said that he could resist everything except temptation.

Given mine its first run today, and it's like a little sewing machine. Delighted with the level of detail, not least the cab controls, etc. Next job, to add the various plates...

Given mine its first run today, and it's like a little sewing machine. Delighted with the level of detail, not least the cab controls, etc. Next job, to add the various plates...

Delighted to read that you are pleased with your new Hudswell Clarke. There are a number of subtle improvements to the new Forest Green version.

• 1 month later...

Delighted to read that you are pleased with your new Hudswell Clarke. There are a number of subtle improvements to the new Forest Green version.

Hi Chris,

Apologies for a question, at a time when I know you will be very busy, but can you give any more detail about the subtle improvements to this latest version of the HC loco?

Many thanks

The main changes are:

1) Better 3-link couplings, They are parallel whereas the originals were elliptical.

2) The buffer stocks are a different shape. Not necessarily an improvement, but they give variety.

3) Under the saddle-tank there is a new part to provide better support for the printed circuit board.

4) The chimney fixing is more robust,

Hope this helps.

Chris

The main changes are:

1) Better 3-link couplings, They are parallel whereas the originals were elliptical.

2) The buffer stocks are a different shape. Not necessarily an improvement, but they give variety.

3) Under the saddle-tank there is a new part to provide better support for the printed circuit board.

4) The chimney fixing is more robust,

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply it is very useful. I am just about to press the button and finally give in and order my HC you see... well unless tomorrow's(??) annoucement trumps it and then I will be torn about what to do!!

Many thanks,

David

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

They are fine on 42" radius curves and cope with 36" but they don't like kinks!

I don't know what radius an A5 point is.

Dava

Can anyone confirm whether the Hudswell Clarke will run OK through a relatively sharp radius point like an A5, please?

Thanks.

I think they will manage down to 36" radius.

I finally acquired my Hudswell Clarke as my first O gauge loco a few months and all I can say is that it is stunning! Glad to hear someone else has been tempted Captain ;)

PIcked up mine at T4U yesterday, not DCC fitted yet as the spare I had seems to be naff. Ran her on a few feet of track on DC and she runs well, really impressed with the model.

Goes suprisingly well with my Heljan Railfreight VAA :devil:

PIcked up mine at T4U yesterday, not DCC fitted yet as the spare I had seems to be naff. Ran her on a few feet of track on DC and she runs well, really impressed with the model.

Goes suprisingly well with my Heljan Railfreight VAA :devil:

Fantastic little locos aren't they!? Similarly, all mine has done to date is run up and down my meter of track but I hope to get going with a project in due course :)

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A request for help please - does anybody know where I would be able to obtain a set of Ixion Hudswell Clarke wheels please? Went to run my spare tonight (in view of conversion to MSLR J64) to find that it's decided to die on me :(

In order to test all possibilities I swapped the wheel sets with that from my red example, which works fine...so I am assuming the wheel set are the problem?

Not fussed about what colour they are, as they'll be repainted anyway.

Ta muchly in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Strange, what could be wrong with the wheels? Eg is there a short across the insulation on any of them?

Dava

Turns out I was a numpty and put one set of wheels back in the wrong way round after repainting them...big thanks to Tim who sorted it out for me!

Guest Isambarduk

"I was a numpty and put one set of wheels back in the wrong way round"

Is there a wrong way round?  The wheels are all insulated from their axles with a plastic bush at the hub.  I know this because there cannot be many people who have been so close a single set of wheels from an Ixion Hudswell Clarke as I machined out the balance weights on the centre wheels and fitted replacement crankpins to suit a different style of rods (amongst other things!) ... but perhaps the Forest Green version is different, doesn't sound likely, though.

GCR278Crankpin.jpg

Captioned pictures describing how I did this at www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm

David

"I was a numpty and put one set of wheels back in the wrong way round"

Is there a wrong way round?  The wheels are all insulated from their axles with a plastic bush at the hub.  I know this because there cannot be many people who have been so close a single set of wheels from an Ixion Hudswell Clarke as I machined out the balance weights on the centre wheels and fitted replacement crankpins to suit a different style of rods (amongst other things!) ... but perhaps the Forest Green version is different, doesn't sound likely, though.

GCR278Crankpin.jpg

Captioned pictures describing how I did this at www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm

David

Neil's loco is fitted with one insulated wheel and one uninsulated wheel on each axle,so if you get one the wrong way round,you will have created a short circuit through the chassis. 

Tim

Guest Isambarduk

Thanks.  That's very odd. I wonder why the design was changed; it seems a bit strange to have the two sides different?   It also makes the chassis live to one side so are there pick-ups on both sides, or just the one?  David

Thanks.  That's very odd. I wonder why the design was changed; it seems a bit strange to have the two sides different?   It also makes the chassis live to one side so are there pick-ups on both sides, or just the one?  David

There are pick-ups on both sides of the chassis.

Tim

Archived