R3289 Network Rail Class 37 TTS

ruggedpeak

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't resist buying one of theses.  It will be my first sound fitted loco.  Not suitable for the era that I prefer modeling so definitely needs to visit the paint shop.

When I placed my order there were 5 left on the Hornby website, in the time it took to complete payment the other 4 were also sold.  

Now shows out of stock.

Chester Model Shop have at least 4 in stock at about 85 quid.  If you're in the area and want one, they're probably worth visiting...

And they also have a few examples of the Santa Set too, at Hornby list price. :jester:

I ordered mine through Amazon when they were on there for 50 quid, I do wonder when it will turn up if at all!

Mark

I pre-ordered a TTS Class 40 when they were similar price around £58.. I keep getting emails from Amazon suggesting the date has slipped and do I want to cancel the order..... erm... no. 

• Like 1

Just picked up the last one from Gaugemaster in Ford. 

It is what it is, and very no frills. Whilst in the shop, we opened it up inside to see how much of a faff it would be to install micro LED's front and rear. All looks very straightforward, as long as the TTS decoder will allow light functions. Failing that, I'll just throw in an old chip, match the address and use that for additional functions.

She is exceptionally light with regards to her weight, so will certainly be adding some weight to her.

Sound wise, considering the RRP, there really is no room for gripes. Im sure a better speaker with improved low end frequency response will improve matters no end. But out of the box, I think this one is a winner for the RailRoad brand. Fresh out of the box, it does have a very early 80's toy range feel to it. But Ive always considered the Railroad range to be a great canvas upon which to practice modelling and weathering skills. The TTS 37 is already earmarked for some aggressive weathering, and hoping that the initial passes using various wash tones will help bring out the detail that is there, but somewhat muted by the banana yellow and very plastic looking roof.

As to wether its an accurate representation of the 37, I have no idea. My modelling criteria is that if it looks right, feels right and sounds right then Im happy. I wont obsess about the minutiae because thats not where my interest comes from. No, it wont win any awards for excellence, but it probably will win back a select group of modellers who's patience has been tested to the max over the last few years. 

So, bottom line, it represents great value for money, delivers as promised and arrived ahead of time (hopefully heralding the fact that the worst is over). 

Now, if anyone can point me in the right direction for some detail packs that can be used to pimp out the front and rear areas I would be most grateful.

• RMweb Gold

I pre-ordered the LNER A4 Gladstone TTS model through Amazon last May at £62, it was in the shops well before Christmas, my model did eventually turn up last week. Therefore there is a chance some of the orders for the diesels will be honoured

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email from Amazon to say my order cannot be fulfilled and has been cancelled. Very poor if you ask me!

Mark

Just as likely to mean cannot be fulfilled at the price quoted and your order is cancelled. In the past I have ordered railway books with a discount. They are published, but Amazon doesn't get any stock and cancels your order. Then some time later the book becomes available but at full RRP.

Just had an email from Amazon to say my order cannot be fulfilled and has been cancelled. Very poor if you ask me!

Mark

Just as likely to mean cannot be fulfilled at the price quoted and your order is cancelled. In the past I have ordered railway books with a discount. They are published, but Amazon doesn't get any stock and cancels your order. Then some time later the book becomes available but at full RRP.

LOL they have cancelled the TTS class 40 as well.... it's a conspiracy I tell ya..... :triniti:

This is what Amazon say

Hello,

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

"Hornby Railroad 00 Gauge BR Class 40 Empress of Canada with TTS Sound Diesel Locomotive"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJZIONS

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.  This item has now been cancelled from your order #XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion.  Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

You may visit the product detail page(s) above to see if these item(s) are available from other sellers.

So they are saying it's Hornby .... ummm ......

I only pre-ordered as it was cheap and free P&P and as you say it will probably re-appear at the full RRP..

:stinker: 

Steve 

Amazon/their suppliers actions are possibly a legacy of what started this thread in the first place - the disappearance of the TTS diesels from the Hornby listings, allowing them to wriggle out of an obligation to supply at what can now be seen as an extremely generous bargain price.

