Tri-ang bogie brick wagon

roythebus

I have just one available pic of the Trestrol C, in 'LNER Wagons, 4B' on p266. Worth a trawl of  Paul Bartlett's site; although this SCV was a real rarity, to which my 'build 2 accurate from 3' is an allusion.

What I failed to mention is that while underlength for the Trestrol C, this vehicle is very close on length to the clearly related Weltrol P design of 1937 (p282 of same book): a 400% more numerous vehicle. So there we are, better match lengthwise to one SCV design, but with constructional features that clearly relate to another longer SCV design.

• 9 months later...

A recently completed improvement on the bogie brick wagon. Bogies are Cambrian, everything else was from the bits box. I have not repaired the slight damage to the brake lever mechanism [it would probably only snap off even with light handling].

37914866596_e1d7d29e85_z.jpg

37914865756_09787b787c_z.jpg

37914864776_a290b5eec0_z.jpg

The brick insert is original Triang and the wagon awaits weathering.

Tony

• Like 17

A recently completed improvement on the bogie brick wagon. Bogies are Cambrian, everything else was from the bits box. I have not repaired the slight damage to the brake lever mechanism [it would probably only snap off even with light handling].

37914866596_e1d7d29e85_z.jpg

37914865756_09787b787c_z.jpg

37914864776_a290b5eec0_z.jpg

The brick insert is original Triang and the wagon awaits weathering.

Tony

A stunning transformation!  :O

• Like 2

Back in 1965/6, when I was 6/7 years old, my dad was sent out to look for me as I hadn't come back from school....

...dad found me, face glued to the toy shop window, marvelling at the bright red bogie brick wagon newly displayed in the window.

Dad was so taken aback by my devotion to this wagon, he bought it for me. It was my pride and joy on my"Nellie" train set. 

Bit OT, but the wagon still fascinates!

:)

Angus

• Like 7

Back in 1965/6, when I was 6/7 years old, my dad was sent out to look for me as I hadn't come back from school....

...dad found me, face glued to the toy shop window, marvelling at the bright red bogie brick wagon newly displayed in the window.

Dad was so taken aback by my devotion to this wagon, he bought it for me. It was my pride and joy on my"Nellie" train set. 

Bit OT, but the wagon still fascinates!

:)

Angus

Was it the London Brick version Angus?

Tony

The first time I remember seeing the brick wagon was in the 3F tender loco set which in those days were sold in Currys alongside irons, TV's etc. My mother could not afford that set so I ended up with the Jinty one. The brick wagon was brown though not red.

In those days Currys also sold individual items of both Tri-ang and Hornby Dublo as did the Boyes department stores in York.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

One is a 'cheapo' version for starter sets I believe.

AFAIK they were never branded 'LONDON BRICK' being company wagons and not private owner. Depending on era, one can choose between between GNR, large and small NE and BR(E). The RETURN TO DEPOT branding is nonsense and should be RETURN TO (or EMPTY TO) FLETTON.

IIRC there was a Lima version based on an H0 50 foot U.S. gondola. We'll draw a discrete veil....

• Like 1

I had not realised that there were two versions of this London Brick wagon [ie. red and black underframe]....

One is a 'cheapo' version for starter sets I believe.

I hadn't either, having buffers and being heat printed I thought it was a standard wagon. The starter set one I have has no heat printing, paint or buffers but II Grifone is right, it is for or from a stater set.

post-19662-0-46760200-1509908577_thumb.jpg

The  bottom of the range indeed lacked buffers, which saves the effort of removing them. They are Tri-ang's generic (It's a buffer, Jim, but not as we know it) horror, so 'collector's only'. (They sell quite well on eBay!)

Checking mine (or at least 2 of them - one has 'gone walkabout' ) there are no raised panels. One (bought back in the day - it has the brick load) has had the brake cross bars added (but not the link to the vacuum cylinder as yet) and has received a coat of bauxite paint and Ratio diamond frame bogies. The other still has Tri-ang's lettering 'BRICK',  '50T/E451004' and 'RETURN TO DEPOT' (in the wrong place). There are also non common user 'N's in the corners, which AFAIK are only appropriate for LNER livery (possibly GNR? - they were introduced around the time of the grouping).

there are no raised panels.

It's not a raised panel, it's just where the planking hasn't been carried right through. I have quite a few of these wagons including the ones with brick loads and all of them have that flat panel bit. Looks like it was for where the word brick was heat printed.

If you look at the pic I posted of the boxed one, you'll see it's there. :)

Edited by sandwich station

To which we may add the six wheel bogie 'Trestrol' a very neat model based on the LNER's Trestrol C design of 1938. (As a teen I thought this some kind of US design, as it figured heavily in their Battlesplat! range alongside many of the other Lionel sourced designs.)

But as better information has become available I now know that it is based on a UK vehicle, and for all it is roughly 10% underlength it remains comfortably the largest specially constructed vehicle model ever available in OO RTR. (A cut and paste job can produce two scale length vehicles from three, and since the general proportions of the very sharp mouldings are correct, this is well worthwhile.)

The Tri-ang six-wheeled bogies are also under-length - I had to cut-and-shut those for my TRESTROL 'stretch'.

post-2274-0-76155500-1510416385_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-97615200-1510416436_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-00848500-1510416450_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-12601100-1510416469_thumb.jpg

post-2274-0-99692700-1510416483_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5