Finescale Review No 2

Sparta-rb

Pedant Mode on:

Isn't the correct name Durbar Plate? Chequerplate is a different pattern.

Pedant Mode off:

I always thought that chequerplate had recessed-centre diamonds and durbar was an aluminium plate with raised 'notches' in a diamond pattern. Whichever, it does seem that the Brassworks side valances on the Drewry are far too prominent when looking at the prototype pics. A thin shim soldered over might cure it enough but far from easy on a painted model.

Gosh, doesn't one magazine spark a lot of deep thinking and comment - shows that Bob Barlow is right in that we are the thinking bunch and he's got the market pitch just right. Soon be more pages on this topic than the next issue of MRJ!

• RMweb Premium

Read and reread the weathering article on the Brassworks Drewry diesel loco - inspirational. But I keep looking at the pics of the model and prototype and wonder if on any examples the chequerplate footplate really extended down into the valances?

As I am currently trying to improve a Farish N gauge version and the article is thus very useful, as far as I can tell, using British Rail Fleet Survey No 7 Diesel Shunters by Brian Haresnape (Ian Allan 1984 ISBN 0 7110 1449 3 ), all the various versions of both the 03 and 04's had chequerplate footplates extending down the sides. Some shots show it quite clearly defined, and looking nearly as big and prominent as on the model. Of more concern for me, attempting to replace the cast ones on the Farish model, are the rather over-sized looking front steps, which seem to be about 50% too long.

Izzy

Sorry, I wasn't aware that this magazine existed. I don't see a contact for submissions on the website.

industry-turnout-bare-over.jpg

Should I assume the article on "inset track" didn't mention the exact scale inset track parts already available. And how would I notify you of it, if it didn't?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if I have yours?

Not one FRMR but two came through my letterbox Saturday last. I have tried ringing a few times to see if they want the extra copy returning but keep getting the answer phone. Christmas I suppose...

Porcy

I emailed Bob yesterday with regard to my subscription and got a reply by the time I got back from the pub.

• RMweb Premium

Another excellent issue. 

One suggestion/question. Drawings of prototypes seem to have disappeared from the quality modelling press in recent years. As Roy Link is a demon with a CAD program, is there any hope that FMR may in the future contain drawings?

Or don't modellers want them these days?

Another excellent issue. 

One suggestion/question. Drawings of prototypes seem to have disappeared from the quality modelling press in recent years. As Roy Link is a demon with a CAD program, is there any hope that FMR may in the future contain drawings?

Or don't modellers want them these days?

Well I'd be happy to see drawings included.

Prototype drawings appear in Narrow Gauge & Industrial etc., so the printers are up to the job. I suppose the key thing will be an article that requires a drawing for explanation/illustration so the wait probably shouldn't be too long.

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if I have yours?

Not one FRMR but two came through my letterbox Saturday last. I have tried ringing a few times to see if they want the extra copy returning but keep getting the answer phone. Christmas I suppose...

Porcy

No you haven't, but you might have someone else's. Mine arrived this afternoon.

I've .never tried supergluing etched brass: quite apart from the big health & safety issue (I gather that if you heat cyanoacrylate it gives off - cyanide) I'd gathered it was a crude bodge and far inferior to soldering. I've only made a few tentative efforts with brass but strictly soldered.(I use cyano enough on plastic models)

Having tried to use them i wouldn't be recommending them. There does appear to be a problem of alignment with the parts we had. I believe the chap who purchased them sent some photos but I don't thin he got a response.

If you are referring to the inset track in the previous post, then there may be a communications failure. AFAIK,  haven't received a problem report from anyone. All parts are guaranteed to work as claimed, so if there is a problem, I always want to hear of it so I can fix it regardless, and of course give a full refund if appropriate.

You or your colleague can contact me with details by PM here, if email is not getting through for any reason .

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Sadly despite the positive response to previous feedback, issue 2 came out in paper envelopes and mine is therefore rain damaged. When you pay £5.50 for a premium magazine it's not great to have to peel the pages apart where they have been rain-welded together.

I'm afraid I won't be buying again until I hear for definite that plastic mailing sleeves are being used

Sadly despite the positive response to previous feedback, issue 2 came out in paper envelopes and mine is therefore rain damaged.

Strange. I received two copies,  (one by accident and very quickly sorted via RM web) and both came in sealed plastic mailers. Not dog proof but certainly waterproof.

Porcy

Are you buying single issues or on a subscription - I believe subscribers get plastic mailers.

I am a subscriber to Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review and that comes in a plastic mailer, but the 2nd issue of Finescale Railway Modelling Review came in an envelope as I only ordered the issue once it was published. A surplus of Christmas funds will now cover the cost of a subscription from issue 3!

• RMweb Premium

I subscribed from issue 2, sadly it arrived in a paper envelope, and due to last nights storm our letter box was wet. issue two is currently in front of the fire drying out luckily its just the back two or three pages in one corner that's wet.

Hi everyone

Just to be clear, all subscription copies go in plastic mailers which are packed and mailed as they come off the press. Only those which are bought singly (or are booked too late to go on the subscribers' list when they have gone to the printer) when they are posted from here, where I have no facility to individually pack copies in plastic.

I'll be PM-ing those copies have been hit by the weather, but rest assured that all subscription - bar those mentioned above - go in polybags.

Regards

Bob Barlow

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone

Just to be clear, all subscription copies go in plastic mailers which are packed and mailed as they come off the press. Only those which are bought singly (or are booked too late to go on the subscribers' list when they have gone to the printer) when they are posted from here, where I have no facility to individually pack copies in plastic.

I'll be PM-ing those copies have been hit by the weather, but rest assured that all subscription - bar those mentioned above - go in polybags.

Regards

Bob Barlow

Thank you for PMing me with your offer of replacement.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

Regards

Bob Barlow

thanks Bob from me also for the PM offering a replacement. It's currently on a radiator and I will reply to your PM when I see the outcome of the recovery attempt.

Drewry foorplates, firsts up D2229;

post-6749-0-73042400-1420035179_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-88044400-1420035034_thumb.jpg

D2324;

post-6749-0-92819100-1420035047_thumb.jpg

post-6749-0-88732200-1420035057_thumb.jpg

Note that these are in preservation after a career in industry, so the footplate may have been replaced at some stage.

When looking at Drewrys (and 03s) note that the front section of coupling rod (between the first and middle wheelsets) is quite a bit smaller in section than the other rods, and that the front bufferbeam is thicker than the rear 'beam (for balance reasons). Something few notice...

Archived