New Hornby Collectors Club?

southernelectric

• RMweb Gold

That WD Jinty seems to be a very good choice for a club model in being a quirky and oddball prototype that probably would have little appeal as a general release (it wouldn't be much use on a wartime French layout as it is the wrong scale) but is attractive as a bit of a curio.

I've done a bit of research, and it seems that the Jinty is modelled in the condition in which it was returned to the UK in 1945/46. The stencilled writing on the tanks is a movement order for transfer back to the French coast from wherever it was left at the end of the war (Does A.L.A. stand for Allied Landing Area?), while the chalked on LMS number would have been applied while the engine was briefly stored pending overhaul at Crewe.

Guest spet0114

I've done a bit of research, and it seems that the Jinty is modelled in the condition in which it was returned to the UK in 1945/46. The stencilled writing on the tanks is a movement order for transfer back to the French coast from wherever it was left at the end of the war (Does A.L.A. stand for Allied Landing Area?), while the chalked on LMS number would have been applied while the engine was briefly stored pending overhaul at Crewe.

So, in short, a model of a loco that would never have turned a wheel under its own power when in that condition?

• RMweb Gold

Not unlike that black NRM 'Scotsman' they did a couple of years ago. ;)

Which can be made to look much better and reasonably authentic without deflectors and the replacement of its double chimney with a proper single example from Brassmasters,finished off with suitable wartime weathering.

Guest spet0114

Not unlike that black NRM 'Scotsman' they did a couple of years ago. ;)

True, but at least the black Scotsman was intended to go mainline.... Edited by spet0114

Just a follow-up on my earlier post to this thread, I received an email this morning welcoming me to the "New Hornby Club".  Included was a club discount code valid until the end of March.  As I suggested previously, I think people with memberships spanning the 2014/15 calendar years will just be shifted across to the new club to see out the term of their 12 months.

I'm hopeful of seeing at least the first issue of the new mag before my membership expires to see what it's about.  Although I'm unlikely to renew, well, you never know ...

R.E.

Edited by RecordEdit

I've just renewed this morning, over the phone. My membership expired in November. I think I may have missed out on the last Collectors Club Magazine, the lady said she would try and get a copy sent out (I have them all from Issue 1). If I get an email, as RecordEdit (post 65), with a discount code, I will pre-order Manston. 

• RMweb Gold

I've just renewed this morning, over the phone. My membership expired in November. I think I may have missed out on the last Collectors Club Magazine, the lady said she would try and get a copy sent out (I have them all from Issue 1). If I get an email, as RecordEdit (post 65), with a discount code, I will pre-order Manston. 

Coincidentally,I have just now pre ordered "Manston ".Hopefully ( !! ),I will apply my discount code when it becomes available.

Coincidentally,I have just now pre ordered "Manston ".Hopefully ( !! ),I will apply my discount code when it becomes available.

Good luck with that one Ian, let's hope it's not manufactured by Sanda-Kan like the recent BR Bittern, I suspect this model may have been old stock thrown together !!!!

• 1 month later...

Note to Hornby - customer waiting to renew with the Digital club membership. Any timescale please?

Also looking to order at least one of the club loco's.

My membership ran out in January this year, like you ruggedpeak I have been waiting patiently for the download-only option to be made available. I was, however, able to login to the Hornby site in January and use a Collectors Club voucher code that had been emailed to me and pre-order Manston although I had previously expressed an interest in the model before the option to pre-order on the Hornby website was available.

But I have to ask, what on Earth are Hornby playing at with the new clubs? The original information was somewhat misleading, to say the least (implying a single club for the Hornby Hobbies "brand" when it's not although they are linked, i.e. same membership number for each one you pay to join except Scalecxtric which is free) and the download option for the Hornby Collectors Club is still not available!

I was told in a phone call to the Collectors Club late February that the download-only option would be available from Monday 2nd March. I emailed them over a week ago to get an update and still no response. I get the feeling that the setting up of the new clubs have been rushed through and chaos reigns supreme at Hornby HQ at the moment. 

Taking the various Hornby clubs in-house to manage is all well and good but Hornby needs to communicate better with customers and respond to emails in a timely fashion far better than it is doing at present IME. I still have two open cases with Hornby Customer Care with no response from them for several months!

• RMweb Gold

I've just joined this club, and recirved absolutely nothing at all... Not even an email.

