Virney Junction - Scenery ongoing

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.

We lived near Ilford in Essex when I was a kid and there was a big department store on the railway bridge called "Bodgers". I wonder if Andy's folk ran it?

P.S. I've just done a search via Google and find that although the store is still there today it will close in February 2018.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The shops have reached their next stage.

post-10059-0-06964200-1507114522.jpg

I've decided that one of them will be Ian Pulham (Dentist) - the shop sign simply showing I Pulham Dentist plus a telephone number. I've opted for that because I can simply frost the glazing to save having to muck about with a window display.

I may take the lazy man's way out with the shop next door and hang a "To Let" sign over the door.

The roof tiles are 0.010" plasticard cut into 8mm wide strips and the individual (4mm wide) tiles cut through for the first 5mm of the 8mm width. The cutting was done on the Cameo Portrait and I now have a file which I re-run through the cutter as required for further buildings.

The guttering and down pipes are from a packet of Slater's assorted plastic "rod" that I picked up at Scaleforum in Aylesbury recently.

The fencing contractor has also been around and managed to erect some of the roadside fencing. He'll pop back from time to time (as further down the road is "finished") and erect some more fencing without fear of it being damaged by those cowboy builders who are constructing the various buildings!

• Like 5

The shops have reached their next stage.

attachicon.gif041017_1.jpg

I've decided that one of them will be Ian Pulham (Dentist) - the shop sign simply showing I Pulham Dentist plus a telephone number. I've opted for that because I can simply frost the glazing to save having to muck about with a window display.

I may take the lazy man's way out with the shop next door and hang a "To Let" sign over the door.

The roof tiles are 0.010" plasticard cut into 8mm wide strips and the individual (4mm wide) tiles cut through for the first 5mm of the 8mm width. The cutting was done on the Cameo Portrait and I now have a file which I re-run through the cutter as required for further buildings.

The guttering and down pipes are from a packet of Slater's assorted plastic "rod" that I picked up at Scaleforum in Aylesbury recently.

The fencing contractor has also been around and managed to erect some of the roadside fencing. He'll pop back from time to time (as further down the road is "finished") and erect some more fencing without fear of it being damaged by those cowboy builders who are constructing the various buildings!

When I was a kid, we lived in Addlestone, Surrey, and our Dentist was a; Y C WO, a Chinese man in Byfleet.

• RMweb Premium

Believe it or not at one time ours was a Mr Snipper.

Extractions were by gas and i hated the smell of those masks. I can't recall having any fillings and certainly not any injections.

The only good things about a dentist in those days was that an extraction was an excuse to visit the Rossi Bros Ice Cream parlour afterwards.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There's not been too much progress on the layout itself until very recently.

A friend dropped in last week for a few hours as he is want to do from time to time and whereas we normally stand around talking we spent the time operating the layout using the schedule. However, we ran it as a sequence but had to stop for lunch halfway through. I finished the sequence off by myself a couple of days later. I really must put some effort into changing the schedule to take advantage of the extra platform at Virney Junction.

I haven't been idle either. I've assembled three O gauge Dogfish brass kits for a friend and fitted decoders into a couple of his locos. I've also been working on a servo operated gate for the club's O gauge layout - the gate was constructed from numerous layers of 0.010" thou plasticard cut on the Cameo Portrait and laminated together. We fitted the gate to the layout last evening which pleased everyone.

With the gate complete and awaiiting installation I turned my attention to making some signals for my layout. I've built one of the Virney Junction home signals - it awaits painting - and I'm part way through the Up platform starter for the same station.

post-10059-0-63063300-1510314604_thumb.jpg

I've go three more signals to build for Virney Junction which I'll do before installing any of them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

post-10059-0-17137800-1510603639.jpg

Two down with three more to go. There's the up home signal - another bracket signal, the up platform's starter which will be mounted on the platform and the down platform starter which is at the bottom of the ramp but has a disc shunt signal alongside. The other three disc signals were built and painted so time ago and are simply awaiting installation.

One of the two down home signals is outside the scenic area on the other side of the road bridge. The other down home signal will be on the station side of the bridge - although for sighting purposes it too should probably be on the other side of the bridge. I wanted one lower quadrant signal and this was the easiest signal to fulfil that role. It was built a couple of weeks ago and like the rest is awaiting painting.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Likes chaps.

I'd made up a plain stop signal some while ago before I added the second platform to Virney Junction and it has languished, along with four (made-up) disc signals awaiting installation when the remaining signals had been completed. I suddenly thought this morning that it could be used for the up platform starting signal at Virney Junction and save me making one of the outstanding batch for the station.

I was just about to start excavating the up end of the up platform when I realised that the signal's balance arm is too low for a signal in a public area so I've still got to make that platform's signal.

I've spent much of today assembling the Aylesbury platform down starting signal. This is also a single arm signal but has an adjacent shunt signal and both need to go on the same base because of the limited space available between the platform track and the good's yard siding.

