OO gauge Holden F5 2-4-2T loco proposal

DJM Dave

Coincidentally today's Winter issue no.2 of Finescale Modelling Review has a useful article on the F5, with John A Gardner, HMRS steward for G.E. locos, outlining his work on a Scale Seven Connoisseur Kit.

The conclusion of the article covers much of the reference material available, and with there being no full-size loco to laser scan, these would I imagine be invaluable sources for Dave if the funding becomes available.   This is where we need a 'fingers crossed' icon!

Edited by Adams442T

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what I said in an earlier post here that you could possibly disagree with?

Suggestions anyone?

Possibly Dave, as prtrains only joined on 17th Dec 2014 and has made only 1 post he may be unfamiliar with the icons.  He might have meant indecipherable / unsure  as a risponce insetad.................

Possibly Dave, as prtrains only joined on 17th Dec 2014 and has made only 1 post he may be unfamiliar with the icons.  He might have meant indecipherable / unsure  as a risponce insetad.................

Ah yes, I see now. More than likely as my sausage fingers have registered other than what I've wanted in the past.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm still hopeful to get this project going in the future. I think the crowd-funding is still the best way to get it from idea-model, but the timing was a little wrong.

One point regularly brought up was that people hadn't seen any/much of Dave's stand-alone work - Something I hope people would now be more comfortable with.

The market is currently being flooded with commissions, so it will take something very special to sit above the rest and entice people to part with their money. With recent progress on the new-build project itself, hopefully more people will want such a model...

Meanwhile, I'm looking at alternatives, such as my current Wilbert commission.

Any other suggestions welcome!

:P

An ex-MR 0-4-4T 1P class with push-pull stock, a Caladonian Railway 812, Highland Railway Jones Goods, NLR 0-6-0T, a Furness Railway 0-6-0, The L&Y Class 27 0-6-0, SE&CR H Class 0-4-4T, some 0-4-0ST and 0-4-0T industrial locomotives, GWR 2-6-0, an SR Q Class 0-6-0, and an NER J21 0-6-0. Just to name a few ;).

Edited by 9402 Fredrick
  • Like 1

An ex-MR 0-4-4T 1P class with push-pull stock, a Caladonian Railway 812, Highland Railway Jones Goods, NLR 0-6-0T, a Furness Railway 0-6-0, The L&Y Class 27 0-6-0, SE&CR H Class 0-4-4T, some 0-4-0ST and 0-4-0T industrial locomotives, GWR 2-6-0, an SR Q Class 0-6-0, and an NER J21 0-6-0. Just to name a few ;).

Didn't realise that this was turning into a wish list thread, I thought it was about the F5 2-4-2T!

I agree with you John, I'd love to see this F5 project come off. I also want a J6.

My logic in asking DJ Models to enquire about a survey for a G5 tank is Dave probably has the contacts to initiate a survey. If the survey for the F5 tank is successful and means extra funding for the working prototype, I can't imagine the G5 loco society would reject the idea of a survey for an OO scale model. Best of both worlds for us rail modellers a G5 and F5 tank in both model and working prototype form, partly funded by us.

Sorry - just been re-reading some of the earlier posts and spotted the issue about contacts for the G5. I'm a (relatively minor) shareholder - happy to channel any serious interest in a survey, etc.

G5 AGM must be due later this year.

• 1 year later...

On the modelling side of this, the original GER F4 is almost identical dimensionally to the NER F8. Both were designed by TW Worsdell.

A bit of care would allow a designer to produce both, without too much trouble, I'd have thought.

Actually the NER F8 is almost identical to TWW;'s earlier design for the GER. The F5 is almost indistinguishable from the F4, the principal difference being the boiler pressure and was simply coded R for rebuilt by the GER, whilst the F6 is an F4 or F5 with taller side tanks and bunker and a cab with more and bigger windows (in fact two F5s were fitted with similar cabs). So I make that at least 4 models from one common base.

If the F5 lot are out of it, what are the chances of DJM taking this on directly...?