SIDI FONTANA MOROCCO 1916 scale 1/72

franckcombe

titre.jpg

Hi,

I will start a new layout after the woolacombe bay and the nearly finished vestvagoy.

At an exhibition, a friend offered me these postcards

Meyer-photo1.jpg

Meyer-photo2.jpg

I wanted to do a layout based on these photos but at 1/13 scale it was not possible. So I choose to do that at 1/72 scale because at this scale there are french military figures and arabs too.

At Morocco in 1916, the french developed narrow gauge railways of 60 cm for civilian and military used. 60 cm at 1/72 scale is more of less 9mm, so I could used too the 009 material.

The layout will be an oval of 120 cm by  47 cm with an hidden part behind to finish the oval

The layout will look like more or less to that.

Preacutesentation1.jpg

• Like 14

• 5 months later...

Bonjour/salaam malaikum,

Wow! A Moroccan layout, brilliant!

I spent a fairly large part of my childhood there as my parents would spend the winter there every year from 1971 through to 1983.

Is the layout to be set anywhere in particular, please?

I'll watch with interest,

Salute/salema,

John E.

• Like 2

Bonjour/salaam malaikum,

Wow! A Moroccan layout, brilliant!

I spent a fairly large part of my childhood there as my parents would spend the winter there every year from 1971 through to 1983.

Is the layout to be set anywhere in particular, please?

I'll watch with interest,

Salute/salema,

John E.

malaikum salaam,

It's a fictional city but I will used true locomotives and rolling stock of 1917 based on post card and historical information, with camel, donkey, market, music, all the folks of Morocco. I spent regular holidays in Morocco and Tunisia. I took many pictures of palm tree, I took dimension, sample of bark, ...  in brief even if the city is fictional, it must look real.

• Like 5

I can understand why you avoided 1/13 ;) looking forward to the results.

It is not really a choice. Unfortunately our club is closing. So I have to do train at home in an apartment, so I have to downsizing. Anyway I could not do this layout at 1/13 scale.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have done some progress with figures, trees (more than 140) and buildings.

My friend Jean-Pierre draw a rolling specificly for this layout. We hanve now to prind it. We are going to print it one at Sculptéo, one at  shapeaway in translucid ultra frost detail and one at immaterialize in order to compare the various quality of suppliers

1455472724900.png

1455472892349.png

• Like 6

Mallet with tender?

I only see a Kitson-Meyer.

It is a double engine tank loco.

Keith

Have a look here:

http://voie60vapeurvive.pagesperso-orange.fr/Real_Mallet1_ANG.html

There were about 30 0660 mallets supplied to Morocco. One ended up at pithiviers rebuilt as an ugly tank loco which didn't work well, 8 went to Benin where they lasted to 1948 and I assume the rest were scrapped.

The kitson Meyers came after the mallets, I think there were 8 or 9 of them?

At one point there was 1700km of 60cm gauge in Morocco. Would love to see a good book on the subject.

Hi,

I will use on my layout only decauville steam loco 040, 060, draisine, petrol loco schneider and  perhaps a baldwin also if Bachmann edits it. I have a sharp curve of a radius of 23 cm so a mallet loco is unbelievable with a radius of 40 cm .

The trunks are in plastic. To recreate it, I put dot of PVA glue on the trunk and I put sparkles of dry basil but you can use any aromatic herbs than you can find in shop according the color, the shape and the scale you want. After I have to paint in the right color.

"At one point there was 1700km of 60cm gauge in Morocco. Would love to see a good book on the subject." To my knowledge, there is no book on this subject.

• Like 1

Back commented '

Would love to see a good book on the sub

I think once Frank has got it finished, Voie Libre will probably produce something. Seem to remember a short article a while back about the Mallets.

Given tight radius of curves .short locos make more sense. Just is that the Mallet is one of the locos I am working on for 3D printing. It is interesting to see what is common to smaller locos. Given that the loco is classified as a 16 ton, it is a good cert that it is in effect 2 8ton Decauville locos. A slightly wider boiler, the cab is also slightly wider, but the windows in cab front are in exact same position as the 8 ton, suggesting standard parts. The cab is very roomy, and there seem to be a good crowd in cab in some photos!

• Like 1

Back commented '

I think once Frank has got it finished, Voie Libre will probably produce something. Seem to remember a short article a while back about the Mallets.

Given tight radius of curves .short locos make more sense. Just is that the Mallet is one of the locos I am working on for 3D printing. It is interesting to see what is common to smaller locos. Given that the loco is classified as a 16 ton, it is a good cert that it is in effect 2 8ton Decauville locos. A slightly wider boiler, the cab is also slightly wider, but the windows in cab front are in exact same position as the 8 ton, suggesting standard parts. The cab is very roomy, and there seem to be a good crowd in cab in some photos!

Hi,

For the mallet, which will be the loco for the chassis ? If found an us loco from Bachmann with a radius of 43 cm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do some progress on my layout.

I finish the building with the first coat of primer. The building will look like the building of the backdrops with trace of soil.

I paint the soil before adding the sand, the grass, cactus and palm tree of course...

I cast and paint the stones.

I am happy with the result wich look like what I have in my mind.

I have now to
IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

• Like 6