Apologies if this bit is hard to follow - at least I know what I mean! All should come clear tomorrow when I hope to be able to post a picture of the (unpainted) signals in their intended position.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The shunt signal was duly added alongside the down starter and tried in position - I was 99.9% sure it would fit as I'd measured the available space before. However, I did wonder if the starting signal was too close the the down line as I placed it in position so I quickly ran a coach passed it and all was fine - phew!

post-10059-0-58246200-1510824854.jpg

And here's progress on the up platform's starting signal with the raised balance bar. The ladder is all that needs to be added and I'm hoping that I can position the ladder such that it doesn't impede the movement of the balance bar - the bar's weights are more or less in line with one of the ladder's stiles.

post-10059-0-05891500-1510824876.jpg

The pairs of magnets seen in both pictures are for uncoupling Kadees. The magnets conveniently slide between the web and the underside of the SMP track almost as a friction fit so they don't need any adhesive. I have yet to determine whether they work better with the same (magnet) pole towards the track centre or the opposite way around. I've recently swapped which is the "lead" magnet - i.e. which is encountered first as the magnets are approached, the left or the right - and am trying to determine whether the change makes any difference.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Whilst on the subject of siting signals, the following two images show possible positions of a shunt signal at Buckinhum.

post-10059-0-81837400-1510851046.jpgpost-10059-0-10076100-1510851029.jpg

The left hand image shows the signal between the platform track and the loop - the signal is the exit signal from the loop onto the single line. I've always assumed that signals should be positioned to the left of the line (except possibly on the WR/GWR where right hand drive was [i believe] more prevalent]. It is passable on either track by any stock that I have.

The right hand image allows a little more room for the signal. Here it is between the loop and the long (dead end) siding in the goods yard. Aside from being on the wrong side for the driver it has worse visibility for any loco approaching over the divergent (curved) road at the bottom of the images. I think that the only benefit of this position is that there is a little more room between the two tracks than in the other image.

Anyone care to offer an opinion?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. Hope you had a good break and have come back inspired.

I've just started on the final signal for Virney Junction which I hope to finish early next week.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on the subject of siting signals, the following two images show possible positions of a shunt signal at Buckinhum.

attachicon.gif161117_2.jpgattachicon.gif161117_1.jpg

The left hand image shows the signal between the platform track and the loop - the signal is the exit signal from the loop onto the single line. I've always assumed that signals should be positioned to the left of the line (except possibly on the WR/GWR where right hand drive was [i believe] more prevalent]. It is passable on either track by any stock that I have.

The right hand image allows a little more room for the signal. Here it is between the loop and the long (dead end) siding in the goods yard. Aside from being on the wrong side for the driver it has worse visibility for any loco approaching over the divergent (curved) road at the bottom of the images. I think that the only benefit of this position is that there is a little more room between the two tracks than in the other image.

Ray 

In my honest opinion the signal is mainly on the left, especially a shunt as this is a speed restrictive movement however I am aware some running signals are shown on an opposite road for sighting purposes.

I can't recall / seen a shunt on the opposite side although I may be proven wrong.....

Jim 

Edited by jcarta

• RMweb Gold

post-9992-0-09951600-1297934704_thumb.jp

Ray

After writing the previous post I have found this on the web and you can have shunts on the right hand side....All the shunts in this picture show the shunt signals are on the opposite side (right hand)...... Space permitting I suppose as well as sighting.

Jim 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the image Jim. It is interesting in more ways than one because I've just started building the up home signal for Virney Junction.

The single 9running) line is flanked on either side by a headshunt and is on a (tightish) curve as it aproaches the station.

The "conventional" position for the signal would be between the headshunt on the driver's left and the running line and on the outside of the curve. There is room for it between these two tracks but prototypically the sharpness of the curve could make sighting difficult so I was wondering it the signal should go on the outside of the curve on the outside of the headshunt.

The signal is a bracket with one route into the up platform and the other into the (new) down platform which is bi-directional. Placing the signal on the outside of the headshunt would also mean that it would be mounted on the (cutting) bank and the underside of the bracket well clear of anything passing underneath.

I'll try and post an image later.

• RMweb Premium

Here's the general lay of the situation. The two outer tracks are the two headshunts, the centre track being the running line. The pointwork is about 70º around the curve.

post-10059-0-89485100-1510917035.jpg

The following image shows the signal immediately to the left of the running line. The clearance under the bracket is what made me look at alternative placement. I could replace the main post of the signal with something taller but I only have slim posts in stock. I could also raise the bracket slightly and (perhaps) trim the right hand doll's length to match. I'm not sure how much clearance I need to leave under the bracket - not that I expect anyone to riding on the roof of passing trains!

post-10059-0-86842900-1510916998.jpg

Here's the other idea. The main post could probably move to its right so that it isn't quite so remote from any track. I haven't decided how the (model) land will lie in this area yet so the bank could be a little higher with the signal set into the bank side.

post-10059-0-66344200-1510917967.jpg

I should also add that there will be disc (shunt) signals controlling the movements of trains over the points on each headshunt so the there would be a disc signal adjacent to and at the foot of the post in the third image.

