R3289 Network Rail Class 37 TTS

ruggedpeak

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I've been an analogue hold out. All my own stuff is analogue however I'm building a digital trainset with the boy which uses Hornby Railmaster and E-Link. I must admit I am now converted. Most of my modelling friends went digital years ago but I think two things put me off - the fact I had so many analogue models and also my friends seemed to go for Lenz and it seemed awfully expensive to me . Then when some of my fellow luddites made the shift using cheaper systems like the Prodigy Express which always seemed a very good way into digital in being affordable whilst having enough functionality for what I'd want I did not have a layout nor the time/money to build one. Now I'm really getting into digital will be going that way for future purchases.

I think kiddies love sound equipped locomotives, but paying £200 - 300 per locomotive is way beyond that market, and lets be honest how many people would buy something like a sound fitted Hornby Bullied pacific and then give it to their kids to play with on a 6x4 or 8x4 trainset? These TTS models make sound achievable for a market which loves the idea.

On DCC and jargon in general, Iam reminded of the great RJ Mitchell who once said to a colleague that if somebody tries telling you something about engineering and you can't understand it then its balls!

• 2 weeks later...

Only had a chance to look at one in my local shop today, still in its box. I would agree - the first thing that struck me was how light the whole thing was - box included! I presume it must rely on traction tyres? Decoration looked okay, although the yellow did look a bit thin and 'plasticky', almost translucent, in some areas where the moulding detail was fine, e.g. around the cab windows/doors. I too would be interested to hear one but there are no youtube videos yet!

Although I don't think I will be buying one of these due to the substandard chassis/body compared to the Bachmann/ViTrains versions, for the money, particularly if the sound is as good as the TTS Tornado, I might be tempted even if it is just to take the decoder/speaker out!

• RMweb Premium

I'm curious to try the large logo class 47. I am not expecting TTS to match full fat sound systems but at the price if it sounds pretty decent then it may make sound a normal part of modelling rather than a niche given the price.

The old Lima models do feel very light, however they seem to be smooth runners.

I'm curious to try the large logo class 47. I am not expecting TTS to match full fat sound systems but at the price if it sounds pretty decent then it may make sound a normal part of modelling rather than a niche given the price.

The old Lima models do feel very light, however they seem to be smooth runners.

This should help you decide:

http://youtu.be/WXHNiRpjW18

Kind regards,

Paul

You just beat me to it.

I'm quite impressed for the price (I got mine for £76 from my local model shop).  The sound is good but has been mentioned it is light, the speaker has been placed where the weight should be and it did struggle a little so I think I may need to add a little weight.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/68980550@N03/HB3N6p

https://www.flickr.com/gp/68980550@N03/Vd050K

15680452944_ef9b6664ac_z.jpg97301b by robfrowen, on Flickr

16302858905_ff01108a3b_z.jpg97301a by robfrowen, on Flickr

Edited by robf
  • Like 1

You just beat me to it.

I'm quite impressed for the price (I got mine for £76 from my local model shop).  The sound is good but has been mentioned it is light, the speaker has been placed where the weight should be and it did struggle a little so I think I may need to add a little weight.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/68980550@N03/HB3N6p

https://www.flickr.com/gp/68980550@N03/Vd050K

15680452944_ef9b6664ac_z.jpg97301b by robfrowen, on Flickr

16302858905_ff01108a3b_z.jpg97301a by robfrowen, on Flickr

Thank you for the photos robf.

It's help me make my mind up, they have used the wrong body shells as per the catalogue. 97301 was an un-refurbished 37/0 with split head codes originally.

Looks like they have used a centre head code refurbished class 37 shell.

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the Youtube link!

I think from this I have two thoughts, it is not as good as full blown sound systems (as expected) but that it is actually pretty good and is very attractive as a means of adding sound to the layout on a tight budget.

For what it is I think Hornby have done a great job with this and deserve a lot of success with it. I do not want it to replace high end sound but I do not think it will as TTS is pitched at a different market and I think Hornby may have a real winner with this.

