Conflats & containers

I am building some Parkside LNER conflats, The first question is would BR type A or B containers be loaded on an LNER conflat.the second qustion is the LNER open containers I think DX what did they carry, would they have had tarpaulins, as I need to get some lead in them for weight and whant to know what to cover it with.

David

• RMweb Gold

I am building some Parkside LNER conflats, The first question is would BR type A or B containers be loaded on an LNER conflat.the second qustion is the LNER open containers I think DX what did they carry, would they have had tarpaulins, as I need to get some lead in them for weight and whant to know what to cover it with.

David

The only thing I can delve out from a quick look (I really must sort out my green freight loading books sometime) is a restriction on single plank wagons loaded with a container secured by roping - they being barred from certain classes of train.

I am building some Parkside LNER conflats, The first question is would BR type A or B containers be loaded on an LNER conflat.

Yes, no resson why not. Or on in a med- or high-fit, but not a lowfit.

the second qustion is the LNER open containers I think DX what did they carry, would they have had tarpaulins, as I need to get some lead in them for weight and whant to know what to cover it with.

Open containers should be loaded into med or high fits, definately not conflats, although that's not to say the rules were always followed.

Jon

Yes, no resson why not. Or on in a med- or high-fit, but not a lowfit.

Open containers should be loaded into med or high fits, definately not conflats, although that's not to say the rules were always followed.

Jon

The LNER open container comes with the Parkside LNER conflat and photos in Peter Tatlows LNER wagons show these open containers on these conflats.

I have modelled a few containers into open wagons as well, there is something rather nice about conflats and containers.

David

The LNER open container comes with the Parkside LNER conflat and photos in Peter Tatlows LNER wagons show these open containers on these conflats.

I have modelled a few containers into open wagons as well, there is something rather nice about conflats and containers.

David

The DX containers were intended to carry things such as bricks, earthenware sanitary ware (the latter packed with straw) and similar goods.

One of the Ian C Allen albums (I think I've lent it out ATM) shows an A5 somewhere near Norwich with a train of DX containers on Conflats. They're carrying some sort of aggregate but I forget what - not sheeted, anyway.

Edit - found it - 55 Years of East Anglian Steam, Plate 147. An A5, 4 vans then 19 or 20 DX containers, almost all on Conflats but two in medium goods, one on what looks like a flatcase, none sheeted. No indication of what's in them, if they're laden.

It's possible that the rules were changed at some point.

I've looked up open containers in two rulebooks,

Instructions for the loading and securing of containers on rail vehicles (February 1961 BTC)

Section B - Open containers, part 2 Types of wagon to be used.

'Open type containers must be loaded in Low, Medium or High-Sided merchandise wagons.

Conflats must NOT be used as the side securing rings of the containers are not designed to take the strain set up by chaining.'

It had changed slightly by the 1969 issue of the working manual for rail staff (Mauve pages) Section B - Open containers, part 2 Types of wagon to be used.

'Open type containers must be loaded only in high-sided goods wagons.

Conflats must not be used as the side securing rings of the containers are not designed to take the strain set up by chaining.'

Jon

Archived