Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Kirley's Workbench

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#451 Colin_McLeod

Colin_McLeod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,712 posts
  • LocationCork, Ireland.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 23:27

Jeremy you may be recalling the boiler arrangement in the AECs.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#452 fletchj1

fletchj1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay Canada

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:51

The AEC's (the CIE ones at least) had a similar Spanner type of boiler.   It was located in the guard's compartment (no enclosure that I saw other than a simple wire mesh screen) on the left side, against the outer wall, when looking toward the gangway or on right when looking toward the cab end.   Its exhaust flue was very similar to that on the GN coaches as just discussed but obviously at an angle from vertical and closer to the side.   There was a 'Danfoss' temperature probe installed in the flue to confirm firing.

The previous lower capacity Vapor Clarkson boilers had a smaller diameter flue with a cap but no surrounding 'box'.   As far as I know the GN, later UTA AEC's had the original boilers right to the end.

The old type VC boilers, flash tube type with downward firing from the top, a standard 'Vapor' design, were significantly noisier in operation.

Colm's Diesel Dawn book makes refers to the railcar boilers.  

Jeremy.

• Informative/Useful x 2

#453 kirley

kirley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:12

Thanks for the update.  My interiors were taken from the original GNR(I) drawings showing alterations for BUT stock. 

In regard to windows were they clear glass or opaque in the boiler, luggage and guards compartments? 

IMG_2531x.JPG

#454 NoelG

NoelG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:38

GNR(I) Coach Build

Finally got my interiors finished.

Now I really have to tackle the roofs.

Love the interior.  The pax sitting around the counter is class.

• Thanks x 1

#455 Glover

Glover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:08

Kirley, in regard to your query re windows in the BUT trailers, the only photo I can put my hand on at the moment is on page 69 of the late Norman Johnstons "Parting Shot".
It's a partial shot of a L12 brake third in the NIR blue & cream livery, in a BUT set.

The windows visible in the guards van section were clear although there would appear to be horizontal bars behind the windows, presumably to protect the glass, from luggage,parcels etc.

Norman identifies the coach as being either 591 or 592. The photo was taken in 1968.

Hope this helps.

Glover
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#456 David Jackson

David Jackson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:59

There is a picture in Norman Johnston's The GNR in Colour, on P73 which shows BUT Trailer 114, an L13 Brake 3rd. All windows seem to be clear except for the boiler compartment which looks opaque.

There is also a picture on P67 in which the boiler compartment window looks different to the others. 

• Informative/Useful x 1

#457 kirley

kirley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 15:08

Thanks for the replies. Glover, had a look at that picture but it's taken on the corridor side of the coach but I'll go with the Guard & Luggage compartments having clear glass and maybe add the 'bar'.  I was resigning myself to having to add red boilers as per Jeremy's post than along comes David with some evidence to suggest the boiler compartments had opaque glass. If it's a toss up between adding red boilers or opaque glass then the glass wins.

#458 kirley

kirley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:30

GNR(I) BUT converted coaches finished.  It's always a relief to get to the end of a project.

L12 Brake/3rd No. 94

IMG_2538x.jpg

IMG_2543x.jpg

IMG_2546x.jpg

D5 Brake/1st No. 231

IMG_2540x.jpg

IMG_2541x.jpg

IMG_2549x.jpg

B9 Buffett Car/3rd No. 124

IMG_2553x.jpg

IMG_2552x.jpg

IMG_2550x.jpg

After all the work on the bar interior there's not much to see from the outside unless I put in lights but for me that's a bridge to far.

• Like x 6
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 2

#459 NoelG

NoelG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 15:00

GNR(I) BUT converted coaches finished.  It's always a relief to get to the end of a project.

Superb achievement and craftsmanship Kieran.  I love the extra details like the door handles, etc.  Class job.

• Thanks x 1

#460 pat141

pat141

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBelfast

Posted 10 December 2017 - 18:22

Beautiful Kieran, i really like that livery and the passengers look great with their hats.

Hat's of to you.  :clapping_mini:  :clapping_mini:  :clapping_mini:  :clapping_mini:  :clapping_mini:

• Thanks x 1

#461 Hunslet 102

Hunslet 102

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 19:36

Great job Kieran,well done
  • Thanks x 1

#462 tmcg1959

tmcg1959

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 22:38

Kieran, when I see this level of work and dedication I realise that this forum is oozing with talent and expertise. Well done.

• Thanks x 1