Then I contacted them, to ask if that's right... And heard nothing.

Then I logged into my account to find it had been locked out...

Anyone else had this ?, my credit card got charged though.

Well it would appear something has gone wrong as they paid for back cover advertising for the Club on at least one magazine for 2 consecutive months.

At the risk of being negative :nono: I'd be asking my credit card company for a chargeback. No point speculating what has happened (have a few good guesses though!) but this is poor.

My renewal date came and went and not a peep. Which is a shame. This is where Mr Southworth or someone needs to put their head above the parapet and provide some sort of update. Perhaps they've just decided to focus on shifting product as there are some good new models coming through? If so please communicate.

Just today I received a reply from the new club (a week after asking my question) to confirm that as a prior member, I am enrolled in the new club through my existing membership renewal date (which happens  to be November).

I am pleased to hear that Hornby are not attempting to force existing members to re-enroll in the new club, before a prior membership expires, and nor do they have a single calendar-year enrollment period. I was also pleased that they answered my email, though they did so less promptly than other clubs.

I will also note (just in case it creates any confusion) that their database for email addresses connected to their forum is apparently completely different from that used for their club.

Clearly it is taking them some time to get this off the ground after moving from an out-sourced business model to an in-house business model. I don't see this as cause for alarm or consumer complaints.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

At the end of February my son received an email from Hornby with the March discount code offering the usual 10% discount for website purchases.

The email also included details of the new dedicated helpline and email address for the Club, which are pasted below in case they are useful.

For more information please call our dedicated club helpline on 01843 233512 or email us at  newclubs@Hornby.com

• RMweb Gold

I made an attempt by both phone and e mail yesterday to make contact.Thus far,both unsuccessful.We live eternally in hope.All I want is advice on how to apply it to an existing order for "Manston". Never mind,only 18 days to go for the discount.......and counting....

Hornby takes as much as 2 weeks, but they will likely give you your discount via a credit of some sort to your credit card, if you were a member at the time of the order.  Usually, I can rely on their reply; it just takes time.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby takes as much as 2 weeks, but they will likely give you your discount via a credit of some sort to your credit card, if you were a member at the time of the order.  Usually, I can rely on their reply; it just takes time.

Why ? Sorry,but we are too patient.Ask yourself,when a client/customer pays for a service,is it sound business practice to keep them in limbo to this extent ? I think not.

Why ? Sorry,but we are too patient.Ask yourself,when a client/customer pays for a service,is it sound business practice to keep them in limbo to this extent ? I think not.

I could not possibly disagree, but absent "prompt attention", "predictable attention" is second best.  In view of the enormous difficulties that I have buying from UK vendors of UK model railway stuff, Hornby is slow but reliable.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The digital version has now been available for a week or two and was going to sig up but seems little point at present if none of the models are available (not the ones I am after anyhoo) and presumably no sign of mags?

Curious about exclusive info etc with launch of Engine Shed blog.

Have any existing members had any mags etc since January?

I was recently e mailed in answer to my query .."Where is my discount voucher etc ?" ..by 24th April.No mag & voucher as yet.

Separating the '10% discount' from the '£20 voucher' as they are two distinctly different features, the 10% discount feature is implemented at Hornby.com.

If you log in to the website as a member of the club, all prices have the 10% discount automatically computed as you navigate the website.

I don't know if I will ever take advantage of this, but it is well executed in the website.

• RMweb Gold

Separating the '10% discount' from the '£20 voucher' as they are two distinctly different features, the 10% discount feature is implemented at Hornby.com.

If you log in to the website as a member of the club, all prices have the 10% discount automatically computed as you navigate the website.

I don't know if I will ever take advantage of this, but it is well executed in the website.

No,I did mean the £20 voucher.I am of course aware of the automatic discount application

Copied from Hornby forum today:

Dear Sir /  Madam

Thank you for your email, we are currently experiencing high call and email volumes and we do appreciate your patience and understanding.

If your email relates to the delivery of your new club membership pack we have received confirmation that the pack will be dispatched on Friday 24th April and will be with you next week, if you have not received this by Wednesday 6th May please let us know, the delivery agent Royal mail.

The Spring Magazine will be with you in the next couple of weeks and then further magazines will be end of June and end of September.

If your query relates to another matter we will reply shortly.

Kind regards

Hornby Hobbies Club.