Finescale Review No 2

Sparta-rb

No's 1&2 are so good, can the standard be maintained? I hope (and knowing who the management are, expect) so, and if it is, we're all in for a good read for many issues to come!

Phil

No's 1&2 are so good, can the standard be maintained? I hope (and knowing who the management are, expect) so, and if it is, we're all in for a good read for many issues to come!

Phil

Let's hope mine arrives soon then, otherwise I'll be getting worried.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Let's hope mine arrives soon then, otherwise I'll be getting worried.

Dave

You are not the only one still waiting, mine hasn't arrived yet either. Perhaps it's something to do with being near the end of the alphabet

:dontknow:

Arrived two days ago, just now reading it. Excellent issue. I love the crossing gate mechanism.

Glad you liked it.

I posted a video of the mechanism on YouTube which gives an idea of how well it runs.

The layout with the crossing extension boards will be at Stowmarket, Scaleforum and Farnham shows in 2015.

We'll also be at Marlow in January, with the original shorter arrangement.

Nigel (one of the Coldfair Green team).

You are not the only one still waiting, mine hasn't arrived yet either. Perhaps it's something to do with being near the end of the alphabet

In my case there's a good excuse, someone stuck an ocean in the way of the postie :dontknow:

Cheers,

David

I think the other thing slightly getting in the way is the Christmas consumer-fest! All subscriber issues have gone out now (except those who signed up after the second issue went to print - they will go out today) and, with the possible exception of the furthest flung corners of the planet, should be dropping on mats from now over the holiday period. We weren't exempt from the seasonal postal chaos, as a disk of crucial stuff went missing in the post just in time for me to go down with 'flu, which slowed things down a bit further. As time goes on, we will try to bring the print/distribution process a little further ahead of Christmas to avoid these stresses, but getting the content quality will always be the priority.

Anyway, you interest, support and feedback is greatly appreciated.

From Roy, Tim and me, have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy, fulfilling new year.

Regards

Bob Barlow 

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see the note about issue 2 being sent today for new subscribers, having bought issue 1 on it's own, I subscribed once issue 2 was out. I've dropped two other magazines to be replaced by F.R.

• RMweb Gold

Glad you liked it.

I posted a video of the mechanism on YouTube which gives an idea of how well it runs.

The layout with the crossing extension boards will be at Stowmarket, Scaleforum and Farnham shows in 2015.

We'll also be at Marlow in January, with the original shorter arrangement.

Nigel (one of the Coldfair Green team).

Caution.

:offtopic:

Alert.

Why is the crossing mechanism, superb as it is, only for a Scalefour layout?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent issue. This excitement and excellent practical content is what it must of been like in the early days of MRJ, and is certainly the memory I have of Rice era Morill, and the short lived RailModel Digest. Ahead of its time in many ways

It is indeed an excellent issue - as witnessed by the fact that I am really enjoying going back and re-reading it!

Quite by coincidence, a fortnight ago I won a bundle of 20 or so MORILLs  on Ebay, and have been struck (in a very positive way) by the similarities with FRMR (although that's not quite as snappy an acronym - perhaps it should be FIRMOR, using the same principle as MORILL.  I noticed that MORILL had a series of "An Introduction to Soldering" articles spread over 7 issues - I sometimes think that the "mainstream" model railway press these days worries that it can't hold our attention for 7 pages...

Sorry - rambled a bit there.  Please keep up the good work and I'm already looking forward to FIRMOR 3 (although I promise I'm not going to start a thread about it yet).

Best Regards,

ZG.

PS: In retrospect, perhaps it should just be "FR" for Finescale Review, given the title that Mr. Barlow has given this thread.

I wonder if I have yours?

Not one FRMR but two came through my letterbox Saturday last. I have tried ringing a few times to see if they want the extra copy returning but keep getting the answer phone. Christmas I suppose...

Porcy

• RMweb Gold

Read and reread the weathering article on the Brassworks Drewry diesel loco - inspirational. But I keep looking at the pics of the model and prototype and wonder if on any examples the chequerplate footplate really extended down into the valances?

You can tell it's a quiet day working from home... 

"The Diesel Shunter - A Pictorial Record" by Colin Marsden (OPC 1981) - plate 68 shows 11111 on 25 April 1958 with definite pattern along the edge of the valance. It's finer than on the the Brassworks model, but it does seem to be there.

Hope that's what you meant - and that helps.

Best Regards,

ZG.

PS: Just noticed - you can see much the same effect on D2215 on page 71 of FIRMOR 2 - there's definite "texture" along the edge of the valance.

You can tell it's a quiet day working from home... 

"The Diesel Shunter - A Pictorial Record" by Colin Marsden (OPC 1981) - plate 68 shows 11111 on 25 April 1958 with definite pattern along the edge of the valance. It's finer than on the the Brassworks model, but it does seem to be there.

Hope that's what you meant - and that helps.

Best Regards,

ZG.

PS: Just noticed - you can see much the same effect on D2215 on page 71 of FIRMOR 2 - there's definite "texture" along the edge of the valance.

Thanks for that - goes to prove the old maxim of securing photos of the example you wish to represent. I notice there are other variations, steps, etc.,

Rambling or not Zero, you hit a couple of nails on the head with regard to the content of Finescale Review (which, incidentally, is the short-form name we decided upon after years of fighting our way around the mouthful that is our other title, Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review. So the even shorter version we use in-house is FSR). Anyway, although we have not taken inspiration from Rail Model Digest or Morill - both of which came out during a period in which I had my head down concentrating on the day job and was effectively away from the hobby - I take the same view as I did during my 14 years at MRJ and share Iain Rice's view that intelligent adult modellers who like hands-on modelling are perfectly happy to read six or more pages on building a single wagon kit if the techniques and results add something to their modelling knowledge. We're the types who generally tend to want to know how to master tricky soldering challenges, or have discussions about whether or not the chequerplate on a Drewry extended down the valances. We're temperamentally more interested in that stuff, I suggest, than we are with the latest RTR releases or articles on how to plant a not very convincing plastic tree.

Porcy, I don't know how you ended up with two copies, but it has been completely pre-Christmas barmy here - and that's one of the reasons the phone is not always manned. Although I am blessed with remote high-quality editorial and production help, the centre of operations is just me. Apart from the occasional exploitation of child labour (my daughters), there are no elves, runners, clip-board carriers or secretaries, more's the pity - it's just me. I do, however, always phone back when messages are left.

Finally for the moment, I can scarcely believe that I can report the second printing of FSR No 1 has run out! More are being printed straight after Christmas, so any orders involving issue 1 will be held until they come in.

The missus has just come in and asked when I'm going to pick up the turkey. I bet that never happens to Rupert Murdoch. Coming dear......

Bob B         

Read and reread the weathering article on the Brassworks Drewry diesel loco - inspirational. But I keep looking at the pics of the model and prototype and wonder if on any examples the chequerplate footplate really extended down into the valances?

Pedant Mode on:

Isn't the correct name Durbar Plate? Chequerplate is a different pattern.

Pedant Mode off:

Here's another pic showing the texture continued onto the vertical.

2983080423_23e204ce9e_b.jpg028-12-Carlisle-2-8-67-D2253 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

HTH

Porcy

Ps my main point in posting is to thank Bob Barlow for contacting me to sort out my double delivery. Perfect service.

It is Durbar but you'll find the terms Durbar, Chequer(ed) and Diamond plate used pretty much interchangeably these days. The Durbar pattern of raised lozenges arranged at right angles to each other, being pretty much the standard today. Try searching for Chequer or Diamond plate and you'll get Durbar.

Archived