Their main wriggle is, of course the fact that as they hadn't taken your money, a valid contract to purchase didn't exist.

Companies don't say "we only debit your account when we dispatch the goods" for your benefit...

• RMweb Gold

Their main wriggle is, of course the fact that as they hadn't taken your money, a valid contract to purchase didn't exist.

"Your order is an offer to Amazon to buy the product(s) in your order. When you place an order to purchase a product from Amazon, we will send you an e-mail confirming receipt of your order and containing the details of your order (the "Order Confirmation E-mail"). The Order Confirmation E-mail is acknowledgement that we have received your order, and does not confirm acceptance of your offer to buy the product(s) ordered. We only accept your offer, and conclude the contract of sale for a product ordered by you, when we dispatch the product to you and send e-mail confirmation to you that we've dispatched the product to you (the "Dispatch Confirmation E-mail")."

Trade price is a lot more than that, but I wonder if they were making a profit at that price.  TTS Class 40 appears to be due in the shops any day now. So it is still available despite what it says in the email, but clearly not at that price? Do you know who was the Seller? I cannot see it from your link.

One of your local competitors is still listing the TTS 37 as from 4th Feb and the TTS 40 as from 1st July.

They're usually quite good at reflecting stock levels , but text based info often gets forgotten.

• RMweb Gold

Trade price is a lot more than that, but I wonder if they were making a profit at that price.  TTS Class 40 appears to be due in the shops any day now. So it is still available despite what it says in the email, but clearly not at that price? Do you know who was the Seller? I cannot see it from your link.

It is amazon themselves (not a market place seller) who were offering all the TTS locos for pre-order last May at what seemed ridiculously low prices . As I said above they finally supplied my R3285TTS A4 Gladstone last week for £62, a while after they were released but it shows that Amazon have received some stocks from Hornby so perhaps some orders for the 37 & 40 will be for-filled?

Picked up a 40 at lunchtime just arrived in the shop ( Arcadia ), what can be said it's the old Lima 40 in green.

Heared the basic loco sound and the horns, it sounds like a 40, what more is there to say.

At the price you could pick up a couple or 3 , detail them for not much more than the price of the B/Mann version seems a good buy. Alright it's a bit light in weight and it's an ex Lima model but for most home/junior layouts I would think it will suffice where train lengths aren't that long.

Not able to place video on u tube but no doubt somebody will.

A good base for detailing I think.

• Like 1

I replaced the 8 ohm speaker  in my 'Banana' for a Esu 28mm round 4 ohm, there's plenty of space and  the difference is amazing! Fully seal the speaker gaps with blu-tac or similar.

Hornby have got a great sound program here.... well impressed.

If you change over your speaker it is important that you reprogramme your main sound (f1) to setting number 1, and not the factory setting of 4....this is so that glass will remain in your's and your neighbour's windows!!!!

I would not recommend changing your speaker if you don't have a controller that can re-set your CV's.

Next, I plan on transferring the Decoder across to a Vitrains class 37, as this loco has lighting.

Cheers.

I replaced the 8 ohm speaker  in my 'Banana' for a Esu 28mm round 4 ohm, there's plenty of space and  the difference is amazing! Fully seal the speaker gaps with blu-tac or similar.

Hornby have got a great sound program here.... well impressed.

If you change over your speaker it is important that you reprogramme your main sound (f1) to setting number 1, and not the factory setting of 4....this is so that glass will remain in your's and your neighbour's windows!!!!

I would not recommend changing your speaker if you don't have a controller that can re-set your CV's.

Next, I plan on transferring the Decoder across to a Vitrains class 37, as this loco has lighting.

Cheers.

Reducing the overall sound to 1 is a good idea anyway, setting 4 is a tad too loud in a domestic situation!