Now there's a puzzle! Would that disc signal go between the signal post (of the running line signal) and the headshunt or to the left of the running line signal in the last image?

• RMweb Gold

Disc signal on the ground by the point toe to which it refers - especially if it's a headshunt where there is someone on the ground in charge of the movement.   Running line signal perfectly ok on the embankment - far better there than in that tight looking six foot.

That's what I THOUGHT, but I knew Mike would KNOW.

• RMweb Premium

As mentioned above, I wasn't (and still am not) certain what will happen beyond the railway fence at Virney Junction in the vicinity of the up home signal.

I also mentioned that the only taller posts that I have don't seem man enough to support a bracket signal.

Both aspects have been bugging me and whilst I could resort to a tubular post I have to confess that I find it difficult - aka nearly impossible - to keep all the post attachments in a vertical line with tubular posts.

However, what I did have was the butts off a couple of square posts that have been used for platform starting signals which don't require the full length of the post.

These butt pieces aren't ideal because they're not the same cross section as the post on the bracket signal - at least they don't look like it.

All was not lost and some work with 70º solder and a file plus a 1mm diameter brass pin sunk into the top of the post and the base of the "extension" piece and I have managed to raise the bracket. .

post-10059-0-26776300-1511127265.jpg

The signal is not exactly in its intended position because the area between the running line and the headshunt has been built up nearer the point where the signal is destined to go. As I will no doubt remove some of the excess "landfill" to position the signal, placing it where it is shown allows me to confirm that the bracket will no foul anything passing under it even if it is ultimately positioned at a slightly lower level.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Up home signal, virtually complete and posed in the area where it will ultimately go. The picture was taken before I'd fitted the ladder.

post-10059-0-62215400-1511295271.jpg

All of Virney Junction's signals have since been bathed in soda crystals to neutralise any acid in the liquid flux that I used. They'll now be given a spray with white primer from a rattle can and where appropriate touched up with black.

With one or two exceptions they will then have to await the delivery of some micro servos that I ordered recently because the SG90 servos that I normally use would require their footprint to be increased.

I'd like to think that I can get them all installed and operational before Christmas as I may have a couple of friends coming round for a running session during the holiday.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A quick update:

All eleven of the signals for the junction station have now been built (and painted) and two have had their servos fitted. Those two signals are now resident on the layout and await connecting up electrically to the MERG CBUS equipment. I shall probably leave this until all of the signals at the station have been fitted to the layout as I will then need to link the computer to the layout to configure each signal to work from the relevant lever in the frame.

Three of the station's signal levers will operate one of a pair of signals based on the lie of the points immediately in advance of the signal. This can be accommodated on one lever by simply incorporating a second micro switch for the relevant point lever in the frame so that the pair (of micro-switches - one glued above the other) are both activated when the point lever is reversed and the signal's wiring is routed through the add-on micro-switch. The prime micro-switch is used to change points and signals themselves via the CBUS kit where there is no choice of what the lever operates.

The other two signal levers (which operate the up home and the down starting signals) at the station both select the relevant signal of a pair based on the lie of the points at the relative end of the same crossover. Here the second micro-switch will have to operate a relay with two sets of changeover contacts and the wiring for the signals will be routed through the relevant set of relay contacts.

n.b. The two arms on the up home signal route trains into either platform depending on subsequent destination of the train and the down starting signal is co-sited with the shunt signal that permits entry into the goods yard.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif161117_2.jpgattachicon.gif161117_1.jpg

Ray,

I can only comment on my perception of GWR practice where the norm was simply the best position for it to be seen, full stop. The GWR seemed happier with positions for overal sighting rather than dogma of “has to be on the left”.

My main reason for a comment is to say how good your track and ballast look. I’m impressed.

• RMweb Premium

Rich.

I've managed to fit servos to the up starter in the other platform today in addition to all three down end platform signals. That just leaves a couple of shunt signals and the up home mentioned yesterday and then connecting them up to the relevant CBUS boards.

Thanks for the complement about the track, all laid with something similar to latex and then weathered by my colleague.

• RMweb Premium

All the signals in place (as is in the lower image some really naff PhotoShop editing to get rid of the garage walls!). The signals have all had their servos attached.

I now need to connect each signal to the lever frame and then configure the MERG CBUS kit to recognise which signal to operate when I operate a specific lever (and in some cases, have set the appropriate point(s) appropriately).

post-10059-0-32936900-1513025147.jpg

The two "yellow" disc signals are just about visible on the outside of their relative tracks in the above image.

post-10059-0-33477600-1513025167.jpg

And the backs of the other two disc signals can just be seen in the lower image.

Don't take too much notice of the arm positions (as they don't correspond to the way the points have been set), this is just how they ended up when I trial operated their respective servos.

• Like 4