Thanks for the Youtube link!

I think from this I have two thoughts, it is not as good as full blown sound systems (as expected) but that it is actually pretty good and is very attractive as a means of adding sound to the layout on a tight budget.

For what it is I think Hornby have done a great job with this and deserve a lot of success with it. I do not want it to replace high end sound but I do not think it will as TTS is pitched at a different market and I think Hornby may have a real winner with this.

I have to agree with you.  For the the price this is very good.  I also have the TTS Tornado and Duke of Gloucester and they are also very good.  I aslo have some high end sound locos which whilst are much better but the price....

Sounds good, especially at the price.

However, the manky yellow banana network rail livery doesn't fit my layout, although I like the sound - looking at the lugs under the cab doors, I'm thinking that I could swap the body with that from the Hornby R2471A Class 37 diesel in BR green with split headcode.   It'd then go nicely with the forthcoming TTS Class 40!

• RMweb Gold

Was considering this model as a first foray into DCC and sound, from the videos I am very impressed.

I think this is a good call from Hornby to get TTS out there in the D&E fraternity - I have a load of Hornby 37's so the bodies can be swapped.

Now all I need to do is get one. Everywhere is showing pre-order still. Will look Monday.

• RMweb Gold

That's pretty good sound and at that price should encourage many more to give it a go. It's a shame they have used the wrong body but hopefully TTS will now grow the market for sound and give rise to more full price locos so fitted over coming years.

I shouldn't think that the body matters too much. Most of these are probably being bought for the chassis, to upgrade people's old Lima 37s.

Yep, it's the wrong nose.  I'll probably renumber it and get lights installed.  I've done this with some 37s, 47s and the NR 73 and it improves the Hornby models no end!

Not just the noses - It's the wrong body also, with it's roof mounted air horns and 37/4 etc nose side grilles painted black (all over) to hide this body error ?   97 301 was originally a split box 37/0.

• RMweb Gold

It would be very interesting if Hornby were to release the sound chips alone! They have the English Electric type sounds with class 37 and 40, am I right that there will be a Sulzer sound with class 47? Even if not exactly right, these should cover a bit proportion of diesel classes..., (that will upset pourists!)

• RMweb Gold

Although we are sold out of our original stock, the Hornby Trade site is showing we have more due to arrive this month. Should be the same for other retailers.

Thanks - shame you don't do mail order yet.

And glad you are getting stock that sells through quickly! :)

We had one on the Hornby stand at Warley, as part of Simon's E-Link set-up. I was suitably impressed enough to add it to my list of wants for 2015. I'll probably partner it with the Dapol track cleaners i use in the garden (1 set to grind, the other set to vacuum), just to make that cleaning process at least a little bit more interesting than it currently is. Even at the RRP, it does present great value for money, and a gateway to more sound loco's. 

I have two TTS loco's now, the Blue Tornado an COTN. Whilst not as pleasing as a properly blown chip, there is no arguing the fact that it does what it says on the box. That and the fact that the stockk is in place (and not subject to countless threads about supply issues) adds further weight to the fact that the worst may now well be over. Its safe to say that if I can bare the thought of braving the elements today, I will be adding this to the collection. Should make for an interesting project should I decide to enhance it with weathering and basic lights.

• Like 2

Gosh!

Just got Hornbys latest newsletter - "Just arrived at Hornby HQ, another packed shipment of brand new lines from the 2015 range. ", headlining that the Distinctive Network Rail Class 37 with TTS sound is with us!  Yes, Hornby is on the ball, even though the 37 is from the 2014 range....

Ho hum.  We've been talking about it being in the wild all week.  Just waiting to see if my supplier has got their hands on enough to fill their preorders.

All I can say is when I get MY hands on one, it'll be into the works for modifications and a visit to to the paintshop.

Wanders off whistling "yes, we have no bananas..."