As for the lighting, I haven't had the body off my Class 40 yet, but a little work with a pin drill, a few bi-colour LEDs with associated resistors and some stripboard should sort out the lighting problem.

I'm thinking, given the quality of the TTS sounds, we need to start pestering Hornby to sell the decoders individually at a reasonable price!

• Like 1

To put the Yellow Banana in context, I was looking for Hornby TTS clips on YouTube, and I found a clip of an equally yellow 37 198 enjoying a cold start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSErx4Tmg8

How many Seuth smoke units would be needed to replicate that?

(Also make me think that the TTS cold start sequence isn't long enough....)

• Like 2

How many Seuth smoke units would be needed to replicate that?

1..., 2..., 3..., 4..., *COUGH COUGH..SMOKE ALARMS GOING OFF* ...nevermind...!

(Also make me think that the TTS cold start sequence isn't long enough....)

Doesn't it vary? I remember seeing a video on Youtube that featured a Class 37 with a quicker cold-start....even on "Train Simulator 2015" it seems quicker....

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't resist buying one of theses.  It will be my first sound fitted loco.  Not suitable for the era that I prefer modeling so definitely needs to visit the paint shop.

When I placed my order there were 5 left on the Hornby website, in the time it took to complete payment the other 4 were also sold.  

Now shows out of stock.

Still haven't received this yet.  sent an email last Friday to customer services and received a reply today:

"Thank you for your email, I have looked into this for you and the order left us on 25/01/15 and seems to be lost in the postal /courier system and has not reached you.

I have therefore ordered you a replacement but these will not be in until the end of Feb, and as soon as they arrive one will be sent out to you. We apologise for the problem with your goods."

Looks like an excuse to me.

They've already got my money and looks like a bit of a wait to receive it.  Maybe the last time I buy direct from Hornby.

Looking at my orders on the website both this an the previous order in October both say being processed!  

• RMweb Gold

Hats of to Hornby, they have restored my faith a little. 

I contacted them today as I noticed that they were still showing the TTS Class 40 as in stock so I was a little checky and asked whether they could sent the class 40 instead.  

The young lady wasn't sure if it was possible but put me on hold whilst she enquired.  She came back with a yes, so a class 40 is winging it's way to me, even had an email from UKmail to say they have received it at their depot for delivery tomorrow.

Hopefully will receive it tomorrow.  

Would have preferred the class 37 although it would have needed a respray, but would probably bought the class 40 anyway so will wait till the main batch arrives at the end of Feb and see if i can be lucky then.

There are two sorts of TTS 37s now being offered on a certain auction site:

1. Complete, at around 20% above the Hornby website price.

2. Minus the DCC/TTS subsystem, and a blanking plate in the DCC socket. The ones I've seen seem to be about £50

I can see the point about the latter, the DCC/TTS has been removed as a donor to a loco the owner prefers, and its a perfectly acceptable "DCC Ready" loco, even if it definitely needs the ballast weight (and DCC?) adding.  However, I can't understand how people are prepared to pay through the nose for instant gratification, when by waiting you can get one from Hornby or from a Hornby stockist.

• RMweb Gold

There are two sorts of TTS 37s now being offered on a certain auction site:

1. Complete, at around 20% above the Hornby website price.

2. Minus the DCC/TTS subsystem, and a blanking plate in the DCC socket. The ones I've seen seem to be about £50

I can see the point about the latter, the DCC/TTS has been removed as a donor to a loco the owner prefers, and its a perfectly acceptable "DCC Ready" loco, even if it definitely needs the ballast weight (and DCC?) adding.  However, I can't understand how people are prepared to pay through the nose for instant gratification, when by waiting you can get one from Hornby or from a Hornby stockist.

I suppose the the fact that sellers are offering at inflated prices doesn't prove that they they finding buyers. But if they are its the usual mad clamour to have the latest 'must have' new toy. I noted traders with these at similar inflated prices at Stafford last weekend which I found ironic given that you could buy bespoke sound from the likes of digitrains and others for very little more.