SIDI FONTANA MOROCCO 1916 scale 1/72

franckcombe

Hi,

I will use on my layout only decauville steam loco 040, 060, draisine, petrol loco schneider and  perhaps a baldwin also if Bachmann edits it. I have a sharp curve of a radius of 23 cm so a mallet loco is unbelievable with a radius of 40 cm .

The trunks are in plastic. To recreate it, I put dot of PVA glue on the trunk and I put sparkles of dry basil but you can use any aromatic herbs than you can find in shop according the color, the shape and the scale you want. After I have to paint in the right color.

"At one point there was 1700km of 60cm gauge in Morocco. Would love to see a good book on the subject." To my knowledge, there is no book on this subject.

Lartilleux dedicated one of his volumes of 'Geographie Des Chemins de Fer Français' to the various French-operated railways of North Africa, I believe.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have done a long  pause because I'm doing in parallel an us ho layout.

I work hard to finish 135 trees for the oasis.

I bought cheap tree from ebay china and I modified the truck and the palm. Then I paint with humbrol enamel and I use weathering powder.

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_5900.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

IMG_5893.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

looking good,

my only question is about the track on the bridge.

would it have been sleepered on solid base, or would the rail have been on longitudinal beams, on an open framework?

Hi Simon,

This bridge is no prototypical one so I could not answer  :scratchhead:

I can understand that. Looking ar some British military bridges, they are wooden supports, with iron girders lengthways, and then sleepers on top of this, very smilar to many light weight USA railway bridges. Would be interesting to find out what normal practice was for French military.

I found this website on the French 60cm gauge in Morocco. Some interesting pictures of bridges.
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Narrow_gauge_railways_in_former_French_Morocco

I suspect many bridges were lightweight girders on supports and probably then sleepered, USA style. The concrete(?) supports have lasted longer than the railways, so maybe a bit overbuild, then if they were meant to cope with potential of being blown up then it makes sense.
The picture of what looks like a concrete arched bridge is interesting, typical in some ways of later French builds, maybe 1920s. As it has been converted to a road, can't see what the track was like.

http://voie60vapeurvive.pagesperso-orange.fr/Doc_CFM1_ANG.html

more photos here.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I finish the layout the 11 th of November in memory of those who fight an died for us and our liberty.

I add the brushes, trees and people. Sorry there is no foreign legion but french army.

IMG_7206.jpg

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7208.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

Edited by franckcombe
  • Like 13

Bravo!

Fresh, original, and beautifully and skilfully executed.

It has certainly lived up to its early promise.

I believe that the gentleman standing in front of the railway hut has German cousins and one in Norfolk; very nice work on the figures, which are just enough to bring the scene alive without overcrowding.

post-25673-0-80560300-1479222693_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Super work, Franck - very atmospheric!  I built one of the Moroccan 0-6-6-0s for my French 009/H0e layout St-Etienne-en-Caux, using the Bachmann Spectrum USRA mallet.

Where did you get the station master from, by the way - at least, I mean the man by the station building wearing the sun helmet?

Charlie Insley

• Like 1

Super work, Franck - very atmospheric!  I built one of the Moroccan 0-6-6-0s for my French 009/H0e layout St-Etienne-en-Caux, using the Bachmann Spectrum USRA mallet.

Where did you get the station master from, by the way - at least, I mean the man by the station building wearing the sun helmet?

Charlie Insley

The man is  a german figures from preiser (lufwaffe personel) and I remove the head to replace it by the head of British Camel Corps (hat brand) to have a colonial look !

I lived in the past in normandy in the pays de caux area 

Charlie Insley

Full details of the set are here (post #1138): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-46

And a conversion of the figure concerned (post #1151): http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-47

HaT Industrie's Camel Corps are best viewed here: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1256

• 7 months later...

Since few days, I work on the layout. 

This is the top view of the layout.

35900752265_667967a78f_b.jpgIMG_8115 by franck combe, sur Flickr

This is the hidden part of the layout. I want to thank my friend Claude Deschamps for the electronic part.

35769193531_c2a7c40e94_b.jpgIMG_8116 by franck combe, sur Flickr

This is the general overview of the layout

35769193341_cd4bfc06e3_b.jpgIMG_8117 by franck combe, sur Flickr

I ordered a porter from minitrains. I was badly surprised by the default on electrical pick-up (quality of Germany and made in China I supposed).

35900751995_48efa71256_b.jpgIMG_8118 by franck combe, sur Flickr

The baldwin with decauville luggage car done by my friend Jean-Pierre Duval in 3d.

35900751935_0aeba87f7f_z.jpgIMG_8119 by franck combe, sur Flickr

The baldwin with truck for rail

35769192861_233170d62a_z.jpgIMG_8120 by franck combe, sur Flickr

Edited by franckcombe
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Delightful models. It's sad that Franck's work is yet another victim of the P***bucket scorched earth policy.I recommend his website with details of his earlier projects. Magnifique!

Dava

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...